“Lobster Thermidor” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Chicago, Illinois
“Lobster Thermidor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We dined here in June 2012 for our honeymoon. When we got to St. Martin we didn't do any research on restaurants. We looked up Trip Advisor and went to the #1 restaurant in Grand Case and at the time it was Bistrot Caraibes. We were not disappointed. The escargot was served traditionally, but was still very good. We couldn't help but order one of the lobsters on the menu. We couldn't decide between garlic butter or thermidor (never having had thermidor before). Our server told us we could actually do both if we would like to try thermidor. Thanks to his helpful selection, that is just what we did. Our server then went to the outdoor tank in the front of the restaurant and produced a beast of a lobster. There was so much to eat and while we really enjoyed the garlic butter half, we were both salivating over the thermidor half. Amazing. Overall, the service and food here were excellent and we would definitely head back there.

• Visited June 2012

Venice, Florida
“Another Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was our second visit to St. Martin and to Bistrot Caraibes and we were not disappointed. The food, service, and hospitality are amazing. I was happy to see the veal still on the menu (my husband had it last time and I was jealous). It was better than I remembered. My husband had the scallops which were delicious and to finish it off the warm chocolate cake. I still can't believe something as "simple" as chocolate cake can be made to taste soooo good. We dine early (around 6pm) so we were some of the first people in the restaurant but it was filling up when we left and the owners are always around to answer questions provide suggestion and offer great sevice. We will be back on our next visit to the island!!

• Visited November 2012
Mahone Bay, Canada
“Gastronomic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our family enjoyed a fantastic meal at Bistro Caraibe last March. The food was excellent, the service even better. The restaurant is small but inviting. We are looking to our next visit in March of 2013. If you have the opportunity visit and enjoy the food and ambience.

Fans from Mahone Bay Nova Scotia

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Bon appetit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

On our first trip to St. Martin, we happened upon so many wonderful things! The first being Bistrot Caraibes where we met Amaury, who was very knowledgable and proof that St. Martin is the friendly island! We did not dine there the first night, as we were just getting settled in, but knew we would be returning as we looked over the menu and restaurant. The place has a modern feel, yet also very caribbean and european as well. From the fresh lobster tank in the front, to their signature ginger rum digestif, our entire dining experience there was exquisite! Brothers Amaury, Thibault and staff were very attentive as all the dishes had excellent presentation, and taste. We were pleasantly surprised with the sparkling sugar on the plate of the chocolate molten cake! For those seeking a fine dining experience on the island, look to Bistrot Caraibes in Grand Case!

• Visited November 2012
boston
“The joke is on me.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I haven't been to Grand Case in a few years and was looking forward to going to Bistrot. My wife truly enjoys good food and this is the type of place she gravitates to. We were invited in by the charming owner but before we accepted we asked if service (tip) was included. He responded it was not. We entered anyway. We had four in our party and were seated right away. We split two appetizers. One was a crabmeat dish which was bland and watery and woefully undersized. It is fair to say we each got a teaspoon sized bite. The other appetizer was a non traditional escargot. The snails were cocooned in a straw like substance that was dry and unpleasant. We had other drinks (wine champagne ) but the drink that stood out was the water, coming in at a whopping eight Euro. Btw no one for one here. I had fairly good entree, pork and beef tenderloin enjoyable but not memorable. Service was good and the atmosphere is pleasant . My wife was splashed a couple of times by doomed lobsters which was exciting. She took it well. There were no little extras or fun interaction with the owner or anybody else. For this price point I expect more. We tipped out at 20% even though by French law service is always included. I didn't come to SXM to make scene. I was very disappointed in being lied to and generally felt taken. I will not be returning. We did have other good dining experiences on the Island. I know it sounds like I am being hard on BC but they were hard on me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere