“Not bad but far from perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Scrub Island, VG1120, Tortola   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Get 2 Nights Free
Ranked #21 of 28 hotels in Tortola
Budapest, Hungary
“Not bad but far from perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a nice property, great location, a real escape from reality, the rooms are beautiful, the view is stunnig but the service is way behind that you would expect from Marriott, the quailty of food also needs to be improved. The staff needs some more training and it will be ***** :-)

Room Tip: I guess all the rooms are great, since all of them have a nice view on the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Martin S, General Manager at Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Scrub Island Resort. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you were pleased with your room and with the resort property. However, we are disappointed that you felt that you received less than stellar service on our island. We do our best to make sure that everyone is well taken care of while they are here. We will pass along your comments and work harder to make your next trip perfect.

Martin Smith, Managing Director, Scrub Island Resort

457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

So, I am still here in the BVI. I arrived on 1/20/13 with my wife (4 months pregnant) and our 2yr 3mo old daughter, and we do not leave until 1/26.

Getting Here
We flew in to St. Thomas because we could get a direct flight from IAD, and because flying to Beef Island would have cost us twice as much. I would probably do it again the same way considering cost, but it was a heck of a trip. The flight was easy enough- 4 hours direct. We then took a short taxi ride to downtown to catch the ferry. The ferry was okay, but after waking up at 5:30am, and being the one responsible for lugging the luggage I was not in the mood for waiting for it. Then the ride itself was fine. Beautiful scenery, but it's a big loud boat. 90 minutes later and you arrive in Road Town. Go through customs (you've just made the smallest trans-Atlantic trip from the US to UK possible). Catch another short cab ride to Trellis Bay.

Trellis Bay was actually a welcome site even though we were not yet at Scrub Island, mainly because you know you are close, but also because there are some nice little bars there on the water where you can start to unwind with a beer while waiting for the Scrub Island ferry. When the ferry arrived it was dark. The crew loaded all our baggage, and helped us aboard. We never touched another bag we didn't want to again. Within 15 minutes we were welcomed at the dock at Scrub Island with 2 cocktails (should have told them the wife was pregnant) plus a delicious juice for our daughter. We went to check in, were escorted to the room, shown around, and while we were there our bags arrived. Finally, we could relax.

The Resort Itself
So, I gave this 5 stars, but I was bordering on 4. It's a toss-up really. By no means is this place perfect. However, it was still probably the best vacation we've had including going to Hawaii and Kauai for our honeymoon. Part of the reason I gave this place 5 stars was due to the fact we got a deal on our room too, so we paid only $660/night for a 1 bedroom suite. I think normally it is closer to $1000.

Generally speaking, everyone here is nice and helpful. The problem, I think for some of the reviewers I read here in TA, is that initially they don't seem to be. What I mean is that most people sort of come off as somewhat laid back and maybe even a little indifferent. If you talk to them for more than a few seconds though, you get the impression that everyone is very friendly and wants to help. It just seems to be the way people are around here, and you will not find the sort of chipper, in-your-face-here-to-help attitude you'd expect at a US resort.

Also, generally speaking the resort is very well maintained. Service for your room is good, and there are little niceties everywhere- like you can take a kayak out from the beach for free. However, there were a few lights in the pool area that were in disrepair, and it was hard to notice actually, but the bottom hinge on the fridge in our room was rusty. That didn't cause any mechanical problem or anything, but something I noticed. And it's sort of hard to mark points off when it's a Sub Zero you're talking about. (The range was a Wolf, BTW.) However, I say this mainly to point out that if you are thinking you are going to see a 110% immaculate facility from top to bottom, you'll be disappointed. I really didn't have a problem with anything because nothing that was not in tip-top shape caused any real issues for us. It was more of aesthetic issues that I noticed.

One other important point- the Virgin Islands all seem to essentially be craggly rocks jutting out of the water. Keep this in mind if you are travelling with the elderly, young, or handicapped. This place has a lot of steep hills and steps. Our daughter was fine, but many people may not be. And unlike a big hotel, you do not have elevators to get you to the top floors. It was not an issue for us, but it could be for some, and it's worth mentioning.

The Good
So, the location is unbelievable. It is beautiful, quiet, and peaceful here. You are out in the ocean, but there is gorgeous land all around with all of the neighboring islands and cays. Scrub Island itself also has a good amount for you to do. The resort has 2 pools which you can see in the pictures on their site. They look small, and that's about right. However, the entire time we've been here we have basically had our pic of pool chairs, and had the lower pool to ourselves. I think that even if the resort is full, people tend to do a lot of excursions so they are out on boats all day. The beach in front of the resort is also small, but again, more than ample when you are sharing it with either no one or 3 other people. The water is crystal clear.

If you want to get a change of pace, head over to North Beach. It's either a 15 minute walk or get one of the drivers to run you over there. There, they have a little bar, a small pool, and a very secluded beach with lounge chairs. The beach is expansive, but it is all coral for about 100 yards out. Do not go out barefoot because there is a lot of sea life making for good snorkeling, but you're likely to get a serious foot injury if barefoot due to there being about a million sea urchins out there. Once you get past the shallow part where the waves break, you can see some pretty incredible coral formations and the snorkeling is great. I think Hawaii *might* have had more interesting fish, but I don't think the water was as clear.

Other than that, you can get plenty of excursions out to snorkel, visit other islands, or just to sail/boat around. We really wanted to go out on a day-sailing trip, but unless you are splitting it with someone or a group, then it is expensive. The pre-packaged excursions are more reasonable on price, but obviously less flexible.

We debated about whether to bring our daughter, but we're glad we did. She loves it here, and made the trip with no problem. She may actually be relaxing even more than my wife and I even though she has no "cares" at home that she had to leave behind. There's really nothing requiring you to leave the kids (even toddlers) at home, but of course that might be the goal.

The Average
Okay, the food is average. At the resort it's average and pricey. Even at places not at the resort, food was not great. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't great. We did eat at the Last Resort which everyone said is a must, and it was good, but again, we were not blown away or anything. For a good change of pace and some cheaper fare, try some of the places over at the docks at Trellis Bay like the Cyber Cafe. We ate there a couple times and the jerk chicken was really good. I would still go to the Last Resort as well. I'm not knocking it. I'm just trying to point out that if you want a gastronomic dream vacation, then go to San Francisco and north to wine country or NYC. Do not come here expecting Le Bernardin anywhere.

Service was mixed. Like I said above, I found most people to really be friendly and helpful. However, service is still a mixed bag. If you go to North Beach, there is usually one guy working there whether there are 2 people or 10. So, lunch with that many people can get a bit hectic especially considering that your cook and waiter is also your bartender. The one day it was busy there we did see another guy show up and stay to help, but he got a ride over in the taxi so Kern was slammed by the time help arrived.

Similar things happened even at the lower pool bar. They are very polite, they will bring your food to your chair with a smile, etc no matter what. However, one extra staff member on hand could make a big difference when suddenly the only 4 people at that pool want food and drinks in a 5 minute span.

Also, to really illustrate the mixture of service, our toilet broke one day. We called and within 5 minutes there was someone in the room to fix it. He was quiet and resolved the issue fully. I have been at super-fancy resorts where they still seem to manage to get lost on their way to your room for something like this.

Then again, one day we had to put out a Do Not Disturb sign in the afternoon while our daughter napped, and the cleaning service had not come yet. We called later to ask that they just take out the trash, which they did while we were at dinner. However, they only took the one trash can in the kitchen, not the full ones from both bathrooms.

And to completely flip it around- when they cleaned our room, they did whatever dishes were in the sink every single day!

The Bad
Towels. I saw other people mentioned this before we left and I agree. This is just stupid. I realize that since they have boats coming in and out constantly, they do need to maintain some sort of tracking so that 400 towels per day do not embark on ships. However, it's still annoying as hell to leave the pool area wondering if all your towels were checked back in properly. It just keeps you from reaching a 100% commitment to relaxation and losing your cares. It's always in the back of your mind.

This is sort of a future gripe, but there is also an expansion planned for the Beef Island airport. As it stands, you will currently get a handful of very small proprellor or tiny jets going overhead every day. They are generally nothing more than background noise. However, the airport expansion is designed to bring in large commercial jets to Beef Island, and will require a large expansion of the runway. A huge fill will be required to add a few thousand feet of land into Trellis Bay, and will end much closer out to Scrub.

Sooooooooo first and foremost, you will face a massive noise problem at this resort in particular. I hope the owner is lobbying hard against it, because honestly if I had to listen to even a few large jetliners that close overhead each day I would likely not come back. The ferry ride to get here from St Thomas, even with a 2 yr old, now would not deter me, but that would.

Second, the extension will almost entirely enclose Trellis Bay. You can expect that the Last Resort, and all of the small bars and restaurants on the beach there will go extinct unless people enjoy dining under a veil of jet fumes and (literally) deafening noise just a few hundred yard from the runway. Maybe in NYC or DC I might not care, but I sure as hell am not paying a lot of money to go to Tortola for that experience. So, then you'd have no option, but to eat at the resort, and you will get tired of that very quickly. Even if the quality and price of the food is not terrible, there is minimal variety.

I'm not an environmental expert so it's hard to comment on the environmental impact of the expansion. However, I'm not an idiot either. It's clear to see that the extension will require a massive fill, and would have a significant impact on the sea life. Now that might not be felt at North Beach, but it certainly would in Trellis Bay and I'd have a hard time believing there would not be *some* impact at Long Bay, Conch Bay, and probably also over on the south sides of Little and Great Camanoe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Martin S, General Manager at Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed comments about your recent visit to Scrub Island ...we are so happy that you enjoyed your trip to our resort. We appreciate your feedback because it helps us to craft the best experience for future guests... we will pass along all your comments to the appropriate personnel to maintain or improve our offerings as necessary to provide the best service. We do hope that you will visit us again on Scrub Island, and ask that you keep in touch via facebook or twitter til your return.

Earleville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a one week vacation at Scrub Island Resort in mid January, 2013. We have been traveling to the BVIs for over thirty years. This place is outstanding. Every employee we encountered understood the importance of customer service. At times they went above and beyond. Management, the HR staff, and most importantly, the employees, are to be complimented. Our interests include scuba diving, lounging by the pools and pool bar and sightseeing. We rented a jeep for a day and toured Tortola (again). I highly recommend Dede's Rent-a-car. Dede's owner, James Pickering, aka Dead Man, or his staff will deliver the car to the parking area adjacent to the ferry dock. No extra charge and reasonable. The staff at the onsite scuba shop, Dive BVI, did a great job as well. Brian and his crew will set up your equipment on board the boat if you like and will store it at the shop during your stay. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: There are less than 60 rooms at this resort. My sense was they all had a decent view. If you don...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed your trip to Scrub Island. With all your experience in the BVI, we greatly appreciate your wonderful comments and the high ranking for our resort. We always try to provide the best service and serenity to our guests. We are glad that you had a pleasurable visit and we will also pass along your compliments to our scuba partners at Dive BVI.

Please come back and visit us again, or keep in touch on facebook or twitter.

San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I husband arranged a surprise vacation for my birthday.
Scrub island was amazing and it was our best vacation time ever.
The resort is new and very quiet. Staff is friendly.
If you are looking for total relaxing time this is the place. No nightclubs, no loud surroundings, no shops...
Food was good, price understandably higher for a remote place even all restaurants around the other islands are the same. We had the best breakfast veggie omelet and tuna salad sandwich there! Delicious!! The Italian Chef Davide is very guest friendly and also MD Martin was super nice.
One thing that is very enjoyable is the BVI Dive shop on the island. Their trips are wonderful and personalized. The group is small and we never felt the commercialized aspect as you do in St. Thomas.
We enjoyed the quiet, peaceful and relaxing vacation and we are planning to go back in next few months!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your trip to the Scrub Island Resort and the BVI Dive Shop. We hope that you had a wonderful birthday on our island! Please come back and visit us again in the future, and connect with us on Facebook or Twitter to keep in touch. We will pass along our lovely comments to our executive chef and to our staff.

Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I should have written this sooner, but better late than never! Our first visit to Scrub was almost a year ago and I must say that the resort was just beautiful. It had a very intimate feel with gorgeous views of the marina and surrounding islands. From arrival to departure, Binnie and his staff made us feel like we were the only guests they had to take care of. The rooms are tropically elegant and well appointed. The restaurant and pool areas are inviting. The separate North Beach area on the backside of the island(easily accessible by hotel shuttle) provides a secluded, private feel that just adds to the experience. We're headed back to Scrub in just a few LONG weeks from now and we can't wait! Charles B.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Martin S, General Manager at Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review of Scrub Island. We are so glad that you found your first visit to us to be wonderful and that you will be joining us again soon. We hope that you will find your next trip to be as exquisite as the first. We will save a couple of chairs for you on North Beach. See you soon.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This resort was beautiful and definitely worth every penny! The restaurant and the food was great! perfect for a couples romantic experience. the moment you step on the dock your tempted to jump in the water..hands down there is not much i can say other than this resort was perfect!! Enjoy!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about your visit to Scrub Island. We are happy that we were able to provide a perfect vacation for you and that you found our island to be a "romantic" get away. We do hope that you will return again in the near future. In the meantime, please join us on facebook or twitter to keep in touch.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am a travel agent and sell (and travel to) luxury resorts all over. I can honestly say this was probably my favorite vacation. The resort and scenery are absolutely stunning. Everything is so clean and new. The water is just beautiful, and you can see uninhabited islands everywhere. The staff was wonderful and knew my name after telling only one person. However, this resort is NOT for everyone. If you are looking for lots of adventure, activities, and nightly entertainment etc you will not be happy here. This resort is about relaxing and enjoying the views.
I had a one bedroom ocean view suite and it was wonderful with a full kitchen, one and a half baths, and huge balcony overlooking the marina. Food was ok. That was probably my only downside. There are not many food options and with there being literally nothing else on the island except the resort the options are slim.
I would HIGHLY recommend doing an excursion with Dive BVI. They were amazing and I did the island hopping tour going to Peter Island, Cooper Island for lunch, the Indians and a couple others. It was really wonderful and gave us something to do during the day. Another day I took the ferry into St. Thomas to go shopping and that was fun as well. The ferry from the resort to Beef Island is every hour and very convenient.
Regarding flying in to stay at Scrub Island, I am SO glad I flew into Beef Island. It was going to be quite a bit less expensive for me to fly into St Thomas and take the ferry over to Tortola and then another ferry over to Scrub Island however it would have been very tiring and a LONG adventure. Also if you miss the last St Thomas ferry at 4/4:30 you are stuck and have to stay the night there.
Only other thing which did not bother me but may bother others is there is really not a beach at Scrub Island. I am more of a pool person anyways and the pools there were great so I was happy. I went one day over to North Beach to take a look at it and no one was there and it was a very small strip of sand with about 4 chairs. For a truly amazing beach you HAVE to go to Deadman's Beach on Peter Island. It is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.

All in all it was a great trip and I have sent several clients there since I have been back and all have really enjoyed it. I will be returning soon with some friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Scrub Island Resort. Your comments were wonderful, especially with your wealth of travel experience. To say that we were "your favorite vacation" is quite an honor. Plus we greatly appreciate that you are recommending Scrub to your clients. Thank you also for your comments about our dining options, we will pass along your feedback to our chef as we are striving to make improvements in that area. We are happy too that mentioned Dive BVI and the wonderful adventures that they offer to our guests. We hope that you will visit us again in the future, in the meantime please join us on social media to keep in touch.
Martin Smith, Managing Director

Been to Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!