“Stung all over legs” 1 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #7 of 21 Activities in Road Town
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery invites you to live the dream of swimming with dolphins in the Caribbean paradise of Tortola. We offer a range of programs for all ages, a family-friendly adventure you will never forget.
South Wales
3 attraction reviews
“Stung all over legs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Well as others suggest the time with the Dolphins was totally just a photo opportunity. The worst thing for me was that I was stung all over my legs - staff said it was reaction to the Algae but the s
stings on my legs were red, raised and bubbled, some were lines, I had to leave the water half way through and staff brought vinegar bandages to ease the pain, my thoughts are it was jelly fish stings from them attached to the fences and their tentacles broken off to sting you in the cloudy water - I would never advise anyone to do this for this reason and also for the rip off cost of photos.

Visited November 2013
DolphinDiscovery, Social Media Affiliate at Dolphin Discovery Tortola, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hello! Thank you for leaving your comments and taking the time to let us know about your experience with Dolphin Discovery, It's very important for us to procure the welfare of our guests, so we will let you know to the management about this so they can to follow up this matter. Thanks again.

4 attraction reviews
“My daughter loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We spent about 2 hours in the water with one large male (Kepler) and a smaller female (Nyla) and had a gtreat time learning the different behaviours. They had to bring out the big alpha male (Hippo) for my rides and pushes, so we got to meet lots of different animals and trainers.

The lagoon is large and all the dolphins appeared healthy and well cared for.

Visited May 2013
Dallas
“Had the most incredible time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife has done other dolphin experiences, but she said this one was the best by far. It was my first time swimming with the dolphins and I was amazed at all the tricks and rides they gave us. A little tip is to get there early in the morning as we were the only ones there for the first session.

Visited July 2013
Delaware, Ohio
“Fun, Unique sidetrip while in the BVI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I didn't think I'd enjoy swimming with the dolphins, but I really had fun. The trainers were friendly, group size was small, and dolphins were gentle and playful. It was a bit of a pain to get to and with all the pictures, etc. ended up being somewhat expensive, but still a good way to spend a couple of hours!

Visited September 2013
“Once in a lifetime ( because i wouldn't pay that money again)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I went on this trip as an excursion from the royal carribean cruise i was on. I have always wanted to swim with dolphins and I was not disappointed by the experience itself.. the dolphins are so well trained and I instantly felt comfortable in the water with them..Our dolphin was Maggie and I can't remember the trainers name but she was very good, a lady with us was very nervous about swimming out for the belly ride and she really made her feel calm and took the time to ease her in.

Now for the downside, the price.. ok so I know its never cheap to swim with dolphins and i understand the up keep of everything can be expensive so I think at least you should receive the cd of your photos as part of the price, they tell you cameras are not allowed. We paid 169 dollars each to go and then they asked for 149 dollars each for 1 printed photo and a flashdrive with the rest of our photos. The woman knew we were shocked by the price and said she would do a deal especially for us but we weren't to tell anybody else, she offered a cd with both our pictures for 80 dollars, I was still not happy handing over the money but it's a once in a lifetime thing that we wanted photos of.

I was very disappointed that I felt like they were taking advantage of the fact that people would want the photos, I feel the cd should be included in the price and then you can pay extra for print outs or photo albums which they offer.

Amazing experience that I don't regret doing, just slightly tainted by greed in my eyes.

Visited September 2013