“Very happy with Ocean Explorers Dive Center” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: At Ocean Explorers we believe that who you dive with is as important as the diving itself… Small groups, personalized attention and a relaxed atmosphere are what we offer on a daily basis. From outstanding reefs to fantastic wrecks, our waters are warm and inviting and the marine life abundant and friendly. Our Caribbean dive shop is located under the waving palms by this tranquil Kim Sha beach on the beautiful Caribbean island St. Maarten.
Calgary, Canada
“Very happy with Ocean Explorers Dive Center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I did three dives there in December 2013. I've been diving in Mexico, Barbados, Curacao and now St Maarten, I think Ocean explorers is the best organized and best run dive center I have been to (and everywhere I have been has been pretty good).

Visited December 2013

Darien, Illinois
“Best Diving Experience !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was the best dive experience. My father and I got certified as an open water diver. We learned a lot and had a lot fun diving. The staff was wonderful!!! They are very friendly and knowledgeable. I felt very comfortable in the water with all the staff from ocean explorers. Jeff and Lu have a great passion for diving and it rubes off on everyone around them. Thank you all so much for such a wonderful experience!!!

Chicago, Illinois
“Another great Ocean Explorers experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I joined Ocean Explorers once again and it gets better every time. I completed my rescue diver course and couldn't have been happier with how thorough they were. Truly a great experience as usual. Thanks!

Fort Worth, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem - Scuba Diving at its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Nothing fancy about this company, but first class service, and quality care all the way! My husband and I have been diving in Grand Cayman, Bonaire, Cozumel, Aruba, and Kauai, and we were not expecting what we experienced! I chose this dive company, because when inquiring about diving on the island, Lu responded to my email within 24 hours. The two other shops contacted, took days, and weeks to respond.
When we pulled in on Monday morning, we were helped from the car with our gear, crew set up our gear, and had us check it. We never really touched our gear again! We dove with this incredible company for six days - and we cannot wait to go back. (If you need to rent gear from them, they rent out top quality gear, that didn’t look like rental gear! The gear fit the divers, wet suits and BCs didn’t have holes, look faded, or used.)
The weather was awful (it was November – so rain is forecasted), but the diving was still outrageously awesome!!! Jef & Lu (owners) are WONDERFUL! The dive masters (Danny, Jonathan, and Jeremy) very diligent, caring, observant, friendly, and kind! Safety was always considered. Dive sites were chosen each day based on weather conditions, and whether or not we had been to the site earlier in the week.
Jef briefs the divers about the boat, and explanation on the preferred manner of entry into the water. At the dive site, a briefing about the site is given, and divers are called back two at a time to be helped with gear. You are not rushed in any way. You are put in the water so gently, you will never want to do a giant stride or flip over backwards again! You are encouraged to get in the water, and just relax before descending – no hurrying! Relax and enjoy the dive!
Throughout the week, the experience of the divers ranged from 30 years to newbies, from teens to senior citizens and never once did anyone seem to be disappointed! We all came up from the dives excited and ready to go again! It was incredible!
With six divers on the boat, two dive masters are in the water with you, and a 3rd crew member stayed on the boat. If someone needs to take longer to go down, a DM stays with the person(s) needing more time, and everyone joins up later. All they ask is that you stay in sight of the DMs. If someone consumes air quickly, a DM goes back with that diver, and the others enjoy their bottom time. If someone struggles with anything, they are there to help! You are allowed to dive your profile!
The dives varied from wrecks to low profile reefs. The marine life was superb. I do fish surveys for REEF, and so document the fish, and the quantity with each of my dives. I have not encountered so many large schools of fish in years! Most days it felt as though we were in an aquarium filled with beautiful fish, turtles, southern sting rays, sharks, and more!
Need to store your gear for multiple days diving? No problem, when divers return, the crew rinses the equipment, hangs it up, and stores it safely for the next day!
Generally when you dive, at some point a crew member mentions the fact that tips are appreciated, and the tip jar is usually on the boat! As divers, we know tips are customary! With this company there is a tip jar on the counter in the shop, but it is never mentioned. But, I have never wanted to tip anyone like I wanted to tip this crew, as we have never been treated so well!
Another caveat, Jef takes professional quality pictures of each dive, but not once was it ever mentioned if the pictures could be purchased (in other words, no pushy sales people). I know you can access the pics for the week on the website! Take a look!!!
I cannot say enough positive, wonderful things about Jef & Lu, and their staff. We were made to feel welcome, and like family from the start. Looking forward to returning to St. Maarten to dive with them again!

San Antonio, Texas
“Great People to dive with”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was my first time diving in the ocean and my first time after getting Open Water Certified. I was extremely nervous. The staff on the boat totally took care of me. I felt like a child who needed some guidance and got it to the point were all my fears subsided. Patient and helpful. They make it so easy to get in and out. The process was perfect. I highly recommend.
Thanks guys for a great 1st experience!

Visited December 2013