“Great Little Place!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maria's by the Sea

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Road Town
Maria's by the Sea
You added Maria's by the Sea to your Saves list
Road Harbour, Road Town, Tortola   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Road Town
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Great Little Place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

During a recent trip to the BVI's we stayed on 2 seperate occasions at Maria's By the Sea. Our first night was in a non-view room over the parking lot. We arrived on the ferry from St. Thomas and walked the 3-5 minutes to Maria's. The room was spotless, had air conditioning, 2 double beds, and basic non-fancy decor. It had an in-room reridgerator and a coffee pot. We had a 7:00 am ferry to catch the next morning so the location was perfect. My daughter loved the swimming pool and the food was expensive, (but about avg for the BVI) but good and portions were huge.

Our second night, about a week later, was on the third floor water front room and it was beautiful. Again, the room was spotless, the AC was really noisey - but I shut it off and opended the sliding door - the screens were well sealed. The view was beautiful. There were also deck chairs to sit outside on, coffee maker, refridg, and the decor was a little nicer - still basic - but nice. Again, we used the pool most of the late afternoon and early evening.

My only complaint (and its not really one) is that I did finally get used to the roosters and now that I'm home I miss hearing them.

I found the staff to be very nice and helpful. They even stored a bag for me for a few days. I would not hesitate to stay here again - it was a very clean safe hotel with great helpful people.

• Liked — Close to everything in RoadTown
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

Don't be put off by the negative reviews. We stayed here one night before our Windjammer cruise. The hotel is not fancy but the room was fine. The pool has been newly renovated. The grounds seemed to be well maintained. The staff were especially helpful and even went out of their way to assist with locating our lost baggage. The food at the restaurant was above average. If you are looking for a place to stay for one night or more, good location and friendly staff ... this is your place. I would not hesitate in going back.

• Liked — location, staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

This hotel was perfect for my two week stay in Tortola BVI. The room was huge with a spacious balcony overlooking the harbor. I was on the third floor and fell asleep each night listening to the waves hit the shore. There was cable TV, a small kitchen (sink, small refrig, cabinets, coffee maker) but not a stove or microwave. The room and bath were very clean.

The staff was friendly and accomodating and Maria herself is percious. I ate in the restaurant several times and found it to be adequate although it is a bit expensive as most restaurants are on the island. Groceries are also very high.

Stayed January 2007
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

We visited Peter Island Resort on our honeymoon in May of 2005. I had read a review on Trip Advisor that suggested if you fly in late in the day/evening, to stay in Tortola at Maria's by the Sea as it's reasonable, clean, and very close to the ferry that takes guests over to Peter Island.

I booked a room directly with the property and my husband and I flew in very late in the day - about 8 pm. We arrived at Maria's and checked-into our room. The floors in the lobby and elevator were badly scuffed and there were miscellaneous clothing tags strewn in the elevator. However, it got much worse when we went to our room.

They put us in the oldest, shabbiest room on property. The drapes were broken and hanging off the windows, same with the blinds which were dirty and had open, gaping holes. The bed looked like something that nobody would ever want to sleep in...and best of all...there was a huge -and I mean huge 6" cockroach running across the wall when we came in. I know we're in the tropics and bugs are the norm...but dear God...are you kidding me? I refused to stay in that room and we went to the lobby to ask for another room.

At the front desk, Maria herself tried to upsell us into a 'room with a view' for about $50.00 more a night. As it was going on 9:30 or 10 at night and we were departing on a 7 am ferry - I felt that the view was highly unnecessary and simply asked for another room that wasn't in disrepair and was absent of bugs.

She had her staff show us two other rooms - both adjacent to the original room and in as bad condition as the first. I refused both rooms and went back to the desk.

I was getting upset because this was the start of our honeymoon and we were tired, hungry and really just wanted to get situated after a long day of traveling. Finally, we were shown a perfectly nice room, completely updated and modern - and in the same price category as the original room.

I felt that we were intentionally put into the original room to force us to upgrade. I came to this conclusion after discovering that many rooms in the remodeled part of the facility were vacant. Why we weren't taken to the better rooms right off the bat really convinced me that the property was trying to take advantage of us to gain an upgrade.

The bottom line is that it really had nothing to do with the price for us - we were already paying a great deal of money per night in Peter Island on this trip. It came down to the principle of not being taken advantage of and receiving what we paid, in good faith, for.

After sleeping all night with the lights on and stuffing towels underneath the door, we departed Maria's for Peter Island the next morning. Everything got much better from there.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — shabbiness/bugs
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay at this hotel or if you do, ask for the updated part of the facility
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

Stayed here 1 night before heading out on a chartered catamaran.

This hotel is being renovated and they should tell guests prior to booking a reservation that the pool is closed and that the construction crews start at 7:00 am, sharp!!!

This didn't really bother us, since we arrived around 6:30 pm and were up early anyway so we could go shopping a little while before boarding our boat at noon. But there were other guests that were very upset.

This hotel is very close to the ferry dock (less than a 5 minute walk) and very close to Pusser's (for dinner) and shopping.

The hotel choices in Road Town are very slim, so this is probably the best option, based on my experience and suggestions from other travelers.

The rooms were clean and big, but the water was turned off for over an hour during the morning and the hot water only lasted about 2 minutes the night before and then again the next morning after the water came back on. There was no hot water for the 2nd person showering.

We inquired about these problems and after we got no where with the very evasive front desk personnel, we asked to speak to the manager. We were told that the manager was not there. I then asked, "well who is the lady that I see standing in the back office (this lady was dressed well, in a suit, and looked like the manager-type)???" I was told that was NOT the manager. So, I called out to the woman in the back and come to find out , she IS the manager. Even though her attitude and explanations were not much better than the front desk personell, she discounted our rate.

The restaurant was very expensive for what you got. Two pieces of french toast: $6.95. TWO PIECES!!! We laughed and the waitress even commented that she couldn't believe that they only served two pieces for that price, but nothing she could do. Add in the $2.50 small orange juice and you've got a small meal for $10.00.

We ended up going into town and getting a snack to hold us over until lunch.

We may stay here again, especially if just for the one night. If staying more than one night, then NO.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff. construction/remodeling.
  • Tips/Secrets — If staying here for 1 night, then it's okay. Any longer, look elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
denver, co
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

Maria's by the Sea is a quant and friendly hotel to stay at for a night or two. We arrived at Beef Island at 10:00 pm and did not want to try to get to Pewter Island at that time. We decided in advance to book one night in Road Town to rest and walk the town the next morning.

At 11:30 pm, the staff was kind and ready to make us a drink and sandwich so late at night. Our room faced the ocean (all do), was very clean and comfortable for the night.

We had breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant. The view of the ocean from the table was beautiful. The food was very good and people very friendly. There were some business guests at the restaurant so be sure to dress appropriatly at the table, bar and lobby.

Overall a nice place to stay while travleing through the town.

• Liked — Accomidating us with food and drink so late.
  • Disliked — Pool closed
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

We stayed here for one night before heading over to stay on Cooper Island for a week. We have been to Tortola many times doing bareboat charters, and this was our forst experience in a hotel. We loved Marai's by the Sea. The staff is so friendly and welcoming. We had a ground floor room looking out at the sea and it was very comfortable and clean. The tv in our room didn't get the channel of the finale of my favorte show, so the gals at the front desk hooked me up in the lobby with that tv, a blanket, snacks, and drinks!! They went way out of their way to accomodate me and my hubby.

I would really recommend this hotel.

• Liked — staff friendliness
  • Disliked — could use a fresh paint job
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maria's by the Sea? Share your experiences!