“St. Martin's Best New Thing To Do” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 18 Attractions in Grand Case
Type: Tours, Factory Tours, Specialty Shops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Make your Own Perfume / Cologne: Choose from over 300 oils to create your own perfume or cologne. Sounds daunting, but Tijon makes it easy. The hardest part for many is naming their own fragrance. One experience takes 2-3 hours and costs 129€ (1€ = $1 cash). Everyone leaves with their own custom fragrance and a gift bag of Tijon products worth 40€ . The most popular experience takes 60-90 minutes and costs 75€ with everyone leaving with their own fragrance and a gift bag of Tijon products worth 40€. Tijon also offers an on-site boutique with its signature line of 21 French Caribbean fragrances, cosmetics and gifts. Hours are Monday-Friday from 9:30am to 5pm and other times by appointment. NOTE that we offer limited hours in Sept. and Oct.
Kralendijk, Bonaire
4 attraction reviews
“St. Martin's Best New Thing To Do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised upon my return to St. Martin (Dutch and French West Indies) after being away for several years to find that a new and interesting activity was available at the Tijon Perfumerie & Boutique in Grand Case (French St. Martin).

At a destination were most activites have to do with sun, sand, and sea, it was a refreshing change to have to use my brain, albeit only for a few hours! I made an appointment with the owner/operator of Tijon, John, who very quickly confirmed my enrollment in their Perfume Making 101 Class. All communications were by email, and were efficiently answered, so that I could plan the rest of my time.

The 101 class consists of a three- to four-hour morning or afternoon. It begins with a history of perfume making, and then, to get the smelling senses ready, some time to sniff some of Tijon's classic scents, to fine tune one's personal likes and dislikes.

Then it was off the lab! Donning our lab coats to avoid having oils spill on our clothing, we then began to mix our own special fragrance. Choosing from over 300 different oils, we began mixing and matching, utlimately making three or four different scents in our session. Of course, as in any lab undertaking, taking copious notes of what we were using and in what quantities was essential. Towards the end of the session, we picked our best scent, and then made a whole bottle of perfume......with a little help from John of course.

All in all, it was a wonderful afternoon, and one that I highly recommend for anyone visiting St. Martin. And if a visitor were to stumble upon some rainy weather while in St. Martin, this is one activity that won't be interrupted due to weather!

I personally like my own private blend and am wearing it daily. What's really nice is that Tijon keeps all the personal secret ingredients on file, and I can order another bottle whenever I'd like--either to pick up on my next visit to the island, or sent directly to me!

I highly recommend a visit to Tijon for a class, or just to "nose" around in the boutique!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful 50th Birthday suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Was treated to a surprise visit on our Carribean Cruise. Went to the Perfumerie on March 7th for my 50th Birthday. What a wonderful treat, made my own perfume "Celebration" and celebrated with my Partner Pete and best friends Lynn and Bob. Had a lovely time and a glass of champagne.

Visited March 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Absolutely a must-do experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband had scouted Tijon out here on Trip Advisor before we went in May. We didn't call ahead so when we arrived in Grand Case, we were disappointed that they were closed for the afternoon- they reopen at 6pm. We went at 6pm and they welcomed us in. Honestly, the best customer service- so warm and open!! They were very accommodating and let us hurry through the hour session- we were supposed to be at dinner at 7pm! We were really rushing to get out of there and John actually offered to drive us down to our restaurant. I was utterly impressed. You will not be disappointed here...coming home with a bottle of perfume and a very generous goodie bag was just icing on the cake. We will be back next time we are in St. Maarten!! After we arrived home, I was again very impressed to receive a personal thank you from Cyndi with our photo from that night attached. Top Notch Service!!

Visited May 2011
Miami, Florida
“Fun thing to do with a group”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Went with my girlfriends to a perfume class. What a fun thing to do. John and Cindy are awesome! John is very informative and helpful. I never knew how interesting and fun perfume making could be. We had such a good time and we all got to go home with the beautiful perfume we made.

Florissant, Missouri
“What a neat experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Three of us signed up for the 1 hr perfume class including my 7 year old. We loved the class! It was such a neat experience to make your own perfume, and try out different scents to find the right combination. This is by far one of the neatest things I have ever done on my travels. John and Cyndi were so friendly, going the extra mile to help my daughter find the right scents. It was a great time!