For everyone reading these comments and thinking how can this hotel have such widely varying reviews, don't worry we thought the same thing !! In a different setting Long Bay would be no more than an average hotel, but the beach location is truly stunning.
We stayed for four nights in early May, and the hotel was fairly empty which added to the appeal. We booked directly through longbay and got a significant discount from the big online travel websites above. We paid $192 a night for a long weekend, (don't do all inclusive, food quality not good enough)
First the negatives, the hotel is a little rough around the edges in parts,especially further away from the main building, and with the exception of the buffet breakfast at 1748, the food is pretty poor and overpriced. The staff are generally friendly though sometimes you do get the feeling that they are just tolerating you, However, in our view these negatives can all be explained by the fact that Tortola is not resort developed at all, so don't expect the kind of hotel refinements and service you would get at big resort or city hotels.
To the positives, our room was absolutely fantastic, we got an upgrade to the top floor of one of the Family Villas on the hill room #152. The view from the balcony was simply breathtaking, it was the highest point and furthest away from the main complex, and in our view was probably the best room in the entire hotel. The pool area and tennis courts are a good alternative to the beach, though we spent most of the time at the beach. The breakfast buffet at 1748 has a great selection, expecially fruit, juices, cereal etc, the hot food was ok but was stiil overpriced for the quality.
Definitely recommend hiring a car to get away from the resort, if you want to do anything but lounge at the beach or pool. We hired a car just for 24 hours and spent an afternoon walking around Sage Mountain. Make sure you take a map from the shop at the car park before setting out on foot as we didn't manage to find the lookout and just wandered along forest paths for a few hours !! Smugglers Cove was fantastic, beach is great and snorkelling is awesome. Recommend Sugar Mill & Quitos for dinner, in that order, Both have some great dishes, especially the jerk shrimp at Quitos.
Also recommend the White Squall day trip to Virgin Gorda & Cooper Island. Pierce and Chris, the captain and "first mate", were great fun and kept the drinks flowing throughout the day.
Last little tip, take plenty of cash as there are very few ATMs and only one on the Long Bay side of the island. Friday is pay day so the ATM frequently runs out of cash. We had to take a taxi to Road Town just to find a working ATM. !! Though you don't need cash at the hotel for meals, drinks etc, the shop and expensive taxis only accept cash so without a car, cash reserves run down quickly.
On the whole would return purely for the views and location, but just don't expect big resort luxury & service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most beautiful, mile-long stretches of white sand beach in the Caribbean, Long Bay Beach Club is truly the gem of the British Virgin Islands. Guests enjoy terrific accommodations including Beachfront Rooms and Suites. The resort amenities include the historic beachfront 1748 Restaurant & Bar, tennis, amazing beach and much more. Fantastic location on Tortola's much sought after West End, just minutes from Soper's Hole Marina. Popular excursions include sailing, diving, sightseeing, and shopping. Great restaurants, bars, and nightlife nearby. Perfect for couples, friends, and families. Also ideal for those seeking a land / sea vacation that includes sailing and hotel stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Long Bay Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Bay Beach Resort And Villas
- Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Tortola
- Long Bay Beach Hotel
- Long Bay Beach Resort Villas Tortola
- Long Bay Resort Tortola
- Long Bay Beach Club Tortola, British Virgin Islands