Our family of four (two young children ages 6 and 4) spent five nights at Scrub Island in a one-bedroom ocean view suite. It truly was a memorable vacation.
About the room . . .
All rooms seem to have the same perfect view which is the marina and clear blue water.
We loved the balcony and spent a lot of time on it (eating meals, drinking coffee, etc.)
Rooms and amenities in the room are clean, high-end and in perfect condition.
The kitchen could use a few more cooking and baking tools (i.e., a complete set of flatware, bake ware (other than a broiler tray), a water pitcher, etc.) There are way too many sets of dishes (3 were in our room).
Amazing appliances (refrigerator, stove top, oven, washer & dryer).
Dishwasher (but no detergent available on the island – bring your own).
Suites have both espresso maker and coffee maker.
I ordered provisions from Bobby’s Market which they delivered to Trellis Bay and were loaded onto the Scrub Ferry to take over with us.
We were disappointed that we could not find any way to play music in the room. An in-room ipod dock would have been nice.
Great and fairly clean. We enjoyed the swim-up bar. Our kids loved the waterslide and infinity pool. There are no pool or beach toys, so bring your own. Beach towels are not always available. Consider bringing your own.
Marina Beach. . .
Not very big, however, there are free kayaks and clear-bottom floats to move around the bay area. A paddle board would be an awesome addition.
North Beach. . .
Be sure to visit North Beach. It is an easy walk (with hills) or you can ask for a ride. It is a beautiful quiet beach you won’t want to miss. There are secluded spots on a path with beach chairs, umbrellas. There is a small plunge pool and bar on North beach
Luis the bartender from Dominican Republic was great. He was very friendly and remembered our names.
Dive BVI. . .
We loved Finey at Dive BVI and took the Anegada day trip and loved it. It was well worth the time and a good value. Marc the guide on the trip took his time getting to know everyone on the trip. He pointed out many good places to snorkel and things to look out for.
Market . . .
A fair supply of very basic food and snacks. Very high prices ($10 bag of potato chips, $12 for pint of blue bell ice cream).
Gym . . .
The gym was great. Very clean and all new and state-of-the art equipment. It’s kind of surprising that they’ve allocated this much space and money on the gym.
Restaurants . . .
Cheeseburger in Paradise night at Caravella – way overpriced ($40 for adults and $20 for children) – for soup, hamburger, chips, salsa, fries, conch fritters, shrimp and dessert. Tierra Tierra, the main restaurant does offer a children’s menu (meals about $10). Adult menu does not change and is pricey. Food was good, but glad we only ate here once. I’m very happy that I planned provisions so well that we were able to eat so many meals in our room.
Other things to know . . .
You can borrow a cooler from the front reception area for day trips, but ask early as they only have a few.
The Scrub Island Ferry only runs on a specific schedule. From Trellis Bay to Scrub on the 00:45 from Scrub to Trellis on the 00:30 of each hour. Plan accordingly.
Marina Cay is very close (Pusser’s). While we didn’t visit this island, we spoke to a few people who did. There is ferry service from Trellis Bay that can take you there.
Overall, we truly enjoyed our stay and would return with our family and recommend it to others. It is very family friendly and accommodations are perfect. The facilities are new, but the customer service and attention to detail is lacking. We learned while at the resort that Marriott has invested in the property and added it to the Autograph Collection. Perhaps this will help with customer service, training and attention to details.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina is a luxury private island resort located one mile offshore from Tortola's Beef Island Airport. The resort features 50 guest rooms, one and two bedroom suites, 2 restaurants, 3 bars, 2 swimming pools, resort spa, 55 slip marina, gourmet market & cafe, boutique, onsite dive shop and 3 pristine beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Marriott, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina Hotel Tortola
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa And Marina
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection Tortola, British Virgin Islands