“A great choice for food and wine” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 56 Restaurants in Grand Case
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Burlington, Vermont
“A great choice for food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Le Cottage is a great place to eat, especially if you can reserve a balcony table on Tuesday night, say at 7:30, during the Harmony Parade. The menu has changed this year from the "tasting menu" presentation last year, although presenting your dish in a variety of ways is still their trademark. For instance, escargot prepared 3 ways, or duck three ways, both of which I tried. I will try to upload some menu pages. Their wine selection is quite good, and in fact they open their "cellar" to retail sales. Service, and the presentation is excellent. The food was quite good. Some general tips about Grand Case: you cannot have a bad meal there, all the restaurants are good, so look for a price you like, and a menu choice you like. Also, always ask if your bill is "service compris" (tip included). Menus do not always say that, and we found at least one restaurant that was "compris", with no notice. I rated the price here as expensive, but no more so than any other restaurant in town. Check the menus I posted.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful and quaint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this charming place. We ate on the porch and relaxed as we were taken care of by the very down-to-earth french owner. Le Cottage is an appropriate name and a meal not to miss.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“a lovely meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We ate out on the porch which had a nice breeze and was great for people watching as diner's stroll down the main street in Grand Case. Service was excellent and the food was delicious.

Visited January 2013
charlestown, nevis, west indies
“The way all restaurants should be....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for somewhere to eat in Grand Case that would be romantic yet effortless. We decided after walking up and down the main street that Le Cottage had the smallest menu so we should go there bc small menu = confidence and specialties.
First the lovely female maitre d guided my wine choice in the right direction. She suggested something similar in taste and still stuck within my price range.
Shortly after a young lady brought over a caprese amuse bouche. Such a nice touch. For starters my beau had escargots and I had une salade verte. The salad was simple and beautiful and the escargots had a beautiful and modern presentation which only came second to how good they tasted.
For mains, I had grilled scallops and shrimp in a lemon butter sauce served with crab risotto and my bf had a trio of duck. The dish comprised of a crispy confit duck leg, pan seared duck breast and buttery duck liver was served on crostini, with some kind of mushroom cream sauce servd on thd side. It tastes just like it sounds.
In the end while enjoying coffee we were brought over a complimentary banana and vanilla infused rum that was to die for. A perfect end to a perfect evening.
I really have to hand it to the staff. They knew their menu. Service was on top of it without being overly intrusive. Most importantly, they were so friendly, focused, and professional.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Maine
“give it a try--you will love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

So it looks a little unassuming and it is not on the oceanside but this place outshines everyplace we visited across the street--and we have visited many of them in two trips over the past year. The food is traditional, delicious, cooked to perfection, interesting, and generous in portions. My steak with frites in a bernaise (sp?) sauce was perfect, and a lamb chop special and the sea bass and a mahi mahi special were all a delight. We are a family of four and no one was disappointed. The salads were fresh and well sized, the wines reasonable and the service exemplary--always there but never there, and excellent guidance on the wine and food. I gather the owners may be from Alsace and it has that feeling of elegance and family, french refinement and generous german portions so typical of that region. Give it a try--you will love it. We will certainly be back when we get back.

Visited January 2013