“AWESOME!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turquoise Shell Inn

You added Turquoise Shell Inn to your Saves list
Turquoise Shell Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Simpson Bay Rd., Simpson Bay 00000, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Frisco, Texas
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I recently had a fabulous stay at the Turquoise Shell Inn. It's situated in an ideal location, close to restaurants, shopping, and a 30 second walk to the beach. You really wouldn't need to rent a car if that is your preference. My room was very clean and the sheets were TO DIE FOR SOFT! It was furnished with a full-sized refrigerator and every kitchen utensil you would need for cooking. I will most certainly stay there again on my next visit!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at the Turquoise Shell Inn back in April 2013 and had a very enjoyable stay. The property is a pleasant and nice place consisting of 10 rooms. The rooms are more like a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and bedroom. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The air conditioner is in the bedroom and worked perfectly. There is a ceiling fan in the living room. My room also had a floor fan. The Turquoise Shell Inn is located just a few yards away across a very small road from Simpson Bay Beach which is a beautiful stretch of beach that extends all the way down close to where the airport is located. There is also a small swimming pool on the property. The owner, Carter, is a very nice man who is very helpful and extremely knowledgeable about the island. He was always happy to answer any questions that I had. If you need some chairs and an umbrella for lounging on the beach, Carter has those available. He also has cell phones available for rent. The Turquoise Shell Inn is located very close to several restaurants, bars, and convenient stores. A couple of restaurants I can recommend are Lee's Roadside Grill(about a 10 minute walk) and The Palms Restaurant which is right next door to the Turquoise Shell Inn. Karakter restaurant is located on Simpson Bay Beach and is about a 20 minute stroll along the beach from the Turquoise Shell Inn. There is free wireless internet access available but there a place located just across the main road called "Mail Box" which has computers and internet access for very reasonable rates. If you are not renting a car and need transportation on the island, ask Carter about taking buses instead of taxis. The buses are very cheap. Carter can tell you how to distinguish the buses from taxis and how the system works. If you are looking for a nice place to stay in a great location and for excellent value, Turquoise Shell Inn is it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March 2013 and I just had to write a review about it. When we arrived Carter was there waiting for us. He greeted us with a smile and showed us around the well kept property and our entire trip he was there to answer any questions we had. The T-Shell is in the perfect location and a quick walk across a back lane takes you to a great spot on Simpson Bay beach. We always felt it was "our" beach as there were never many others around, which we loved. A great beach to walk...The room at the inn met our needs perfectly. We've done the large resort all inclusive and needed a change. We plan on returning March 2014 once again. There are all kinds of restaurants, bars, grocery stores all around the T-Shell so no need to rent a vehicle unless you really want to go further. (The buses are cheap cheap) Once again, I can't say enough good things about the T-Shell, so if you are thinking about visiting...don't hesitate. Any quesions please pm me and I'd be glad to answer the best I can.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We appreciate those that take the time to review our little Inn. It is a great compliment when a guest choses to return. It make us feel like we are doing at least some of the right things.
St Maarten-St Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at Turquoise Shell Inn because our cruise ship had mechanical difficulties. I TOLD my wife cruising would be hell, but she had to go. Too many people and all so fake! It's OUR vacay but we were on THEIR schedule.

When the boat broke down on St. Maarten, we decided to disembark and stay somewhere on the island for a few days. A taxi driver suggested this place so we said okay, to take us there. It is a lovely, quiet place with only 10 rooms. They're more like 1br apartments, with a kitchenette and living area. You step through a gate and across a quiet residential street to get to the beach. It's about 50ft away. There was a pool but I didn't use it as I prefer the beach. There was maid service every day and the place was very professionally run. I would send anyone there and will stay at the Turquoise Shell Inn on my very next visit to St. Maarten.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I chose the T Shell Inn because of other reviews I found here. It did not disappoint! The rooms are pleasant, clean and offer all the necessary amenities. The beach is close by and a pleasant place to walk or sit and sip a beer. Close to good restaurants and a wonderful French bakery! Carter will help you find a good place to eat or make sure a taxi is there to take you to the airport!

If you're looking for a resort experience, this isn't the place for you. If you want a nice, clean place to stay that's also close to the airport, I think you'll enjoy it here. We were especially appreciative of the A/C in the bedroom -- didn't really need it in the living room, since that has a nice ceiling fan.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Turquoise Shell Inn has a lot to offer for a very reasonable price. Steps away from the beach on Simpson Bay, which is beautiful and quiet.. Many restaurants with in walking distance. The rooms are extremely clean and the little kitchen is another perk. The manager, Carter, is so helpful and knows the island so well you feel like family right away. I hope I will return next year ,
and you can bet I will stay at the T SHELL INN.. While on the island I recommend you try Byblos Lounge and Restaurant also on Simpson Bay excellent food and great staff ...Some nights they have music and a belly dancer.....FUN FUN FUN......................

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

First off, I've got to say straight up that the Turquoise Shell Inn is not a luxury hotel or resort, so if you're looking for 5-star style pampering and accomodation, this isn't for you. What the TSI does offer is clean, comfortable accomodation centrally located. And the welcome and service given by the main man - Carter - really puts the icing on the cake.

TSI is located off the main street through Simpson Bay. You get to it by passing through the car park of a local bank. Its situation - well back from the street, but sandwiched between it and the beach - is a good one affording a nice level of privacy and security.

The hotel is small - only 10 rooms, each with a fully fitted kitchenette and separate bedroom. The kitchen facilities gave us options for breakfast, and a constant source of ice and cold drinks. Bathroom and bedroom were both basic but clean and comfortable (air condiioning is provided in the bedroom only). The hotel encourages recycling (+++!) and also asks guests to reuse towels whenever they can, although there is no problem with changing these every day if you want to. There is a small swimming pool within the hotel courtyard. We spent many hours just sitting in or around the pool soaking up the sun and sipping rum punch. Step out a small gate from the courtyard and you are right on to the southern tip of a lovely sandy beach that runs off into the distance towards the airport. If you want to spend some time on the beach, Carter is happy to provide you with chairs and other accessories you might need.

Some previous reviewers mention the noise levels, but I can't say that they affected us much. We are definitely not night owls, but I can honestly say that even on a Friday/Saturday evening the noise coming from the local bars wasn't enough to keep us awake. I had earplugs with me but didn't need to use them. Still an idea to pack them though, if you are a light sleeper. The other noise concern people might have is the proximity to the airport. Again, we did not find this to be an issue at all. The airport is not all that busy as far as big jets go, and the only time you really hear them is on takeoff when they fly directly overhead. There seems to be only about 8 to 10 departures per day involving larger aircraft, and they stop early evening. Really nothing much to worry about at all.

The Turquoise Shell is very centrally located in Simpson Bay and handy for several good bars, restaurants, and local shops. I can particularly recommend The Palms bar/restaurant, almost right next door.

To recap, don't book The TSI if you want resort level comfort where you are waited on from head to toe. If you want a clean and comfortable place to get your head down, get a warm local welcome, and offering value for money in a good location then this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I would like to thank this guest for a complete and honest review. We do try to make our visitors comfortable and like to hear when they have enjoyed their time at the T shell

Been to Turquoise Shell Inn? Share your experiences!