We spent our "school break" family vacation at the new Scrub Island Resort in the British Virgin Islands March 25-30, what a delight!!!! The resort is brand new and the island development still a work in progress but the accommodations are beautiful, spacious and offer spectacular views of the most beautiful water the Caribbean has to offer and the marina where a variety of boats and yachts come and go.
There is a 2 level pool, swim up bar and restaurant serving sandwiches, salads, etc. The main restaurant served breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had several excellent meals and they also did these wonderful buffets, both in the restaurant and poolside. The conch fritters are much better than what we got at Cooper Island by the way. Unlike Cooper Island's variety, they had conch in them.
There is also a great fitness club with every machine possible but I took the outside route most mornings and ran laps around the island, being from Florida I found the uphill portions a welcome challenge. We didn't hit the spa but we shared a boatride with the masseuse who told us about the great services. Also by the way the BVIs have it figured out on WIRELESS. It is available everywhere and mostly free. Scrub Island Resort had great service everywhere, including the pool and we found most places during our visit it was available. Ipads were in use all the time in all places.
The staff is caring, accommodating and friendly. We were greeted upon arrival by the General Manager Martin.... can't recall his last name but he wished us well and saw him several times during our stay. The service was great for the most part, still a "work in progress" for some things like room service but when we asked for something we got it with a smile and a thank you.
My son did his first scuba dive and Matt and Rupert from Dive BVI were fantastic. My wife and son took the learning course then we did a dive on George Dog which was tres cool. Saw lobster, barracuda, nurse shark, lots of fish and beautiful coral.
By the way while I think of it, we flew Jet Blue from Orlando to San Juan and then American over to Beef Island. It was a 6:30am flight and still after a 2 hour layover were at the resort by noon. You catch literally a 2 minute cab ride to the dock and the Scrub Island boat takes you to the island in less than 10 minutes. Truly a great experience and a neat twist on planes, trains and automobiles!!!! The Scrub Island Resort marina has space for up to 150' yachts...... and several large motor yachts and sailboats were tied up during our stay. They stay for a few days and enjoy the amenites then take off for another place. There is a market with great foods and drink, by the way a bottle of Absolut was $18.00, Amstel light was on sale.... so that and a jar of peanut butter and we were set.
One evening we went to Marina Key for dinner and had a very nice grouper dinner. It was fresh and delicious. We also went to Tortola and rented a car one day so we could travel the island. There is a series of roads that literally traverses the island from side to side, over and back, up and down. Wow!!! Spectacular views and beaches and little villages abound. It's an amazing drive and not for the light hearted as you climb/descend narrow roads, dodge the locals and try to keep your eye on the road while looking at the beautiful water. We rode by the famous bomba shack famous for it's all night wild parties, especially during a full moon......
Whew this is exhausting but the resort is great, the people and food terrific. We will go back. The water and surrounds at Scrub Island and the BVIs in general are just spectacular.
- Also Known As:
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina Hotel Tortola
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa And Marina
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina Hotel
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina is a luxury private island resort located one mile offshore from Tortola's Beef Island Airport. The resort features 50 guest rooms, one and two bedroom suites, 2 restaurants, 3 bars, 2 swimming pools, resort spa, 55 slip marina, gourmet market & cafe, boutique, onsite dive shop and 3 pristine beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Venere, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.