“Excellent - Hosts, Room, Access, Safety, Comfort, Convenience.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turquoise Shell Inn

You added Turquoise Shell Inn to your Saves list
Turquoise Shell Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Simpson Bay Rd., Simpson Bay 00000, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Florida
“Excellent - Hosts, Room, Access, Safety, Comfort, Convenience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

It was all we expeccted, but much more. Only a short stay as we were in transition to another island location. However, Carter Glass and Cornelia were extraordinaire as hosts. Comfortable rooms, Safe environment, decent beach access to Simpson Bay. TShell Inn has it all. With a little luck we will visit again and stay much longer. Thanks Carter and Cornelia.

Room Tip: Because it was but a short stay and my spouse has difficulty with stairs, we had a ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

On the plus side: The place is close to the airport and resturants, clean, air conditioned. Decent kitchen for eating in.
Minus side: VERY VERY VERY noisy at night. Luckily for me I travel with ear plugs but the local music nearby was very loud and went on very late. The innkeeper greated us with the warmth and enthusiasm of a convict doing his required community service. There is also a rather surely note in the bathroom stating that guests will be charged extra if the white towels were too dirty. Just provide tan towels then everyone can relax. There are better properties to stay at in the same price range.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am sorry that this guest , who stayed for one night, encountered so many problems. We are located in the heart of Simpson Bay, walking distance to many restaurants and bars. On this particular Saturday night, the noise was MUCH louder than usual. We do have some issues with the music on Fridays and Saturdays. However , many guests comment on how quiet the property is during the day and most nights, considering our convenient location. Our beach, just out the back gate, makes for easy access. I do not remember being so grumpy,( I guess we all have our days) when they checked in but again, my apologies.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here for a week long trip to the island. It is a lot closer to the beach than is described. Our experience was that the beach was clean and very private. Most of the time we were the only people on the beach......so it was nice to have it private. We were able to walk to Maho beach from this hotel. About a 35 mintue walk, but most of it was a relaxing walk on the beach. So, we did that several days while we were there. We did rent a car for 2 days, which Carter helped arrange. The car was dropped off at our hotel room and picked up the same way, so it was very convenient. While we drove around the island we stopped at some other beaches, and it made us grateful for our private beach near the Turquoise Shell Inn. On some of the more touristy beaches people try and sell you stuff while you are trying to relax and take a nap or read books. This became increasingly annoying at other beaches. The hotel was in walking distance of many great restaurants and bars. It is in a more local area of town, so we met several locals very quickly who were eager to answer any questions we had about the island. The hotel room has a full kitchen, and is close to grocery stores. We made our own breakfasts everyday that we were there and ate it while sitting on the porch and reading the local newspaper. There are beach chairs to borrow which were great! Also snorkel gear and books, which we did not end up taking advantage of. It is a 10 dollar cab ride to the airport so that makes it very convenient as well. We stayed here in the off season (september) and found that the weather was great even with the occasional rain shower. The rain showers were actually a nice break from the extreme heat at times. We would definitely stay here again, and stay here again in the off season as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
united states
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here on our way to other islands and it was a great choice. It was very close to the airport so very convenient for an early flight and a $10 cab ride - plus there are restaurants and bars in walking distance. It was affordable, allowing us to spend more money in our final destination. While I would probably not stay here for a full week, it was the perfect place to stop in transit. The staff was extremely friendly and the place was pretty spacious. We did spend some time at the beach. Although the beach closest to the hotel was dirty- full of garbage and seaweed, the hotel has off-street parking so on on our return trip (we stayed here on both ends of a trip to St. Barts) we rented a car and went to prettier beaches. Given the cost of most hotels on this island, this is a great bargain and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Bring $50 cash - you'll need to give a key deposit
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonesboro, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This cozy little inn in Simpson Bay near the airport in Sint Maarten was a good base of operation for my wanting to make day trips to the many nearby islands via small plane airlines and ferries. You get to choose your room when you book and you can reserve online and make an initial payment via credit card. I chose a second floor room (called first floor on their website using the European terminology as to floor designations.) which is selected from a list on their website showing the dates that a particular room is available. Carter, the manager and owner, was very friendly and helpful. Off season good price. They have a small pool and if you walk across the alley in the back, you are on a sandy beach after a few steps. My "room" (Room 10) had a combined spacious full kitchen and living room with TV and wi-fi, 110- electricity and ceiling and floor fans. The large bedroom had a big bed, closet and chest of drawers and A/C. The bathroom was clean and nice including a European style body wash and shampoo dispenser in the shower. Carter helped setup some solo tours and made one of the ferry reservations for me. There is a McDonald's and supermarket less than a block away as well as many restaurants and shops on nearby Simpson Bay road.

Room Tip: I chose a second floor (European- first floor) room so I could look out and see more of the surround...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had a great week in SXM. My wife and i,stayed at The Torquoise Shell Inn. Carter,the owner
made us feel at home.Our apartment was neat and clean,and Corneila,the housekeeper checked up on us each day.If we needed anything just check with Carter or Cornelia,they are on
top of everything.Safe place with OFF STREET PARKING,thats a plus. We were in wallking distance of everthing.We highly recommend The Turquoise Shell Inn.Great value.Nice folks.
We will return.Oh one more thing folks plenty of cable channels.
Jack and June Clowney
Winston-Salem NC

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I knew I picked the right place when I stepped onto the cheerful flip flop mat in the lobby and saw a fresh tropical floral arrangement. The innkeeper greeted me with ripe bananas plucked from the tree outside the lobby. She then showed me to my room which was cool and bright with everything I could to need for a tropical vacation, i.e. wine opener, citronella candle, and soft towels for my sunburn. I slept well under the beautiful sand dollar bed spread, smooth sheets, and a reading lamp by the bed for the book I borrowed from Turquoise Shell library. Staff was excited to point me towards the island's best restaurants, beaches, and events. Simpson Bay was right there offering beautiful waters for "bobbing" and a shipwreck for snorkeling ("thank you" to the Inn for the snorkel gear). The sparkling pool was surrounded by tropical plants of which the staff knew every name. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Turquoise Shell offer mosquito nets for the beds which I didn't need but adds a romantic touch.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Turquoise Shell Inn? Share your experiences!