“Could have stayed and played for hours!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Shopping in Grand Case
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Make your Own Perfume / Cologne: Choose from over 300 oils to create your own perfume or cologne. Sounds daunting, but Tijon makes it easy. The hardest part for many is naming their own fragrance. One experience takes 2-3 hours and costs 129€ (1€ = $1 cash). Everyone leaves with their own custom fragrance and a gift bag of Tijon products worth 40€ . The most popular experience takes 60-90 minutes and costs 75€ with everyone leaving with their own fragrance and a gift bag of Tijon products worth 40€. Tijon also offers an on-site boutique with its signature line of 21 French Caribbean fragrances, cosmetics and gifts. Hours are Monday-Friday from 9:30am to 5pm and other times by appointment. NOTE that we offer limited hours in Sept. and Oct.
San Diego, California
8 attraction reviews
“Could have stayed and played for hours!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

So much fun!!!! John was a wonderful host and we had the best time mixing our own scent. John said he'd stay until midnight if that's what it took for us to get a scent we liked and I really believe he would have. If you mix something you don't like - no problem - just toss it and start over. I'm a foodie and love to cook and this is as much fun as putting together a gourmet meal without the calories!! Don't miss this totally unique opportunity!!

USA
13 attraction reviews
“Not To Be Missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

We were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise with Carnival. None of the excursions offered by the ship interested us, so we decided to find something to do on our own. We came across the perfume class at Tijon and we feel so lucky that we did! This was the highlight of our trip-- the best thing we did the whole cruise. Better than Atlantis Aquaventure in the Bahamas, better than Megan's Bay at St. Thomas. You will not be disappointed.

We took a taxi from the pier to Tijon where the owners were awaiting our arrival. After a brief history of perfume we were hands on in the lab making our own scents. The owners are very encouraging and will give you as much help or as little help as you want. You conclude by bottling your own perfume and having a champagne toast. In total this was an approximately a 3 hour hands-on experience, no boring down time here, you will enjoy every second. The value of the take away gift bags is more than the cost of the class. We cannot believe the cruise ships have not snatched this up as an excursion offering. Everyone we have told about the class wishes they would have known about it. Email the owners and they will assist you with any worries you have about doing a non-ship excursion on your own. They assisted us with transportation, time zone questions, etc. and even emailed us pictures they took of us during the class.

We will make sure any itinerary we pick in the future will include St. Maarten so we can repeat this experience and bring our kids, friends, and family with us. It's just that good. We would recommend this for all ages, men and women, above age 10-although the owners mentioned they have had as young as 7. Perfect for mother-daughter, sisters, friends, and especially couples. Take the class in the morning and hit Orient beach, which is nearby, in the afternoon.

Bowmanville, Ontario
“Tijon's 'Invent your scent' perfume class is an exerience visitors to St Martin do not want to miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I came to Tijon's perfume class curious about the process and left 3 hours later totally inspired! The class was filled with info, history and fun, fun, fun! The class began with a brief intro and a bit of history about perfumes. Then we hit the lab to begin mixing our own personalized scent. John is a knowledgeable, patient and encouraging teacher who makes the journey to a new scent very comfortable. With over 300 oils to choose from it can be a bit overwhelming but Cyndi is always available to offer her own perfume expertise as well. When everyone has finished their creation, there is a toast to the new perfumers, pictures are taken and a certificate and press release are handed out! I enjoyed the 'Invent your scent' class so much, I returned to the next class to create a second personalized perfume! Rarely have I spent a more fascinating three hours!! Do not miss this experience!!
Take the time to browse around Tijon's elegant shop and examine the goods too. Hand made jewellry, designer handbags and skin care products made on site are a few of the treasures available at reasonable prices. A trip to Tijon in Grand Case is a MUST for all discerning travellors who come to the island of St Maarten/St Martin!!

Florence, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
“Unique But Wonderful - If You Can't Visit Them, Go to Their Website!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

I'm not a smelly purfumy guy. True, when I pick up a scent on a woman I like, it has its desired affect, but I've never been one of those Metrosexual perfectly-dressed and scented men. I was happy if my socks matched and my tie went with my suit... Until I stumbled upon Tijon!

While everybody's skin and biology is different and lotions and fragrances react differently depending on a number of factors, Tijon has something for everyone. If you can, go there and have John and Cyndi get you into Perfume 101 and bring your camcorder to capture the moment and the factory they've created.

For the men, I can share my preferences are the SXM scent and the X.2 scent, although I bought and enjoy 2.0 and 3.0 scents. I especially enjoy their after shower powder and I learned the best time and place to apply their cologne is right after a hot shower and apply at high heat areas on the body moving low to up (your neck last, dudes). I also bought their Tropicale Lotion de Sunscreen SPF 30 (water resistant) for the Orient Bay day and the Aloe Moisturizing Lotion for evenings after the sun. When you're on the islands, it's always sunny and you need to take care of your skin regardless of your age!

For the women I found my friends really appreciated the scents, candles, skincare products (does "L’Esperance Reparation Tropicale 4/4 tm (Anti-Wrinkle Crème)" really work?), and lots of other girly stuff. I've learned from my lady friends the costs are relatively low for the high quality products, and they LOVE the scents.

I'll end before I sound like a commercial for this wonderful couple's business. Bottom line: if you can't fly into St. Maarten and drive to Grande Case (between Marigot and Orient Beach), go to their website and check out their collection. You can't buy this quality elsewhere - it's unique and the product of the island air and attitude.

I love their stuff and can't wait for my return visit this May.

San Diego, CA
“Making your own perfume is a blast and a gift I can use on a daily basis.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently got engaged on our trip to St. Martin this Christmas. After several days in the sunshine we were looking for an indoor activity that would give us a few hours in an air-conditioned building. When we came across Tijon in downtown Grand Case and learned about the opportunity to take a perfume class we decided it would be perfect!

We didn't need to bring anything with us, but a camera is helpful to document the experience. The class was so much fun and I can't believe how much goes into making a perfect scent. I learned so many interesting facts and after a bit of trial and error I was able to create a cologne for my fiance that he loves!

I really enjoyed the personal touches. I got my own workbook that talked about the history of perfume, the interesting facts and got to name and label my very own bottle of perfume. Afterwards we all got to celebrate with a glass of champagne and who doesn't love that?!

The only thing I would recommend is giving yourself some time after the class before you go to dinner. After smelling so many scents to determine what you want to put in your perfume it is nice to give your nose a break before dinner!

Overall, it was an excellent class that I would recommend to anyone on the island because it is completely different from anything you have ever expereienced. Next time you are visiting St. Martin, make sure you stop by Tijon and sign-up for their next available perfume class!