“In the Middle” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

Save Saved
You added Simpson Bay Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Billy Folly Road #37, Simpson Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast Package!
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Simpson Bay
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“In the Middle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was stuck in SMX on a connecting flight and found this place last minute while I am used to the clean chain hotel and am familiar to the grundgy island rooms this was in the middle.

The check in was long but the lady was nice in accommodating my stay, I was a solo person upgraded to a studio on the first floor with ocean view.

The room: The room was on the first floor not ocean view and in the dark did not feel so safe since anyone from the outside can walk to your front door. The room was spacious and had a full kitchen but there where crumbs in the cabinet and hair on the floor on the bathroom.

I did not get a chance to try the pool or much of the place up this would be ok if you plan to just drop your bags and go out and explore the island. For the price its ok but I would not stay here if I was on an extended holiday.

Room Tip: Wifi it terrible so make sure to ask for a room with good wifi
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Lake Mary, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is showing great improvement. My husband and I just returned from two wonderful weeks at what some know to be the old Pelican Resort. As timeshare owners at the resort we lived through court case after court case and a lot of unpleasantness during the change of ownership, but happily it seems the new owners are making good on their promises to improve the resort. Following a schedule, buildings are being systematically refurbished and updated. The one bedroom unit we had for the two weeks was on the future list of units to be redone, but it was clean and comfortable. The attitude of the staff has improved considerably and the grounds are well maintained. The beach is good as always, but for the abundance of shells and the steep drop off at the shoreline which is natural and has always existed. For easier access to the water, try going in on the side closest to the beach hut. We were very pleased with what saw and experienced and are glad we hung onto our timeshare unit during the unpleasantness.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Florham Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here last summer and had the most fun ever! We stayed for 10 days, which is perfect for this island. You can rent a car and go to any beach you want! We felt really safe in St. Maarten. The resort itself is absolutely amazing and the people who work here are really helpful. I plan on going back again and am really looking forward to the casino as well as the many beaches St Maarten has to offer!

Room Tip: Try and stay by the new pool
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
bayside,newyork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

let me start by saying i have worked in the travel industry for 15yrs. the first room they took me to was not cleaned yet...it was filthy...and i am sorry but i do not want to see the filth that the previous guest left. they showed me two more rooms... one was at the top of a hill..but i was travelling with an infant.....it would have been way too difficult. when i booked the reservation my room description was "ocean front" i had seen 3 rooms at this point and i still had not seen the beach... finallay, they gave me a ground floor room,( that i had requested prior to arrival) the location of the room was perfect..but the room was outdated ...and only had a/c in the bedroom. and the pull out couch was broken ...( my kids slept on it) we did do the time share tour and the new rooms looked nice. DO NOT EAT or DRINK at the beach bar....the bartender was very rude and it is sooo over pricec $7.00 per beer...just go to the peli deli and buy a case for $23.00. I also found it disturbing while i was on the beach with my children the bartender went on the jetty....and relieved himself...Really...its a family resort.... and did not see him wash his hands.....the island has plenty of things to do....and the beach was nice....but if your looking for something fancy...this is not the place.

Room Tip: i do have to say most of the staff was pretty nice and helpful....other then the beach bar staff..wh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Camilo O, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear mrs.travelpro,

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. We always strive to provide guests with outstanding service and it is always important for us to follow through when this isn't the case.

I tried contacting you to request more information about the incidents you mention but unfortunately I didn't received a reply. Nevertheless, we will review more closely the service provided by the beach bar staff. Please contact me directly in order to have more details about the incident.

Looking forward to your message, please receive my warmest regards from St. Maarten.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I are currently here on our honeymoon. We stayed in the newer villas overlooking the Simpson Bay for our first week and this week we are down the hill a little in some of the older villas which are directly on the beach. People keep telling us to rent a car but we have not decided to rent a car because everything we have been recommended to visit for meals have been in walking distance. We have walked to Pineapple Pete's, Lee's, Jimbo's, Zee Best, Greenhouse, the movie theater, and a brand new supermarket. Since moving down the hill we are directly across from The Red Piano, Bon Appetit, an Italian restaurant and a small grocery store. The staff has been nothing less than wonderful to us. You will run into people that want you to view the property in hopes of you purchasing a timeshare, but you decide if you want to do it or not. It's up to you! Simpson Bay's staff has made our experience and our honeymoon so wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
pocono mtns, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had two rooms for our week, a one bedroom with a nice view and a studio. Both rooms were clean but had a moldy musty odor. The studio was very bad and we requested another room. Front dest was very helpful. The new one was better but not good. My daughter has asthma and could go in that room. I checked the air vents for the air conditioning and it looked like it has never been cleaned. I cleaned the air vents in both rooms and in a couple of days it was better but not good. The beach was small but very nice. Our room was at the top of the hill and even my kids who run regularly said it was a good cardio walk from the beach up to the rooms. Island I'd go back but find a different resort.

Room Tip: Get into the new renovated rooms. Was told they are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Camilo O, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us; your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the service provided by our Front Desk staff. At Simpson Bay Resort & Marina your complete and utmost satisfaction is our top priority; at any time you can request a room change and we will be happy to move you to one of your liking based on availability. I have passed a copy of your comments to corporate management in order to ensure the air vents of all rooms are properly cleaned up.

I truly hope you would give us the chance to welcome you again and show you how we've improved as a result of your feedback.

Warm regards from your home in paradise,

Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I traded a 5 star timeshare in Cancun for accommodations that were old, worn and very sub-standard. Travelled with my 18 year old granddaughter and didn't want to haggle in front of her so i accepted the suite. The best thing I can say about it was that it was very clean. Furnishings are old and worn and place needs a thorough rehab. The Staff, however, were warm and helpful and location is excellent.

I would not return to this section of the resort but would absolutely stay at the section that is newer and location is very good.

I am mostly disappointed that the resort is run by the Royal Resort chain in Cancun where i own four weeks of timeshare. Someone in their organization is letting things go in St. Martin.
This resort would never pass muster in Mexico.

Room Tip: Make sure rooms are assigned in new buildings only.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Member:

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the warm and attentive service provided by our staff. The location is truly something, isn't it? We also love to live and work here. :)

Having said that, I'm sorry to read about your accommodation experience. We are in the process of renovating the whole resort but as you can imagine it will take some time. During the course of this year we started work on the whole 89 units at the Bougainvillea Building; we expect to have them ready by November. During next year (2014) we will work on the whole 85 units at the Beaumontia Building and finally on 2015 we will be working on Flamboyant and Marina building, renovating the whole 88 units.

Next time you plan to exchange your week let us know in advance, so we can assign you one of our renovated units (based on availability).

Warm regards from your home in paradise,

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!