We spent 7 nights at Scrub Island, December 11 - 18, 2010. We had done a ton of research (primarily using Trip Advisor) beforehand, and knew that there may be a few kinks that need to be straightened out at the resort because it is so new. That's certainly true - our chief complaint would be about the service (at the restaurants, around the pool, and room service). However, my boyfriend spoke with the manager at the beginning of our trip about poor service, and we noticed a marked improvement by the end, which was really nice. The service at the front desk was always great. There is still some construction going on as well, but that didn't bother us. When we arrived at Beef Island the manager, John, met us at Trellis Bay and we had a drink at the beach bar before taking a boat over to the resort. For our first night we were in an ocean view room, which was nice, but we upgraded the next day to a one bedroom suite (room 1224). For a lovely suite with a huge shower, full kitchen, and large, comfy patio, we thought it was absolutely worth the upgrade charge. We went over to the market at Trellis Bay and got a bunch of groceries (which were expensive, but less expensive than eating all of our breakfasts and lunches at the resort).
The resort: As noted above, our one bedroom suite was fantastic. The bed was very comfy. We spent a lot of time staring out from our patio, taking in the view of the marina, Camanoe Island, and other islands - one cool thing is that you can see the Beef Island airport tower from Scrub, so you can watch planes taking off and landing all day. The property is beautiful and well-designed, particularly the pool areas. In a year or so, after they complete construction activities, landscaping, etc., it'll be absolutely gorgeous.
Food: The menu at Caravela for dinner is quite limited, but we enjoyed our meals there (rather pricey though). Favorites were the curry shrimp, coq au vin, and jerked red snapper. We had several lunches at Tierra! Tierra! by the pool, and really liked the burger. Another reviewer recommended taking the dinghy to Last Resort or Marina Cay for dinner - we second that! We also went to a great sushi restaurant at the top of a mountain on Tortola. Because it was a slow time at the resort, One Shoe on the North Beach wasn't open.
Dive BVI: Our main reason for this trip was to finish our open water certification. We did our 4 checkout dives with Samantha, Andrew, and Vivian at Dive BVI - we were lucky enough to have them all to ourselves over 2 days, and they made everything stress-free and very, very fun. I loved it - I can't imagine a better first diving experience. We also did the Virgin Gorga excursion with them and explored The Baths, which was very cool.
The Spa: My boyfriend and I both had treatments at the spa with Courtney, who was amazing - I had the Eterno massage with the lymphatic body brushing and he had the deep tissue with hot stones. We had the spa villa to ourselves for the whole morning, and had breakfast delivered so one of us was able to chill on the patio by the pool and eat breakfast while the other had their treatment.
Other activities: You can take kayaks out from the front beach, and I really liked hiking from the resort over to "Big" Scrub - from the top of the hiking trail on the island you can see Virgin Gorda, the Dog Islands, and Tortola/the Beef Island airport. We stopped by North Beach during a tour of the island, but didn't spend any time there.
Overall: The property is gorgeous; the dive shop is fantastic; Courtney at the spa was awesome; the service needs some improvement; and the food is good but not great.
- Also Known As:
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina Hotel Tortola
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa And Marina
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina Hotel
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina is a luxury private island resort located one mile offshore from Tortola's Beef Island Airport. The resort features 50 guest rooms, one and two bedroom suites, 2 restaurants, 3 bars, 2 swimming pools, resort spa, 55 slip marina, gourmet market & cafe, boutique, onsite dive shop and 3 pristine beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Expedia, Venere, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.