Outstanding experience. We have stayed at Peter Island and the Ritz and this review will at times compare the three resorts. While Peter Island and the Ritz offer very nice experiences we would give the edge to Scrub. We stayed in a one bedroom suite. Here are my thoughts:
1) Rooms - big advantage to Scrub. To all of you who have either suffered though or read about paying big dollars only to come down and stay at very average rooms, this will not be a worry at Scrub. You will see your money on display. The suite was large (950 sq ft) and well appointed - including Sub Zero refrigerator, Wolf stove and a washer and dryer. Rooms are well constructed of stone walls and dark wood trim - ceilings are simply amazing. Peter Island cannot compare.
2) Views from the room. The Ritz probably wins, but it's close. If you stay in a 2nd or 3rd floor room, you have better views due to hight, also you are generally closer to the water than the other two resorts. We had views of other Islands and the Caribbean Sea, adding to this was watching the huge yachts coming in to the mariana in the evening. The views from Peter Island's Ocean-View rooms are poor in comparison.
3) Location - big advantage to Scrub. This is a great spot to explore other BVIs - Virgin Gorda (North Sound and the Baths), Jost Van Dyke and Anegada. Scrub offers daily trips to the Islands (at reasonable prices), since you are already in the BVI's you don't waste time going through customs. You can also arrange for private charters. Scrubs offers hourly complimentary shuttles, so getting off the Island is easy. At night, two off-Island restaurants are nearby on cays - Last Resort (funky atmosphere) and Marina Cay; both deliver fun experiences and good food. You simply cannot get this experience at the Ritz on St. Thomas - too far away from other Islands (except St. John).
4) On site restaurants. Food at Scrub was generally good to OK. What we liked was the availability of a low-cost alternative. The two of us were able to eat at the outdoor causal restaurant for under $100 including drinks, food was good with local dishes offered. A more elegant choice is offered indoors - prefixed four course menu that changes nightly for $60/person and was probably fairly priced, food was good but nothing great. At the Ritz it seemed like we were always paying over a $100 a night. The food at Peter Island was very good, especially for the price. However, that was five years ago and at that time was included today you have to pay extra.
5) Service. Good to Outstanding. When we first got to the resort, we had an issue with the location of the room - this was nicely and quickly resolved to our complete satisfaction. During our stay we never had an issue with slow or unresponsive service. If you have the need for over the top service, I guess you need to go to the Ritz - the Ritz is hard to beat in this category.
6) The beaches - Advantage Peter Island. Scrub's north beach is different, it's rugged, natural and wild - sand is rocky not soft; in someways it reminds me of beaches off California. If you are looking for the classic soft white sand palm tree-lined beach - Peter Island is your place. Maybe because we have spent time at the more typical Caribbean beaches on St. John, we enjoyed the differences of north beach. One nice advantage of north beach is that it is very private only about 10 to 16 people from the resort, also no boats at sea to spoil the views.
One problem with Scrub. Several of the rooms offer connecting rooms, this unfortunately creates a very big noise issue. While the rooms are well constructed, sound gets through due to the doors and the hard surfaces in the rooms that will not absorb the sound. Scrub really needs to look into sealing the doors much better. If you get a suite, this really is not much of an issue, because you can close the heavy wood doors to your bedroom and all is quite. It you get a regular room, you might want to request non-connecting rooms if this sort of thing bothers you.
All-in-all a great experience.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for your review about your trip to Scrub Island and your ranking of the top resorts in the area. We are glad to hear that Scrub tops the list in many categories. Your comments are honest and fair - we appreciate the feedback and will discuss improvements where suggested. We do hope that you will visit us again soon. In the meantime, join us on social media so we can stay in touch.
Report response as inappropriate
Martin Smith, Managing Director
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.