“Best pizza” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sharky's Cantina

Sharky's Cantina
Road Town | Road Reef Marina, Road Town, Tortola (Formerly Sharky's MexItalian Grill)
+1 284-494-8140
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Road Town
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar, Pizza, Grill
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night
Description: An innovative new restaurant, located on the west side of Road Town overlooking the Sir Francis Drake Channel. Sharky's features fresh food, made in house daily, at prices you won't believe. Now serving pizza AND delivering to Road Town locations, including The Moorings, TMM, & Conch Charters!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Best pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

As an American living on the island, I have been on the search for authentic pizza. Found it last night. The location may be a little difficult to find if you are not from here, but it's perfect. The breeze off the ocean keeps the outside deck cool. I will be back for Mexican food as the menu is enticing. I came with my husband, but there was a large family group and a couple dating there also. Atmosphere very nice for all.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The food was delicious and good. Tried the chimichanga and they were awesome. You could feel the freshness of the Pico de Gallo on the side. The for a main course tried the Flautas and was also very good. My friend tried the Quesadillas and it was also vey good. The fried beans that they place on the side was amazingly good. The ocean view they have also is very nice and a lot breeze when you sit outside.

Tortola
“Best pizza on Tortola”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

First off I'm a local or at least I'm an ex-pat who's lived on Tortola for the past two years. So what you might ask? Well for starters it's a small island and we eat out a lot which means that if we go to a restaurant here we go many times and get to know the menus really well. It also means if someone has a bad meal a lot of people hear about it and a restaurant can suffer badly from a few reviews and in fairness that happened with Sharky's Mexitalian when it first opened.

I can now honestly say hands down it is the most consistently great restaurant on Island for what it does which in case you hadn't worked It out is Mexican and Italian food. Whilst the burritos and enchiladas lack the raw heat of Mexico, they are full of flavour and incredibly moorish. The burgers which John makes himself are outstanding, the Parmesan, truffle oil fries are Devine and the rest of mains highly satisfying. It's not top end and that's not its price point. It's genuine well thought out food made with passion.

What makes it a great restaurant though and not simply a very good one is also the passion that the owner John puts into everything on his menu. If it says slow cooked pork burrito he means the pork is slow roasted for a day basted in a family recipe of Cajun spices and will tell you exactly how he does it, He's now doing pizza (he started two days ago actually) with a pizza oven that would feed half of manhattan. And we love pizza, it's our go to food at least twice a week (bad I know!). The thing about John though is that he's been doing it for 30 years and it really does show. When some people say their 'doing pizza' they mean they're 'googling' pizza dough recipes and banging around like a college kid with a near empty fridge, especially in Tortola. We've eaten all of the pizzas on Island many times over. If you're looking for a Pizza Hut cheese feast head to Virgin Queen but the base is thick and chalky and the copious amounts of cheese. If however you want really authentic, lovingly made, as good as it gets in NYC, Italy or anywhere else in the world with a fresh perfectly made thin crust, beautifully sweet tomato base and delectable topping combinations (I've just eaten a mushroom with truffle and white wine with homemade Italian sausage pizza for dinner) then go to Sharky's. I am not kidding, the pizza is good, very, very good. And if you like it clean and simple, we couldn't stop at one and had the margarita for dessert and it was fantastic as well, so try that too!...

What's my motivation for giving it such a glowing review? Well this is my first ever trip advisor review and it is being written as soon as I got back from eating there. I'm also writing a long review and still thinking about that pizza as I do. That's why I can confidently give it a five star rating. I also think I'm the first to review their pizza but I certainly don't think I'll be the last!

They only started doing pizzas on Wednesday and I'm leaving island tomorrow morning at 6am for a month. When I come back they'll be closed for August which means I've just had a slice of pizza heaven and it may be two months before the next.

Oh and if you like tequila John is also your man for that!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pflugerville, Texas
“This place is the real deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We were a bit skeptical of the sign when it said Mexitalian, but as soon as John, the owner, said it was Sonoran Mexican, I was sold. Unfortunately in Texas we can't get real Mexican food, so it was exciting to find a restaurant in the BVI that prides itself on authentic Mexican recipes similar to a Tucson landmark (Mi Niditos). I had a machaca (shredded beef) chimichanga that was delicious. The others in my party had the pork tacos and pork enchiladas, both of which they said were fantastic! We will be dining here again before we leave! I highly recommend the fantastic food, great service, and welcoming owner!

• Visited June 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great food, great service, and great ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This place was recommend to us by Chanel at Scrub Island. It is pretty new new and did not disappoint! The owner is from the US and did a great job accommodating us. He closes around 2 and due to the ferry system we would have missed the 2pm. He ended up waiting for us and kept the kitchen open to accommodate our late arrival.

The view is breath-taking and is right on the water. The staff is wonderful and very on top of things. The food was the best we have had to date our trip. We started with the wedge with homemade Gorgonzola dressing which was amazing. I got the fish sandwich which was more than I could even eat with truffle fries that were to die for. The bread on the sandwich was made fresh by local baker on the island. My husband had the enchiladas and I can only tell by the way he cleaned his plate that he loved them. I didn't even have a chance to snag a bite.

The owner, John, sat with us and talked to us about he island and local things to do. He had a great selection of beer (even yuengling).

I would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling the islands!!

Visited April 2014