“Best ice cream anywhere and a fun place to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Mercer County NJ
“Best ice cream anywhere and a fun place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This place is about desserts and, especially, ice cream. But it's unlike any ice cream parlour you have ever visited. The name comes from the restored carousel in the back, but inside the giant main rotunda is a vast selection of the most delectable ice creams, sorbets, and gelatos you will find anywhere. And there is plenty to see while you enjoy your treat. Afterwards, head to the outside perimeter to see the large collection (perhaps a hundred or more) of precious photographs from around the world across the generations, all related to ice cream and many involving familiar faces. I am certain you will return for multiple visits.

• Visited July 2013

St Martin
“Good ice-cream”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We live on St Martin/St Maarten and always stop at Carousel for ice-cream before going to the movies. I've had no problem getting a small sample of flavors I fancied but have to agree that the staff are generally less than friendly. They have a vintage Carousel out back but I've never seen anyone on it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, CA
“Great Gelato.....Not so great customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We visited Carousel twice during our weekly stay in St. Maarten. The gelato is really good, but both times, we had issues with the customer service. There are so many options to choose from, my husband asked for a tester to try 2 different flavors. His taste buds were fixed on something else, so he asked to test another. The person started to give it to him, but then another person working behind the counter told the lady helping him, to NOT give him the extra tester, so the gelato that she scooped onto the tester spoon to give to him, she put it BACK into the big tub of gelato. We thought that was pretty petty, but whatever.

The second time we went back, I asked to test an oreo cookies and cream type of gelato. She gave me the test and it was great. One of the reasons that I liked it so much is because it had a crunch. I selected that option and she gave me my order. When I received my cup, i tasted a big spoonful and there was NO OREO or crunch....just cream. I told her that I don't taste any oreo bits or cruch and was wondering if she had any crushed oreos handy that I could top my gelato with. She said no, but she did say that she had some crushed peanuts that I could have. I said great, she put a half of a teaspoon on my cream, then looked at me and said.....Ok, that will be $0.50cents. Wow...she charged me for 1 half spoon of peanuts?????? What was worse, the peanuts were steal, so i ended up scraping them all off, and still not enjoying my gelato, because there wasn't anything crunchy in it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Moreno Valley, California
“They are serious about gelato/ice cream!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Easily the best ice cream I've ever had. They make their own ice cream/gelato and there's a viewing area where you can watch. For adults there is also a full bar. It's also nice to walk into an air conditioned building after being tag teamed by the hot sun and humidity!
A fairly sized carousel is located in the back of the building but the customers solely seemed focused on the cold desserts. FYI if you would like to ride the carousel then you have to purchase tickets at the ice cream counter then one of the ladies working will accompany you to the carousel to operate it. My 2 and 3 year old boys were not a fans so we didn't bother on our 2nd and 3rd visit during our stay.

• Visited May 2013
Union, New Jersey
“A great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Carousel can be described in one word. WOW!. They have the largest selection of gelato I've ever seen and every flavor is delicious. We've visited each of the three years we went to St. Maarten and it will remain on the must do list for the forseeable future. It's just such a fun place with bright colors and plenty of open space. The carousel in the back returns me to those childhood days in amusement parks. It's just plain fun and well worth a visit.

• Visited February 2013