“A Disappointment... to say the least!” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Ontario
“A Disappointment... to say the least!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We went to Uncle Harry's after receiving a recommendation from another couple staying at the same condo complex as us. We tried to look up the restaurant for reviews before we went but unfortunately the internet service was down in our condo. If only we had waited! The recommendation was definitely based on the previous owners establishment. Not knowing that it had changed ownership, we went with rather high expectations. Our first impression was fine, it was a boat decorated simply with lights and soft music. There were a few other couples having dinner as well. I was a bit surprised when a fairly young girl (approximately 14?) took our drink orders... however she was very polite and sweet that we tried to put it out of our minds. It definitely seemed like it was a family run establishment. When we looked at the menus we were a bit surprised at the pricing as most meals ranged around $30. We ordered a rib entree and a fish stew entree. The portions came and they were huge. You will definitely not leave hungry... but neither of us could say our meals were delicious either! The ribs were dry... no sauce at all, accompanied with fried potatoes and sliced carrots. The fish stew was bland at best. It wasn't that it was inedible but it wasn't enjoyable either. Considering the cost, we were very disappointed. While we don't mind paying a premium for a great meal... this was mediocre at best. Our bill was over $100 and the young girl informed us that the credit card machine was broken and they only accepted cash. Also there was an 11% fee on the bill that she claimed other restaurants included in the price of their food but they did not. She also told us that it was NOT the service fee (tip) that quite a few restaurants included in their total amount. Considering the cost of their food we felt this was ridiculous. We are still wondering if we were scammed? Neither of us felt comfortable enough to bring it up to such a young server so we paid for our meals. To make a bad situation worse she then proceeded to try and sell us some jewellery she had made. It was very uncomfortable. We both left the restaurant completely and utterly disappointed. After receiving so many fantastic recommendations for fabulous dining on the island, this was by far the low point to our trip... and the most expensive. We were truly baffled why anyone would recommend this place! When we returned to the condo and found our internet service had been restored we looked it up on trip advisor and we couldn't help but agree with all the other recent reviews... If only we had waited and read the review before we went! You live and learn I guess.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Barrie, Canada
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is not the "old" Uncle Harry's. New owners, children selling jewellery, walking around with a ferrat, dog dishes under the diner's tables, no Visa machine, sharing the salt and pepper with other tables...on and on until we left. What a disaapointment! Other years have been fine. What happened???

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Overpriced food - very questionable business practices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

First, this is not the Uncle Harry's you have been too before. It has new owners/managers. The food is not anywhere near what it used to be. If you like paying $27 for a dry pork chop and french fries, be my guest. More disturbing is the way my bill was handled. The paper check they originally gave me was for 3 entrees, had wine and other things on it - we were only 2 and had no wine. (A strange mistake since I saw no 3 party groups in the place- only 1 other couple and one single.) I pointed this out and they brought me back the correct bill. He warned me their internet might not work well, so maybe my credit card would not "go through". He came back and said it did not work. So I paid in cash and asked again about the card - he assured me it "did not go through". Well of course now I am home and there is a charge on my card from Ujncle Harry's but it is for a completely different amount than the original "in-error" bill nor the correct bill! I have emailed them to see how they respond. I am not holding my breath - AVOID this place - the food is terrible and the jury is out on their integrity, in my case anyway. Too bad - it WAS a really nice spot.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Bolton, Canada
“what happened to uncle harry's??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We have been to St Maarten for 7 years. One tradition was to have a dinner at Uncle Harry's. I look forward to it every year. This year, as always, off we went. Much to our surprise, we where told it was sold and had new owners, and the rest was history. Everything on the menu they did not have. Every drink on the menu could not be made and the wine, which is a no brainer was undrinkable. The new owners are using the old menu, so my husband ordered the world famousd ribs...no sauce and dry as can be. They even had their 14 year old daughter serving drinks and selling jewellery table to table. 3 tables walked out. We toughed it out. They had no burgers, no lobster tank anymore, no corona and on and on. At the end, no visa machine. It was "down". I don't know what happened to Uncle Harry, but I wish he would come back. If you are going for Heineken, don't go to Uncle Harry's as you will be very disappointed!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Indiana
“Great place for grilled lobster”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Uncle Harry's is a hidden treasure. You actually drive through a shipyard to get to the restaurant. Obviously it makes for a casual dinner, but the view of Simpson Bay is great. There is full bar service. The best part is picking out your live lobster and having it grilled for you. Yummmmmm. A visit to St. Maarten just wouldn't be the same without eating there.

• Visited January 2012