“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Petit Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Le Petit Hotel
You added Le Petit Hotel to your Saves list
248 Boulevard de Grand Case | St. Martin, Grand Case 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
California
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

This hotel is really nice and in a great location. The rooms are clean, modern, and a nice size. Each room has a balcony with an ocean view, so you can fall asleep listening to the sound of the ocean. The restaurants which are only a 5 minute walk are wonderful and not super expensive. A fun bar along the restaurant row is the Blue Martini, there is usually live music there. Next door, a place called Le Pub, is good if you want to stay out late night. Marigot, a quaint little shopping district, is only about a 5 minute drive. I would suggest renting a car because the taxi drivers will rip you off and the island is easy to navigate, it is pretty much just one road. The staff at this hotel was great, so nice and helpful. I am a "hotel snob" and I was very pleased with Le Petit Hotel.

Also, I only spent 1 day on the dutch side, and I found it to be so Americanized and blah. The traffic on the Dutch side was terrible and the shopping was overpriced and unremarkable. One thing that is definitely worthwhile is taking the ferry to Anquilla, a beautiful little island only about 30 minutes away from Grand Case. The ferry leaves from the marina in MArigot and it is only 15$. This place (Anquilla) is beautiful, you have to go... the beach here is incredible, soft white sand and the houses there are enormous. Definitely worth it. Also, one of the best places I ate was Le Cottage, along the restaurant row in Grand Case, so delicious. My other favorite was La Marine, also along the restaurant row. My friend and I had drinks, appetizers, and entrees which only came out to 67$. A good deal and great food.

One more tip, most of the restaurants take Euros, but if you pay in cash (American dollars), they will allow you to pay the Euro rate which actually ends up being cheaper since the Euro is worth more. If you use credit, they jack up the price to the American dollar equivalent. Cash is the way to go, at least when eatig out on the French side. Enjoy, this really is the best place! Oh, and if you like Mojitos, the Blue Martini, makes them so good.

Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a brief, romantic stay at Le Petite. It is excellent in every way. The other reviews do a good job of detailing all the good things -- just add them all up. The only observations I have on the negative side are: 1) the continental breakfast is great on day one, but the same pastries begin to get repetitive on day three. My guess is, by day five you could be opting for a restaurant. My input on their suggestion card was that a little more variety, day to day, would be nice. 2) I was a little surprised to see an extra 10% service gratuity added to the bill when I checked out. I questioned if that was for the cleaning staff and was told it was "for everything." I said, "So the housekeeping people do get part of it." Then it was explained to me that, unlike in the US, the housekeeping staff is paid well and don't rely on gratuities here. OK, in other words, the 10% service fee is just a hidden rate hike. The problem is, all of the guests are so darned happy with their facitily and service, we just grin and pay without questioning. But this little venting makes me feel better. I would bet my vast fortune and all of my kingdom that you will love Le Petite Hotel, breakfast pastries, service fees and all. Bon apetite!

• Stayed April 2006
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

For the money, you can't beat Le Petit Hotel. The location is excellent, on the quiet end of Grand Case beach. The beach is nearly deserted, and it's only a 5 minute walk by the road or beach into Grand Case Village where you have all the best restaurants and some shops. The units are roomy with a kitchenette and comfortable beds. The rooms have lovely wood furniture and are nicely decorated and have wireless internet. The best thing about Le Petit Hotel is being close to the action of Grand Case but also being able to enjoy a nearly deserted beautiful beach without having to jostle for sunbeds and space. Location, location, location. Marigot is also a short drive away, where there are shops, restaurants, a marina and lots of action. St. Martin was fabulous, definitely preferred it to St. Maarten, which is more crowded with lots of traffic.

• Stayed March 2006
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

My wife and I recently stayed here for a week and we'd recommending this hotel to anyone coming to St. Martin.

This was our second trip to the island, and the first time we stayed on the French side. I used Tripadvisor as the basis for selecting Le Petit Hotel and it proved to be a winning choice.

Stéphanie and Fanny took excellent care of us during our stay and I would say that the level of service was equal to any world-class hotel. It's one thing to "appear" nice, it's another to "be" nice.

Our room was on the third floor and provided a great view as well as a refreshing breeze. The studio room was spotless, tastefully decorated and was complete with a small kitchen (microwave, fridge, small stove). There was a sizeable TV with satellite channels, a DVD player (you can borrow DVDs from the office anytime but why are you here to watch movies?) and a CD player.

A continental breakfast is provided in the room rate and many restaurants are a 10-15 minute walk or short drive away. After eating some great meals the walk was needed!

Recommended restaurant choices:

- Le Mambo - French/Creole cuisine, and very quiet. We ate there twice and neither time it was busy (it does get busy on Tuesday night in Grand Case)

- Le Tastevin - we ate there on a previous trip and it was nice to revisit. Service was OK.

- Le Soleil - we ate breakfast, lunch and two dinners there. Understated, non-pretentious and a nice change if you want some seafood. 1$ = 1Euro cash.

- L'Alabama - another good French choice.

The hotel's location is right at the start of Grand Case coming from Marigot which means that you do need to walk. Because the beach isn't all lighted at night we walked on the road which is nervous at first but you quickly get used to it.

Beach towels and chairs are supplied on the beach which is at the rear of the hotel. The beach is very quiet as opposed to some of the more tourist beaches like Orient Bay. Bring a beer and a book with you and enjoy the solitude!

Note that this is not a full-service hotel but a boutique hotel. Don't expect to call a concierge at 2am asking for room service...the office is open 9am to 5pm but Stéphanie (the resident manager) is reachable if required after these hours.

We plan to return to Le Petit Hotel and highly recommend it as a weekend getaway or week's vacation spot.

Was everything perfect? Just about...except for a few very minor points:

- The hotel's phone system is rather noisy (at least in our room)...I originally thought it was something to blame with St Martin or Grand Case, but even a call to the front desk had a lot of buzzing on the line. I had a cell phone which I used anyway.

- The bed was a bit firmer than we were used to, but we have a rather soft mattress at home, and there is a soft mattress cover (plus as others have stated the linens are great).

- The breakfast was enjoyable and sufficient but you may need to go early (before 8am) - too many hungry Americans lead to a shortage of croissants. BYO decaf if you don't like full-leaded. Some yogurt or fruit would be a nice change. However, we also walked along the beach to Le Soleil and had a nice breakfast there (great coffee). If you are picky about spending a few euros on breakfast if you feel like eggs then this isn't your kind of hotel and perhaps St Martin isn't for you either.

Why you should pick this hotel:

- you want great and friendly service

- you want a comfortable stay in a tastefully decorated, spotless room with a beach view

- you want to be a short distance away from great restaurants and a great beach (if you like Orient Bay which is a 10 minute drive away - Grand Case's beach is quiet)

- you want a romantic getaway or relaxing trip with no pressure

- you like boutique hotels (I have stayed at hotels in the SLH.com group and prefer smaller hotels)

Look elsewhere if:

- you want a spa or pool right on the property (you CAN use the pool at their sister hotel but it's a short drive or long walk away)

- you want room service or a restaurant on the premises

- you have children and want a "full activity" hotel. In that case I recommend something like Divi Little Bay which is more appropriate for families

- you want casino action or nightlife - this is not the place for you...stay on the Dutch side

Most people end up deciding which side suits them better - McDonald's and casinos are found on the Dutch side and provide American comfort, while the French side is undeniably more French. If you want a taste of Europe in the sun, great food and a certain type of style, choose Grand Case and above all, stay at Le Petit Hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

Everything we expected and more. What an amazing little jewel by the sea. The staff was attentive and informative. The rooms are decked to the max with all the goodies one could want. I had some of the best sleep I have had in a long time. The beds were fabulous and the bedding all down including the pillows. the hotel is kept up to date and is immaculate. There is a kitchen so you can cook yourself a meal or two. This is a sure bet. If you want a home away from home you won't be disappointed. The hotel sits on the ocean and all night long you can hear the waves crash on the shore. The food in Grand Case is spectacular and all in walking distance. I recommend Le Cottage. We had a wonderful dinner there. Walking the beach in the morning was a glorious mix of locals and tourists. I can't recommend this hotel enough. They go above and beyond to meet your every need and to accommodate you and make you feel extra special. I do recommend a car because you will want to go to Le Gallion beach. I also recommend the zip lines at Lottery Farm. Oh and by the way lunch there is wonderful. Le Petit is a find, so good I almost want to keep it a secret for myself. ENJOY! Alison Jessup

• Stayed February 2005
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2006

This hotel was exactly as promised by the other reviewers. The service was perfect and the room was immaculate and beautiful. We stayed in the one bedroom suite on the ground floor, which was very large. Larger, in fact, than our first one bedroom apartment in New York. We so enjoyed being soothed to sleep by the sound of the waves every night. We spent most of our time on the spacious terrace overlooking the (smallish) beach and clear blue water. Soooo relaxing! The continetal breakfast was very enjoyable. I'd only recommend that they add some sort of fresh fruit to the croissants and baguettes. The freslhy squeezed oj is fantastic, though!
The negatives to this place have nothing to do with the hotel, but rather with the general surroundings. The beach was strewn with litter at times. The town of Grand Case, where we ate nearly all our meals, has a rather third-world feel to it. We found we didn't really enjoy going into town. We did have some good meals, though none quite met up to the raves of some other reviewers.
I'd recommend Le Cottage, where we had an out-of-this-world Caramel Souffle, and Le Alabama. We had good seafood entrees at both places. We also tried Le California and another one I can't recall (Le Soleil?), where the food wasn't bad. Take lots of American $$$ with you as there is a 1 to 1 euro to dollar exchange rate if using cash in most of the restaurants. I'd read this in other reviews, but forgot to take enough cash, much to our regret. If you plan to walk to town, walk along the beach rather than down the road! It's much more pleasant than being nearly run over.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

After thoroughly reading everything ever written on Le Petit Hotel on this web site, we decided to book a week there (Dec 31 -Jan 7). We've been disappointed before by way of not getting what we thought we were getting so I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Stephanie and Fanny for putting up with my numerous e-mails asking a million questions. We LOVED it! We had the beautiful Suite #1 with our own private steps to the beach. The room was very large with a kitchen and sitting area, a large bed area and beautiful bathroom. The furniture is exquisite and the location perfect. Grande Case beach is not busy and I think we saw about 5 people a day walk by our little corner of paradise. If there was one tiny little annoyance it would be that the maids meet every morning right outside Suite #1 and I awoke to their 'chatter' at 7:15 every day which didn't bother me in the slightest as I'm an early riser anyway. The complimentary continental breakfast was the perfect way to start your day. Everything you've read about the restaurants in Grande Case is true - it is definately the Gastronomic Capital of the Caribbean (or just about anywhere we've ever eaten). I read from other travellers that they thought it was expensive - I think if you like to travel to places like Mexico for an all inclusive week where you can live on $20 a day, then this might seem expensive - Personally, you get what you pay for and although a nice dinner with wine can run you upwards of $100 or more, we pay that at home for an excellent meal so its all relative. The kitchens in the rooms can make this an economical holiday if that's what you're looking for. My huband worked for the airline for 23 years so we've done more than our fair share of travelling and Le Petit Hotel stands out as among our favorites. We loved everything about St. Martin - you can be terribly busy or do nothign at all! Make sure you get to the Fly Zone at Loterie Farm and if you're a windsurfer, be sure to find your way over to Galion Bay. We will absolutely be back and will definately stay at Le Petit again. THANK YOU Fanny & Stephanie for your gracious welcome, help with everything, and sad good bye - we'll be back!

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Le Petit Hotel? Share your experiences!