“Great Timeshare Trade” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

You added Simpson Bay Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Billy Folly Road #37, Simpson Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Free Wi-Fi in rooms!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Tempe, Arizona
“Great Timeshare Trade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have recently returned from a timeshare traded (RCI)week (June 1 –June 8, 2013) at Simpson Bay Resort. My wife, adult daughter, son-in-law and myself stayed in a Two-bedroom unit in the “D” Dieffenbachia building. We were in the newly renovated unit D-7 which overlooked the Marina.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Jules at the front desk. He answered many of the numerous questions my wife asked, promptly, professionally and with a smile. We were given information about the property and a map of where amenities were located on site.

Sleeping accommodations seem to be most important in all the reviews I read here on TripAdvisor. For all you travelers who complain about hard beds in Mexico, that is not the case here. The bed was memory foam and like sleeping on a cloud. The other complaint prevalent in most timeshare reviews is the sharks that sell the timeshares. Again, not an issue at this property, sales people were extremely low key and were not hounding endlessly asking guests to attend presentations. In fact, we were never approached and personally asked to attend a presentation! At one of the gatherings it was mentioned we could book a time to attend and receive $75.00 resort credit for attending a presentation, and participate in a weekly drawing for $500.00 cash for presentation attendance.

There are many amenities on the property, Aqua Mania for water sports, Peli Deli for grocery items (reasonable prices for the convenience of not driving or leaving property), although shopping and restaurants were located close by. Our unit was located by the “D” pool which had limited use, almost like having a private pool about 30 yards from our front balcony! There were charcoal grills located there also for those wanting to use them. Towel exchange was a short walk from the pool and on the way to the beach. We never lacked dry towels in our unit or on the beach. If you need anything while at the beach, see Elvis, he is most helpful and friendly, and he too has a great smile and personality.

Many reviewers on this forum list negative aspects of timeshare properties, but, I am hard-pressed to find faults with Simpson Bay. Hills may be a problem for folks with limited mobility. There were minor annoyances like squeaky door hinges, a sink stopper that did not close and door knobs that were loose, but you have to see that I am really reaching for things to find fault with. There was a nesting bird that kept flying at our heads at times when we left our unit. I told security and the front desk and was told maintenance would take care of the situation. As we left for the airport, the dive bombing bird flew at our heads one last time, so this was one issue that was not resolved. However, none of these issues were important enough to be a deal breaker for my wanting to return to this resort.

All in all the staff was helpful, professional and friendly. Wilta our housekeeper did a fine job of cleaning our place for us, Thank you Wilta. The grounds and facility were well kept and clean. The resort was well situated and located in a nice area overlooking Simpson Bay.

I currently own 6 timeshare weeks in Sedona, Arizona, New Bern, North Carolina and Mazatlan, Mexico. I have stayed at timeshares in California, throughout the Baja Coast of Mexico and Sint Maarten and state the unit at Simpson Bay was one of the nicest, comfortable, well-appointed and functional I have vacationed at.

I am counting the days until I can return to this resort and lovely island.

Room Tip: There is construction in the "B" building, but it did not affect our stay in D-107. Great...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was our first time in St. Maarten and Simpson Bay Resort. After reading the various reviews I was a little concerned about our RCI exchange unit. I had fallen 7 weeks back and broken two ribs that were still not completely healed. I emailed the resort ahead of time and asked for a unit where I did not have to walk uphill or climb too many stairs. We were also celebrating a big anniversary during our stay there. Camilo Garcia responded immediately and said that he had forwarded the request to the front desk/reception staff. When we got to the resort we were pleasantly surprised to see that we were given a unit in the F bldg right on the beach - unit F12.

The unit was very clean, spacious, well maintained and best of all was the location right on the beach facing the blue waters. We loved every minute of our stay there. The unit is equipped with a safe, good size clean bathroom, several towels and sheets were kept in the closet. The full kitchen had everything needed to cook a good meal. There was a pool and pool bar right outside the unit on the right. The beach had a few cabanas and several loungers are available. The water was perfect. The front desk staff and the beach / bar staff was very friendly and helpful. The maid came in the middle of the week to clean and was very pleasant.

There is a small snack bar right across on the beach. When you come out of the parking lot the restaurant Bon Appetite has music every evening and a good menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The walk to the other buildings is uphill. Hollywood casino, an Italian restaurant and a small market are right outside the property. The Villas have a couple of restaurants which we did not eat at. There are a few supermarkets on Welfare road and quite a few restaurants and bars at walking distance.

We rented a car and drove around the island. The French side is really nice with beautiful white sand beaches - Orient beach is the biggest and very busy. Phillipsburg is good for shopping and the boardwalk along the water has several restaurants and bars. Marigot is beautiful and eating fresh seafood at the Lolos in Grand Case is a fun experience.

Overall a wonderful stay, thanks to the customer service and front desk staff. I definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The F buildings have the best beach front location. The Marina bldg and the villas have good views...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to leave your review! Every comment is important to us as they help us always serve you better.

I do remember your special request and it was a pleasure to help you. I'm happy to read that everything went great and that you had a wonderful time with us. Thank you for your kind comments and for such a descriptive review, I'm sure it will come in handy to many other travelers around the world!

I hope this is not your last visit but rather the beginning of a long friendship at your home away from home in St. Maarten; it will be a real pleasure to have you back with us anytime you want.

Please let me know in advance next time you want to come visit, I will be happy to assist you personally.

Until next time, please receive my warmest regards from the Caribbean.

Camilo Olea
Online Community Manager
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I enjoy year after year coming here. My room is right on the ocean. Fun times and very family and friendly. Beautiful place to visit and close to everything one can need. Must go to the Marina pool bar and meet your bar girl . Sweet person. (Don't mention names sorry)

Room Tip: Pick the ocean front rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I would definitely recommend Simpson bay Resort & Marina. My husband and I spent 5 days there and we loved it. I stayed in B408, a one bedroom suite. I was originally given room B304, a one bedroom suite. Upon checking in the room, I noticed water was on the floor in the bedroom. I just assumed that housekeeping cleaned just prior to my arrival and didn't dry the floors throughly. I dried the floors and went out for the day. When we returned that night late, it was more water on the floor so I called the front desk and they were more than accommadating. The attendant changed our room without hesitation and brought us the key. The rooms were clean and spacious. Air Conditioning was excellent! The view was breathtaking. Houskeeping came everyday except for Sunday. Perfect location in proximity to everything. However, we did rent a car, based on other reviews. I loved it! The only complaint my husband had was with the TVs. He can not live without the sports highlights! Unfortunately, both TVs were in poor conditions, looking as if the picture tubes had seen better days. Have of the TV screens were blue! Not a deal breaker for me since I don't go on vacation to watch TV!

Philipsburg, null, Netherlands Antilles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We love the island from since we set foot on it, and people are warm and welcoming and very friendly, we felt important and made friends very quickly. The hotel we checked in is wonderful and the staff are more then excellent. Mr.Skinner Jules made us feel like we were being welcomed by our best friends home and being that we were on our honey moon he just toke care of my beautiful wife and i and made our stay be very special. If you need anything he is that guy he would help you as much as he can.
The beaches are beautiful and a tip for honey moaners french side restaurants are the best place to be on a romantic dinner. Am looking forward to go back and enjoy our home away from home :)

Room Tip: Get a room anywhere on the 5th to the 8th floor
Guilford,CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

just arrived today from St Bart's. Very pleased with the service and villa. villa was Veryclean and was ready when we arrived at 1:30 which we were really happy about Had a good lunch at Toppers at the end of the beach and we're going back for grilled lobster tonight. Wonderful location. very happy I chose this resort.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Simpson Bay Resort and Marina during the week of May 12th to May 19th. Having read the prior reviews, I had concerns before going, but I found the place was much improved over the earlier reviews. I found the staff to be very accommodating and friendly, and the room to be spotlessly clean. The resort is built on a hillside and sprawls over several acres. After we booked, we were concerned that as Interval Timeshare Exchange guests we would be placed in the one of the buildings that are located high up on the hill. This would have been a problem because my girlfriend has bad knees. I e-mailed the resort with my concern a few weeks before the trip. The operations manager promptly responded and said that they would do their best to accommodate us based on availability. When we arrived, they had a suite waiting in the Marina Building - right on Simpson Bay. This was the perfect location and very central to the resort's facilities. After we arrived, the operations manager followed up with a phone call to be sure that we were happy with the accommodations.
Simpson Bay Resort has ample facilities. Three restaurants, a grocery store, a rental car agency, a gift shop, a dive shop and water tour company (Aqua Mania) are on the premises. There are several pools, some with swim up bars and there are also tennis courts. The property is also within walking distance to several other restaurants, shops and grocery stores.
The room was a one bedroom unit. It was not yet renovated, so it slightly showed its age, None-the-less, the suite more than met our needs. It was well equipped, well maintained, and well apportioned. The bed was comfortable. Our only problem is that there were water bugs (small roaches) mostly in the bathroom at night. They were suppose to spray as part of a monthly pest control program, but I forgot to take the "do Not Disturb" sign out of the door that day so it did not get done., They were suppose to return the next day - but never did. We just had to keep things sealed that we did not want the bugs to get into. That's the tropics.
I took the timeshare tour and got $75 in certificates good at the resort's restaurants, shops and tour company. The representative was very helpful, courteous, and professional; even after he knew that I definitely was not in the market to buy additional timeshare time. He provided many good tips on Simpson Bay and St. Maartin and showed me a renovated room, which was quite impressive. There was no sales pressure at all. It appeared to me that the timeshare sales force also served as social coordinators, as they seemed to run the house social activities that we attended.
Otherwise, the suite was spotless when we checked in; and the maid again did a thorough mid-week cleaning. Most timeshares just empty trash and provide fresh towels in mid week. My only true complaint is the concierge service was not so good. We had the concierge book a restaurant in Grand Case a day in advance. She made the booking but never got back to us to confirm that the reservation was made. I called several times during business hours the day of the reservation, but either no one answered the call or the call was diverted to the front desk. We showed up at the restaurant not knowing whether we had reservations or not.
My impression of Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is generally favorable. It seemed that the employees were happy and tight knit and that attitude conveyed to the guests. I also spoke with many timeshare owners who own several weeks and return to this resort every year. (That says allot) It was obvious to me that the management and staff is working hard to make this resort top shelf. They are making progress, but still are not quite there. Once the renovations are complete, the facilities will be there. However, some of the services still need to improve, such as the concierge service. Bottom line - I would have no problem returning to this resort.

Room Tip: Even though not yet refurbished, the Marina Building is a great location.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Management Response:

Dear Mr. Bressi,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments with us, your feedback is critical for the continuous improvement of our Resort.

We are happy to know that you had a great vacation experience and we'll make sure to share this comment with our staff to encourage them to continue providing the quality of service that you expect. We are also thankful for the comments mentioned about concierge service, this will allow us to review and provide the require training to our staff; the art of following up is a key component in the service industry. Thank you for creating this memorable learning experience for us as we strive to ensure total satisfaction for all visiting guests.

We look forward to seeing you again, all the staff at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina will be happy to welcome you back!

Warm regards from sunny St. Maarten,
Flamingo Beach Resort
Flamingo Beach Resort
#3 of 9 in Philipsburg
4.0 of 5 stars 878 reviews

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!