“run down and poorly staffed” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 97 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Charleston, SC
“run down and poorly staffed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I visited St. Martin in 1999 and stayed at another property. Several people talked about the restaurant at Mary's Boon so we went and had a wonderful time. We booked a catamaran trip from August 17 through 24 of this year, so we flew in a day early and stayed at Mary's Boon overnight.

When we arrived our room was ready and we were shown to it. It was directly on the beach with a fantastic view. Unfortunately the blinds didn't work so we had to step out to enjoy it. The decor was dated but the room itself was clean and adequate, so we dropped our stuff and went to get a drink and a bite to eat at the beach bar.

The woman behind the bar was very friendly, but when I asked what was her specialty she said she was not a bartender. She handed me a drink list, then said she couldn't make make most of the drinks because the owners didn't stock the ingredients. My husband asked about a pina colada and was told the blender didn't work. After a couple of failed attempts we finally got some guavaberry rum on the rocks while we looked through the food menu.

While we were deciding there was a brief rain shower and some guests who were on the beach came in out of the rain. They ordered beers and a daiquiri, which was made in the blender we were told didn't work. We ordered food, which was so nondescript I don't remember what either of us had and I can't find a menu online to jog my memory. The one thing that did stand out is it was incredibly bland. I rarely salt anything and I had to add a lot to make my food taste like something.

After lunch I went back to our room to shower and take a nap. This is when I found the surprise step in the bathroom between the door and the sink, which I tripped over and crashed into the sink. Whoever designed that bathroom should be forced to use it for the rest of his life. The water in the shower barely trickled out of the shower head, making taking a shower incredibly difficult. The shower was plumbed through the kitchenette and it wasn't vented properly so I could hear a loud "glug glug" as it made its way out.

Mary's Boon isn't located near anything so your choices for dining are very limited unless you take a taxi. We opted to eat at the restaurant on property since we both remembered enjoying it previously. Like the beach bar, the food was very bland. I had a Greek salad, which was made properly but it needed salt and the dressing needed lemon. For a main course we ordered a nightly special of Caribbean lobster thermidor topped with sauteed mushrooms. When it arrived it was overcooked lobster in a mushroom cream sauce. It was tasty and similar to what was described, but not what we expected.

The service was dreadful. The waitress brought my appetizer, then it was a long wait before she brought my husband's. I could see into the bar and she was chatting with people she seemed to know while we waited for our food. This happened again with our main courses even though we had the same thing -- they were halves of the same lobster, even -- and they had to have been plated at the same time. I ordered a second glass of wine, which I never got despite asking twice. She did manage to bring us a second bottle of water, but left the empty one on our table to blow over and rattle around on the floor until I picked it up.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank cerobinson

St. Maarten-St. Martin
“I hope the real cook and kitchen help comes back...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have a house a few doors down from the restaurant. Over the years we have spent lots of money and lots of time at such a beautiful place. This August having lunch there was horrible! The lazy waitress would not even offer the beautiful dining room; she told us to sit in the bar area. We were the only couple at the place having lunch. The lobster bisque is usually an item that will make you want to return again and again; it was so bad that we didn't(could not finish it, you think the waitress might of notice that it was still 3/4 full when she took it away)...my heart is broken and I'm praying that the real people were on vacation, and will return with the great food that they must of taken with them when they left!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank abovelamer
Aventura, Florida
“"The best waterfront restaurant on the Island"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had our first experience on St. Maarten in March for a wedding (amazing time at Mary's Boon hotel) and guess what, got back again in June at the same place. The first time was short 4 days trip with all the wedding aura around us, but the second time we got to really appreciate the place, the view and everything around us. We had the most amazing view from the restaurant while having our breakfast or lunch, food is so delicious, my Gosh, red snapper or duck breast is a must try and even for dinner, candles, romantic set on the beach (we asked if we can have a table on the beach and the staff was incredibly happy to meet our request making it so special). Overall, a must try, amazing food, great professional staff, unbeatable view, the most unique spot on the Island.
P.S. The best mohitos ever from the bar, afternoon chill out with the feet in the sand and sipping mohito while listening to the great music vibes. What else you can ask for? We are looking forward to out next visit in November.

• Visited June 2013
Grand Terrace, California
“Best Bloody Mary !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Tides is a great beach restaurant located in the back of Mary's Boon. The atmosphere is relaxed and very friendly, as is typical of the island. It may take a few minutes, but the greetings always include a genuine smile and warmth.
They make one of the best Bloody Marys on the planet! We ate breakfast here several times during our vacation, and each time was a pleasure. The eggs benedict and pancakes were quite yummy as well.
If you are in a rush, don't come here. If you are looking for good food, great atmosphere, and real island hospitality - Come right in!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Readsboro
“Dinner at Mary's Boon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We recently had dinner at the restaurant we had stopped for coffee in the morning and inquired about reservations for dinner. We were told they weren't busy so we didn't need them. We arrived and were seated and it was twenty minutes before we were waited on for drinks. It was a long drawn out wait for dinner and service. Fortunately, the food was fabulous. The owners need to read "Setting the Table" by Danny Meyers to get a clue how to serve the public and keep a following..

• 3 of 5 stars