“Absolute Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

You added Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Tortola
San Antonio, Texas
“Absolute Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had high expectations coming to Scrub. We knew that they were still doing construction and wondered how that would impact our stay. Scrub Island far exceeded all of our expectations! The construction was nearly completely unnoticed. The beauty of this place is unmatched. The staff was unbelievable, treating us as their own special guests from the moment we arrived until our departure. The food was fantastic, although a little pricey. Loved island hopping (boat was ready to take us and pick us up from the surrounding islands with just a call), but could not wait to get back to the resort. The pool was wonderful and relaxing. Loved snorkeling and kayaking. The only problem is that we had to leave.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Dana Point, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Scrub Island in Dec. 2010 for a week of rest and relaxation. From Los Angeles, it was a bit difficult to get to the resort - flight to Dallas, then to Puerto Rico, then to St. Thomas, fast ferry to Tortola, finally a quick speedboat to Scrub Island...a long day. But when we arrived we were pleased. Brand new resort, beautiful and very comfortable rooms, gorgeous setting.

The only issue was the resort is not finished. There was construction going on weekdays on villas next to the pool area. There is only one restaurant available and the food is only okay - apparently two more are planned. Food was fine for lunch though. But the hotel is very accommodating and will drop you off via speedboat/launch at several different restaurants within 5 minutes of the island. The Last Resort was our favorite restaurant during our stay. They were finishing up on a high-end gourmet market but it was not ready to open during our stay - we were disappointed, not only because we wanted more food options, but because the selection looked delicious from what we could see.

They will prepare a picnic for you and drive you on a quick trip to the beautiful beach on the other side of the island - nice loungers, a beautiful pool, snorkeling not so good. When resort is finished, there will be a bar and restaurant there too.

Fitness center was very well stocked with new equipment, towels, TVs, etc. Very nice and nicer than other 5-star resorts we've visited.

Also, be prepared to bring protection for the bugs - they are so small you can feel the bite but cannot see them. I only had a couple of bites but my boyfriend had literally hundreds. We think we were bitten when we visited a little restaurant on the shore at Tortola - delicious fish chowder but you definitely need bug protection. However, on our last day there, someone mentioned that Avon's Skin So Soft spray is what locals use to keep the bugs off, and we recommend everyone who visits should come prepared!

Staff was also inconsistent - in general, the male staff was very friendly and helpful; the women were far colder, slower service and not very accommodating.

All in all, we had a lovely time relaxing by the pool, snorkeling, kayaking, visiting Virgin Gorda (the Baths are a must!) and enjoying ourselves at Scrub Island. Right now, the resort wants to be better than it is, but it is on its way to being a special place once construction is completed and staff is further trained.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I wanted to chime in with my positive review. I just had my second visit to Scrub Island with my wife and friends and we are extremely pleased. The prices, service and attention we always receive are over and above the call of duty, especially from the hotel’s manager Martin. We all think that he’s is the perfect choice to put Scrub Island in the International Map. The food, the infrastructure and amenities are all wonderful, not to mention the paradise were it is located that is above many we have seen around the world.
Like any new project there are still details to work with… but I am sure that Martin and his staff will do an excellent job finding the logistic of this new venture.
We understand that this project is still underway and there are details that are not finished… but rest assures that they are being corrected and once finished it will be even better. We have stayed at the Marina, Hotel and the private homes and believe me all are top quality… not to mention the decoration, it is worth of an article in Architectural Digest
Keep the good work and we are sure that it will be more than a success.
See you soon
Chacho and Eitin Simonpietri

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Owings Mills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I have read some of the reviews and I believe that the person who said Scrub Island was the worst was not really there. It was so absolutely beautiful and clean and top quality, I was totally impressed. I have stayed at several 5 star resorts in my life and this one was at the top. The staff was so friendly I felt I knew them. The service was very good and the rooms were amazingly appointed and brand new. I loved the place overlooking the Marina and beautiful yachts. The food was also excellent with a marvelous buffet we had one evening. We always chose to eat outdoors but they had a beautiful indoor dining room. I plan on a return trip very soon. I LOVED IT.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We recently spent 10 days at Scrub Island Resort. I have been vacationing in the B.V.I. for the past 20 years staying on various islands. While there are several other nice resorts in the B.V.I. there is nothing that compares to Scrub Island for location (concience to airport and other islands ) , the stunning views and world class marina.
After walking out of Beef Island airport we were greeted by a friendly resort representative and within 20 minutes were on the dock at Scrub Island ! Once again the staff greeted us except this time we had a nice rum punch. It could not have gone any better.
The rooms and facilities are brand new. We spent each morning on our large deck watching the mega yachts and sailboats come and go. The rooms are very large and well equipped with large flat screen tv's and modern appliances.
The food was no less than excellent. While we are usally interested in quality not quanity the buffet was the best dinner we had during our stay. The variety of choices was unbelievable. My only complaint was they only offered that once a week.
This truly is a magnificent resort and i'm already booking another Scrub Island vacation. There is nowhere else I will be staying while in the B.V.I.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I just read with dismay some of the negative comments on this site and am astonished. We stayed on the Marina docks for 3 nights and every experience was excellent. From the dock staff led by MarinaJoe, to the food, to the massages by Emily and Courtney, to the island tour by the hotel manager, everything was topnotch. Only negative I can think of was some construction noise that could be heard by the upper pool but the view from there almost made up for it.
Everyone in our group of 6 rated this the highlight of out trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
San Juan, P.R.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We took a nine days family vacation on our boat from Puerto Rico. We stayed in St Thomas, Tortola, Virgin Gorda and Scrub Island. The highlight of our trip was Scrub Island. It was our first time there and the reason we went, was because some friends of ours stayed at the resort couple of months before. As soon we arrived at the marina, we called Channel 16 and we were assigned our slips right away. We were greeted by one of the marina employees, in which unfortunately I don't remember his name. He helped us on the check in process and he was extremely friendly. The marina facility was very clean and organized. We even have the shore power and water installed right away without wasting any time. My two kids used both pools and they enjoyed it very much. I heard that the facilities opened at the beginning of 2010, so the showers on the marina facilities were still under construction, but they gave us the keys to one of the rooms in order to use the showers during our stay. This is an excellent customer service and I will be back to visit the resort hopefully in 2011.

In overall, the facility is very nice, excellent service and you can even take a plunge from the docks, the water is crystal clear!!!!! My only complaint is thta the pool bar was closed...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!