“great food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
East Wareham, Massachusetts
“great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in Grand Case for three weeks from the end of January to the middle of February. During that time period we tried to eat in ALL of the restaurants in town. Alas, we failed. In spite of the fact that there were several well reviewed restaurants wherein we did not dine, we ate at Le Cottage on three occasions. Stephane (the manager) and Tanya are two of the most gracious restaurant hosts on the island. But the food brings you back. Try the cold 3 soup appetizer-asparagus, cauliflower and tomato. The duck is great with sauces that enhance rather than overwhelm. Fresh fish-moist and flaky and a wine list that compliments the great food. Save room for desert. At the time of our stay, this restaurant was rated #10 by Trip Advisor. I beg to differ. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a ten!! One of the best restaurants in St. Martin. I am returning for 4 weeks next year and have already reserved a table for each week.

• Visited February 2013

89% Recommend
Pennsylvania
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We are foodies. Restaurant row in Grand Case was a major reason we went for a week. Had a great time, and a great meal every night. We had done some homework including Trip Advisor and made some reservations. When Le Cottage was recommended by a fellow-guest at L'Esplanade who had been coming to Grand Case annually for 8 years we made a point of going. We loved it. Food was top-level. For starters my wife had the escargot 3 ways, and I had a unique "lasagna" of extremely thin pastry filled with foie gras and morels with excellent tasty thin brown sauce (?marsala, tarragon, who knows). Never had anything quite like that before. My wife loves sea bass, and Le Cottage did it "Just the way I like it!" I had a perfectly sized, cooked, and plated serving of three lamb chops with accompaniments. For dessert I had the much-touted souffle (Grand Marnier, OK to order after the meal) and was not disappointed.

Service, as in all 6 of the restaurants we visited, was excellent and completely professional. We did happen to hit it off especially well with Stefane. For example, when they were out of the wine we chose (a nice, delicate red Burgundy), Stefane immediately suggested an alternative that was quite equal in quality, price, and terroir. I was very impressed when I inquired about having a sweet wine at the end of the meal. I had not seen any on the wine list, but immediately Stefane was at tableside pouring two glasses of Monbazillac. We have a wine cellar at home and occasionally enjoy a sweet white from France, but despite having read about Monbazillac had not come across it before. It was outstanding: clean, crisp, with delicious fruit, a bit lighter than its better-known cousins from Sauternes. PS, when I checked the bill, the Monbazillac was gratis. I never would expect that, but I appreciate it when I see it.

About the preceding reviews, and TA reviews in general, it seems some people know how to get the best out of a restaurant, hotel, etc. They succeed in having a good time more often. Conversely, how does a wonderful restaurant get rated "terrible?" Well, I notice that half the time the "terribles" come from individuals who did not even eat at the restaurant! Astounding. Such behavior says more about the reviewer than about the restaurant. As for the quibble about dollars for euros, we found all of the top restaurants in Grand Case to be competitive. How could it be otherwise? Prices compare favorably to similar restaurants in Italy or France. Great restaurant. Recommended.

• Visited February 2013
McHenry, Illinois
“Nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The food and service is very nice, the trio of duck is excellent and fish is superbly made. My only suggestion is that for the price and quality to eat at La Villa which is next door, Le Cottage does not offer a one for one on euro to dollar (when paying cash) where La Villa does. This means upto a 30% savings, which at these prices is a great savings. Nothing against Le Cottage but for the quality and price La Villa is just as good, same location and considerably less money.

“A Bit Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We visited this restaurant for the third year in a row, and we were disappointed this time. The food was heavy. We were looking for a fresh, lighter taste. The wine list is still very good, and we hope for a better experience in the future.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
sxmsaintmartin, Public Relations Manager at Le Cottage, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
And we'll do our BEST to give you a better experience next time!
Thanks for your review.

Le Cottage Team
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A wonderful dinner on my favourite island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Stephane is back running this wonderful restaurant. He remembered us and greeted us as old friends. We sat in one of the tables for 2 by the front of the restaurant overlooking the activity in Grand Case. We started our meal with Kir Royal followed by a wonderful srhrimp starter that was a daily feature followed by duck servedd 4 ways. This was an absolutely fabulous presentation, and if you like duck, this dinner is not to be missed. We fininshed our meal with cappuccino and complementary chocolate coffee rum.

Welcome back Stephane. Your Cottage Restaurant will soon be number 1 in St. Martin.