“A night in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 58 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Sol restaurant invites you to a unique dining experience in an elegant, intimate and romantic place in the Caribbean. Within this Creole house tastefully decorated and surrounded by a tropical garden, you will discover a delicate and refined cuisine. Chefs offer you imaginative and innovative dishes in respect of the French culinary tradition together with a selection of preferred wines
Manalapan, New Jersey
“A night in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We were all in awe from the moment we entered this gorgeously decorated restaurant. Attention to detail was evident throughout every corner. The service and food was excellent starting with their signature drink the Champagne mojito. We shared the sampler appetizer which was delicious and we all had the pan seared sea bass with fennel and tangerine. We passed on dessert because we were all too full, but the selection was lovely. However they offered us their home-made flavored rum regardless. Bill is paid in Euros and tipping is noted on the menu and bill that it is not included. Every website says that tipping is included on the French side at 15%.

Visited June 2014

“Great food/drinks, Average service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Would have given 5 stars, but as two larger groups entered the restaurant, the service for my wife and I basically became non-existent for the latter part of our meal.
The decor in this place is pretty remarkable. If you are looking for a romantic and intimate setting, this is the place to go. The food was outstanding from a taste, appearance, and portion standpoint. We ordered the lobster bisque covered with an almond puff pastry for an appetizer. For the main course, I ordered the "fish of the day" which was mahi mahi. My wife ordered some sort of seafood shell pasta, which we both agreed that we would get again if we were ever to go back. It consisted of shrimp, mussels, calamari, octopus, scallops, etc. The mojito special was the highlight of the meal. Our waiter said that he used champagne to replace the club soda, which made a huge difference. So good that I had to order two. I think this place is definitely worth checking out, but be warned, it is rather expensive when converted to US dollars.

Visited May 2014
Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin
“Terrible service ruins dining experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We have been dining at restaurants in st martin for over thirty years. We have enjoyed wonderful meals and have enjoyed the company of so many of the owners and chefs.

Las t night was our second visit to Sol yLuna. I do beleive it is the most romantic restaurant on the island. The food is excelent. I rank it with Mario's and to Provençal and Le Cottage.

That said last night was a huge disappointment....not because of terry becuase he was not our waiter, not because of the gracious hostess co owner Bridget or the wonderful food prepared by the owner chef.

The service of the brunette waitress was not in line with the the high caliber of the restaurant. We were seated and then asked for our order. Usually one asks for a drink order which I reminded her. We orderd a a drink. She returned 10 minutes later and ask if we were ready to order..no drinks were served no water presnted . I politely asked her that we did not receive our drink order. Exasperated she marched to the bar and brought us our drinks.

15 minutes later she returned......I asked her if there were any specials tonight...no was the replay...then I asked her what is the fish of the day....again I am asking her the questions rather than her sharing the information with me.

Okay we ordered from the menu....five minute later..terry the other waiter is servicing a nearby table and tells them about the specials, the fish of the day, the special cocktail etc..that did it ..I called the waitress back and gave her a piece of my mind and made a new order. Her condescending and disrespectful attitude was appalling especially when one is about to enjoy a three course meal that would set us bak about $275.00

nearby there were three other tables who experienced similar treatment...as a matter of fact two of the diners who heard my displeasure stopped by the table to thank me for letting the waitress know how displeased I was because they recieved the same type of treatment.

I respectfully request that if the mangement would like diners to return and we do return to st maarten several time per year".......they need to address this poor service.

Bridgett.......please for your own sake and your husband's excellent cooking...do something about this woman....We wil not return...Mario's, Lecottage, Bacchus, Ti Provençal ,Estaminet and LePressoir will be my restaurants of choice..
Quality restaurants are restaurants that include excellent service along with excellent food. You provide excellent food wonderful setting and a woman server who would be better off serving food at MacDonald's!

Disappointed

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We have dined at Sol e Luna at least five or more times in the past 10 years. Usually we go for our anniversary and consider it to be one our most favorite restaurants. We have always recommended it to our friends and raved about the food, the service and the setting. Spectacular, excellent and magical. I do not know what happened last night! From the minute we walked in it was just different. The hostess seemed indifferent to rude and I never saw her smile. The restaurant was modestly busy but there were many empty tables. We made our reservation and had requested to be seated on the veranda, but we were shown to a table in the back patio. When I inquired about seating at one of the two empty tables for four on the veranda I was told that we were seated on the veranda? After being seated the waitress reviewed the specials then came back and asked if we were ready to order. When someone asked a question she ignored that and said she would come back when we were ready. We ordered baby artichokes, which I found bland. We split a filet and our guests ordered crispy duck and shrimp/scallops. The entrées were ok, but not up to our expectations. At dessert we asked about the soufflé, but was told it was not being served. We have come at this time of year every time and had always had it, but the way they dismissed our request was odd. Maybe our expectations were too high and restaurants and their staff can have an off night, but when you charge high prices you sort of expect that to not happen. Sadly we will consider other places in the future and warn our friends that we have had a less than pleasant visit. 8-(

Visited May 2014
Trinidad
“VERY VERY Condescending Treatment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We went to this restaurant for lunch... before we'd gone, we stopped in the day before and inquired from 1 of the waitresses what time they would be opened for lunch. She'd confirmed that they closed for lunch at 3. We got there the next day just after 2 and the person who I believe is the owner was sitting with 2 guys at the table by the door. As we walked in, she and her 2 guys looked at us very condescendingly and made us feel VERY unwelcomed. The "owner" eventually came to us and said that they had closed off for lunch already saying that they "sometimes close earlier". We had already seen that there were "white" persons being allowed to dine in the restaurant and it was obvious that we were too "black" for this restaurant. As we were denied lunch there and we walked out, the "owner" and the 2 guys looked at us again in a very condescending manner. I never bothered to go back and will not!

• Visited May 2014