“Nice Facility and Family Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

You added Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Buy 5, get 2 free +$500
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Tortola
Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Florida, Florida
“Nice Facility and Family Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Our family of four (two young children ages 6 and 4) spent five nights at Scrub Island in a one-bedroom ocean view suite. It truly was a memorable vacation.

About the room . . .
All rooms seem to have the same perfect view which is the marina and clear blue water.
We loved the balcony and spent a lot of time on it (eating meals, drinking coffee, etc.)
Rooms and amenities in the room are clean, high-end and in perfect condition.
The kitchen could use a few more cooking and baking tools (i.e., a complete set of flatware, bake ware (other than a broiler tray), a water pitcher, etc.) There are way too many sets of dishes (3 were in our room).
Amazing appliances (refrigerator, stove top, oven, washer & dryer).
Dishwasher (but no detergent available on the island – bring your own).
Suites have both espresso maker and coffee maker.
I ordered provisions from Bobby’s Market which they delivered to Trellis Bay and were loaded onto the Scrub Ferry to take over with us.
We were disappointed that we could not find any way to play music in the room. An in-room ipod dock would have been nice.

Pools ...
Great and fairly clean. We enjoyed the swim-up bar. Our kids loved the waterslide and infinity pool. There are no pool or beach toys, so bring your own. Beach towels are not always available. Consider bringing your own.

Marina Beach. . .
Not very big, however, there are free kayaks and clear-bottom floats to move around the bay area. A paddle board would be an awesome addition.

North Beach. . .
Be sure to visit North Beach. It is an easy walk (with hills) or you can ask for a ride. It is a beautiful quiet beach you won’t want to miss. There are secluded spots on a path with beach chairs, umbrellas. There is a small plunge pool and bar on North beach

Staff …
Luis the bartender from Dominican Republic was great. He was very friendly and remembered our names.

Dive BVI. . .
We loved Finey at Dive BVI and took the Anegada day trip and loved it. It was well worth the time and a good value. Marc the guide on the trip took his time getting to know everyone on the trip. He pointed out many good places to snorkel and things to look out for.

Market . . .
A fair supply of very basic food and snacks. Very high prices ($10 bag of potato chips, $12 for pint of blue bell ice cream).

Gym . . .
The gym was great. Very clean and all new and state-of-the art equipment. It’s kind of surprising that they’ve allocated this much space and money on the gym.

Restaurants . . .
Cheeseburger in Paradise night at Caravella – way overpriced ($40 for adults and $20 for children) – for soup, hamburger, chips, salsa, fries, conch fritters, shrimp and dessert. Tierra Tierra, the main restaurant does offer a children’s menu (meals about $10). Adult menu does not change and is pricey. Food was good, but glad we only ate here once. I’m very happy that I planned provisions so well that we were able to eat so many meals in our room.

Other things to know . . .
You can borrow a cooler from the front reception area for day trips, but ask early as they only have a few.
The Scrub Island Ferry only runs on a specific schedule. From Trellis Bay to Scrub on the 00:45 from Scrub to Trellis on the 00:30 of each hour. Plan accordingly.

Marina Cay is very close (Pusser’s). While we didn’t visit this island, we spoke to a few people who did. There is ferry service from Trellis Bay that can take you there.

Overall, we truly enjoyed our stay and would return with our family and recommend it to others. It is very family friendly and accommodations are perfect. The facilities are new, but the customer service and attention to detail is lacking. We learned while at the resort that Marriott has invested in the property and added it to the Autograph Collection. Perhaps this will help with customer service, training and attention to details.

Room Tip: I suggest requesting a second or third floor room (note that there are only stairs and lots of them...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Tortola
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

My family and I reside on Tortola and we decided to take a trip to Scrub over a weekend this August. The boat ride from Trellis to Scrub was quick and simple, however crew aboard not very helpful (we had a stroller with our 11 month old infant, they just stood there and watched me attempt to heave it onto their boat, nearly tripping). Upon arrival at Scrub I felt the outdoor atmosphere was quite lovely.

The pool area had a nice looking swim up bar, though I didn't see much shade. It was very, very hot on Scrub, albeit it's hot in general right now in the BVI, but there's little retreat from the sun on Scrub.

We asked the boat captain on arrival also how to get to the restaurant for lunch, and he merely pointed at the front desk area and told us to go there (I find it hard to believe staff doesn't even know where their restaurant is). So we went to the front desk, and were told that we shouldn't take the elevator upstairs because there's a lot of things on the next floor that are "cluttered and hard to navigate" to quote him directly (kind of disappointing with a heavy stroller and 100+ degrees outside). He instead sent us back outside and pointed us (not escorting us), all the way down to several flights of stairs that we were to climb up, didn't offer us any help at all.

Once at the restaurant "Tierra! Tierra!" it was a literal ghost town. It was almost 1pm at this point. No restaurant staff around. We stood there, husband went off to track down a hostess, waitress, anything at this point. Eventually a waitress appeared and seated us under the pavilion there. The FIRST thing I noticed that sent a wrong message to me about this property was when our drinks arrived, in cheap plastic cups. I would expect a 5 star resort to be serving mixed drinks in glass, all drinks should be, for the price, unacceptable. We ordered a "Mediterranean" Salad with chicken, a fruit plate (that was supposed to come with yogurt but never did) and my husband had a crab cake sandwich. We waited an hour for our food, there was a total of two other tables and us. The server first brought my fruit plate and I go "where is everyone else's food?" she responds "oh I thought you would just want this first"...Another major fubar on their part, and more waiting. With a crying and melting down 11 month old at this point, I myself had just about had it and too felt like crying, wasting an entire day off from work to come here with my family. The food finally all came out, the fruit plate missing it's supposed "yogurt" and a small muffin accompanied for a $17 plate (UNACCEPTABLE anywhere in the BVI). My salad was piddly, a few crumbles of blue cheese and bland chicken, missing again, much of the ingredients listed on the menu. Their chef CLEARLY doesn't even look at the menu and just throws together things on a whim because the description does not match the food at all.

We left the restaurant all too disappointed. I had hoped to visit their spa that day for a message, but since we had wasted over 2.5+ hours in their restaurant waiting for food/service, etc. there was no time left hardly. We went back down to the front desk when the manager there asked "so how was your lunch?". I responded "Not so good...". His response? "Oh OK". I wanted to laugh and just walk out the door at this time, what kind of response is that when a customer is clearly dissatisfied? I asked if he had a suggestion box or ANYTHING where I could leave my comments. He jotted down an e-mail address on a piece of paper and said to sent them there...

I didn't take the time yet to e-mail them, but overall I felt it was not only handled badly, but the whole staffing situation is laughable and very poor at Scrub. I would never return here for a day-trip again, terrible food and aloof/unconcerned staff. Their rooms may be nice, but a 5 star resort is supposed to be about much more than rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ScrubIslandResort, Managing Director at Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience on your recent visit. We take pride in what we do and strive to make each experience on Scrub Island a good one. I apologize and invite you to contact me directly at ----- to discuss your experience.

Martin Smith, Managing Director
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I spent 10 days at Scrub. We had no idea what to expect and were pleasantly surprised at the accomodations. We had a wonderful, relaxing time.

We had a 1 bedroom suite. It was huge, a beautiful kitchen, with granite and stainless appliances, a washer dryer, eating area, sitting area, family room with tv, large bedroom and really nice bathroom. We also had two separate balconies. The kitchen was fully outfited with everything you'd need.

The suites are privately owned and managed by Scrub, so we weren't sure if we were on our own, or in a resort at first. There is a free ferry running every hour between Scrub and Trellis Point. The people at Marina Cay will also send a ferry over if you choose to eat dinner there.

The pool area was very pretty, lots of umbrellas and an unusual pool lay out covering two levels. There is also a private beach where you can get a ride and spend the day at the beach, with a bar set up.

The spa is in a beautiful setting and very well done. My facial and foot and head massage was wonderful.

The provision store is no more costly than the ones in Tortola, certainly not cheap, but very convenient to buy snacks and breakfast items.

What I think is happening is the management is resting on the laurels of how pretty the resort is, and not paying attention to the details of the service. Most of the staff is very friendly and sweet. The reception area is very well trained and had great follow up. I just have a strong suspicion the rest of the staff has not been properly trained on customer service at a luxurious resort. The same person driving the ferry one moment, was doing turndown service the next and working as the bellmen the next. There should be proactive customer service, not reactive. At one point I wondered, is Oscar the only one working at this resort? Everyone called him for everything, poor guy must go home exhausted every night..

We were given literally no info upon arrival. We were handed off to someone else midway to our room. We had no idea how to get to the pool, restaurant hours, no room service menu, no instructions on the ferry schedule. I wasn't even sure if our room would be cleaned daily, or if we were on our own since the unit was privately owned.

The restaurant menu is very limited and never changes. There is no way to stay there and eat every day. Breakfast was the biggest disappointment. We ordered eggs benedict, traditional style, and got a cold english muffin, bacon (not canadian bacon) and an egg with hardened sauce on top for $16.

The cushions by the pool need to be replaced or cleaned asap. Whoever chose white wasn't thinking clearly. They are stained and gross looking, and clearly can't be that old.

This sounds petty, but it was a hassle every single day finding a towel, whether we were going on a trip or sitting by the pool. They would bring 12 out and expect that to last the day. They'd be gone in moments. When we'd walk over by the bar to hunt them down the staff would just point to the lobby and tell us to go back there and ask them. One day the manager brought them out and complained to me that the boaters kept taking them, and that they had over 1,000 towels. Well, not my problem, but clearly your set up isn't working for the people staying at the resort. Don't wait til a guest tells you that you are out, check on them every 15 minutes if you are only going to put out 12 at a time, or keep a stash where they can be refilled.

Dive BVI is a great addition to the resort. We took a couple of really fun trips and they are a well run, organized operation.

Being the only resort on an island has it's ups and downs, you are a captive audience and coming and going becomes a lot of logistics I hadn't thought of before going. You have to catch a boat to get anywhere.

They are new and I highly suggest the management read a few books on customer service in the hotel industry. We got caught in San Juan on a layover and spent the night there at the Ritz. After being there a few hours I said, this is what Scrub is missing - the water sitting out on the beach and by the pool, someone to set up the beach chairs. They need to identify themselves and a few small things could go a long way. They could offer drink service regularly when sitting by the pool or beach, give sorbet out at the same time everyday, anticipate the needs of the guests, etc.

The marina is lovely, lit at night and it was interesting seeing the boats coming and going. However, boats will drop their oil right into the water which was a horrifying sight to see considering the coral and beach right there.

It's not as negative as the review may portray - they have such a beautiful setup, they could be phenomenal. If I were an owner I'd be very nervous to have my investment relying on their management. Not to mention during the rain our unit was taking in rain through the windows and walls.

We are not the the type to go back to the same place twice, and I do feel as though we really got to see a lot of the BVI's this trip. We came back relaxed and happy and I would recommend Scrub, just be aware it's not a service oriented resort.

Room Tip: If you are on the first floor you will hear the people above you moving chairs and talking.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Beautiful property and marina that is only a 5 minute ferry ride from the airport.  It is ashame that the staff lacks some basic customer service skills because it truly could be an amazing vacation spot.

(+'s)
- beautiful room with nice amentities and views of ocean/marina.
- relaxing pool with bar.
- free ferry ride to visit/dine off Scrub Island including Marina Cay and Last Resort (both very good)
- provisional store is stocked with a lot of common items and is a cheaper alternative for dining if you get a suite that has an impeccable kitchen for cooking.

(-'s)
- service across the board is very spotty --- seems like the staff on island expected to fill many roles at once (i.e. Captain of boat, turn down service, bell staff) and seem overwhelmed.  This effects their ability to service client needs.
- resort beaches could be beautiful if staff spent some time every morning cleaning up rubbish and chairs.
- difficulty getting towels in the early AM (usually not available for guests until after 11am) -- if vacationing would recommend bringing own beach towels.
- after confirming with Scrub management travel arrangements we found ourselves stranded at the airport because they left on the ferry without us.
- specialty drinks are pre-made and done with little care based on cost.
- marketing materials say one thing (i.e. Ferry ride after hours) but staff seem unwilling to accommodate

• Stayed August 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked 2 rooms to try this resort out, having been frequenters of only 5 star in the caribbean. We had a family emergency and needed to reschedule and/or cancel. We called and they seemed accommodating and understanding. After telling us they would work with us on a reschedule, we called a second time and left word that we would need to get back with dates because we could not get flights. We handled our emergency and while away for that received a call asking "where are you?" The accommodation was a sham, apparently. This is a high risk company to deal with.

Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I was happy with the accommodations at Scrub Island - very nice rooms with marble counter tops and bathroom facilities. Where they failed to meet my expectations as a supposedly top-rate resort was on the services. They asked for my arrival info, but I had to wait more than 15 minutes at the airport for the ride to the boat. When I got to the dock, I was told that the boat had "just left" (even though they supposedly knew when I was coming) so the driver had to call the resort and have them send another boat for me. This type of experience happened repeatedly throughout my stay. On another day I had the boat drop me at Marina Cay (near-by island) and when I was ready to return, I had them call Scrub Island. I was told the boat would pick me up during the next regular route. I waited more than 30 minutes on the dock, and when I finally saw the boat, it drove right past me toward Scrub Island. I again had to call and they had to send someone over to get me and bring me back to the resort. While the individual rooms are nice, some aspects of the resort are lacking even thought it only opened in 2010. The chairs at the pool have stained cushions, the chairs at the beach are broken and dirty plastic, and throughout the resort the overhead ceiling fans have broken or completely missing blades. The spa is wonderful and the masseuse is top notch - I would highly recommend her even though the current facility is actually one of the houses built within the resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Went in in our motor boat but stayed at the hotel. Generous sized, CLEAN elegant rooms with pillow top beds and friendly staff. Restaurants are excellent but pricey (but this is so in all the BVI). ThThe marina is just as great. I will definitely go back soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!