“Good and Bad Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Simpson Bay Suites

Simpson Bay Suites
You added Simpson Bay Suites to your Saves list
Simpson Bay Suites
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Elmanar Plaza 3D Billy Folly Road | Pelican Key, Simpson Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good and Bad Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

The facilities are definitely the largest you will find on the island for that price. Be aware that their website description is extremely subjective. Whomever made their webpage went a little crazy with the adjectives..."ultra modern grand" and "plenty of onsite amenities" are true by island standards, but do not mean the same for the typical business traveller. The rooms are a nice 1-room flat, full kitchen, large bathroom, and unbelievable closet storage. TV has the usual choice of channels, including HBO. Relatively clean room with newer furniture. That's the good part. The bad part? You need to remember that it is an island hotel. Hot water was not on order for my 2-day stay. WiFi means wireless, but not here. It means you can plug into a router for occasional service at dial-up speed. There is a small shopping complex across the street that is busy until late at night. Not too noisy until the morning delivery trucks arrive at 5. And for the American traveller, don't forget that smoking is still an acceptable pastime here, including indoors. The lobby staff were very nice, but expect to walk out of there smelling like a bar. Heavy, heavy smoke. Overall, if you need a place to lay down and take a quick (cold) shower in a safe, comfortable building, this is fine. If you are looking for a vacation place, pick a resort on the beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in the main building of the resort (new), and, apparently there is a big difference between new and old buildings.Our room was perfect for us,spacious, clean, fully equipped kitchen,2 tv's, close to the pool and the ocean, free internet.Nothing to complain about.Check in/out was just fine, be prepared to pay condo tax $50 plus some other local charges.Beach was ok, pretty safe to swim, clear water, no seaweed, however not the best on the island.You can snorkel from the beach. They always had palapas/umbrellas and chairs available for the guests.Pool and beach bars-limited variety,only bottled drinks,no mixed drinks,they grilled something on the BBQ on the beach, but we haven't tried it.There is plenty of restaurants in the area, most of them quite pricey. We cooked a lot of meals in our unit. There is a supermarket 5 min walk from resort(bring your own bags), prices are pretty much the same as the rest of the island,however we found wine and beer a little cheaper on the French side.You can book trips and activities through concierge in main lobby;they have a souvenir shop, coffee shops,a spa, restaurant, casino,convenience store on site. You can buy practically everything you need without leaving the resort or within walking distance.The only thing I would like to see would be more organized activities for the kids.Our 11 year old son and other kids had to entertain themselves as they could:playing in the pool or fishing from the pier.No kids club or play room. They had a free movie and popcorn for the kids one night. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the main building
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have been going to St Maarten for 15 years. This room we had was the overall very best. Just beautiful in and out. The view was breath taking. The worker were ok not as helpful as they should be but we have been there so many times that we reaaly didn't need help. I think they are working on being better!!!! Let's hope that they don't price them self out of the timeshare people. We LOVE St Marrten and hope to spend many more fun years vacation there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Simpson Bay Suites was undoubtably the best hotel accommodation I've experienced in St. Maarten. And I will be planning future reservations with them every time I visit the island.
About Me:
I live in Orlando, FL and frequent my visits to St. Maarten about twice a year for business. On my company's expense I have been given the opportunity to experience different accommodations on the island every time I travel.
As soon as I entered I was greeted with a brightly lit room and a beautiful scenic view of the mariana and beach that outlaid across the entire front of the suites, and the bright sunshine reflected off of the glossy white floors. It was HUGE! The first room, offset to the right, was a fully furnished kitchen filled with stainless steel full sized fridge and freezer, stainless steel fully sized stovetop and equipt with kitchen appliances. Oh and by the way there was a kitchen table for four that sat in the middle of the kitchen. Then there was a glass top dinning table which sat in the middle of the suite which greeted flowed right into the living room, fully equipt. It included two love seats, a chair, coffee table, and a 35' flat screen. But I haven't given any justice to it. The first floor of my suite was about 900 sq. ft., bigger than my apartment back in Orlando. When you sit in the living room you can feel the island theme throughout the suite. The windows face the marina and beach with a spectacular view of the bay area. It had a balcony which also faced the marina and it sat two wicker chairs to relax and enjoy the bay breeze. I walked into the bedroom and there were two twin sized beds which sat in the 15x13 bedroom and a full sized wardrobe. The bathroom was clean and had a his/hers sink. This suite was more of an apartment. The second floor was just another bedroom but bigger than the one on the first floor and had the same set up. The view was even more spectacular than on the floor below because now I had a 360 view of half the island. I could see the bridge, airport, and the display of restaurants in the distance. The only drawback was there was no continental breakfast, but I got a complimentary coffee each morning although I didn't really need the continental breakfast. I had a fully equipt full sized kitchen sitting on the first floor of my suite. The suite is located in a quiet residential area but only about 1-5 minutes away from restaurants, casinos, clubs, and the movie theatre. I loved it. I didn't feel the congestion of recycled air, and moldy hotel carpet lingering in the room. It was VERY CLEAN!! Definitely a great place to call home after working for the day.

Room Tip: Feels like a family sized accommodation
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Simpson Bay Suites? Share your experiences!