“Humble and charming little space with great people” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 78 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night
Critique
“Humble and charming little space with great people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have to say, the people here are some of the nicest people we met on the island.
Our first time coming to Barnacles was on our first day. It was a rough start, and my parents were very skeptical. We weren't sure if this was going to be a pleasant vacation experience or a disaster "I can't wait to get home" situation... But the employees at Barnacles, specifically Val, gave us helpful hints and ideas to make our vacation a success. It was just my mom and I and we came on the way to the neighboring grocery store. We both got drinks (very refreshing) and Val advised us on the the what to do and how to do it. She recommended a few excursions and restaurants, as well as little tips... and her advice certainly paid off. Don't hesitate to start a conversation with any of the bartenders or workers. We were also told that Friday was rib night, the chef spent all Thursday preparing-- we simply had to reserve that night to return, with the entire family.
The ribs were very delicious, among some of the best we've had. Very tender and flavorful, and cooked right in front of you! Everybody enjoyed their meal, and there was a pleasant breeze from the water. However, Barnacles is certainly a casual place. Seating is limited, and some may find the breeze bothersome. It was also a bit buggy, and our food came at different times, and took a while. Regardless of the few issues, Barnacles is a place to come. Even if it's just for drinks or a rack of ribs. All their specials are fantastic, from seafood to (the famous) ribs. And say hi to the friendly mascot dog (:

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

east lyme
“Amazing home cooked food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Wow. This was the best meal on our trip and the best Greek food I've had outside of Greece. Food was fresh and delicious. We had the gyro and a Greek platter. Both were outstanding. The owner came to the table for a chat, which was a nice touch. We wouldn't have even known about this place because it is a bit back from the road, but we were so glad we found it. Word of mouth got us there, don't miss out on it. Very reasonably priced as well.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“octopus salad delish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

After a long day of diving this place hits the spot. I could eat here every night. Don't let this little jem pass you by while visiting the island. The owners are super nice and the food is really good.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A great little hidden gem that's well worth finding.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

This is a fabulous little place tucked in behind the Gourmet Marche grocery store in Simpson Bay. Family owned and operated and frequented by both locals and cruisers alike, you won't be sorry for finding this one. The cuisine is authentically Greek and everything (including the tzatziki) is home made right from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. They also serve regular pub fare like double angus cheeseburgers and mouth watering big ribs from a secret family recipe. I've been there so many times to eat that I've just about sampled the whole menu. Wednesday and Friday nights are quite busy as they have live music on these night, but any other night can offer a quaint and intimate dining experience. Check it out - you won't be sorry.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Hidden Treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

My wife and myself visited St Martin for her birthday in December. We had spoken to a few locals about where to find some good ribs because every restaurant on the strip had them. The property manager from our condo mentioned Barnacles. We stopped in for a drink just to check it out and met the owners Alberto and his wife Cali. They were very friendly and accommodating. After asking for an order of ribs we were disappointed to find out they were sold out. Now they had my attention !! So he asked if I would be willing to come by on Tuesday because it takes almost 24 hours to prepare them and they only get a limited amount delivered. So we returned and let me tell you how exceptional they were. A full rack could feed a couple and they were the best I had in my life hands down !!! The meat falls off the bone but its not overcooked at all, and they are 3 fingers wide. So stop in for happy hour and enjoy the $1.25 bottles of beer enjoy the view on the harbor and ask when he will have the ribs. I hear people actually prepay to ensure they get them but that's not necessary. If you like ribs this is without a doubt a MUST TRY !!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited December 2011