I have recently returned from a timeshare traded (RCI)week (June 1 –June 8, 2013) at Simpson Bay Resort. My wife, adult daughter, son-in-law and myself stayed in a Two-bedroom unit in the “D” Dieffenbachia building. We were in the newly renovated unit D-7 which overlooked the Marina.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Jules at the front desk. He answered many of the numerous questions my wife asked, promptly, professionally and with a smile. We were given information about the property and a map of where amenities were located on site.
Sleeping accommodations seem to be most important in all the reviews I read here on TripAdvisor. For all you travelers who complain about hard beds in Mexico, that is not the case here. The bed was memory foam and like sleeping on a cloud. The other complaint prevalent in most timeshare reviews is the sharks that sell the timeshares. Again, not an issue at this property, sales people were extremely low key and were not hounding endlessly asking guests to attend presentations. In fact, we were never approached and personally asked to attend a presentation! At one of the gatherings it was mentioned we could book a time to attend and receive $75.00 resort credit for attending a presentation, and participate in a weekly drawing for $500.00 cash for presentation attendance.
There are many amenities on the property, Aqua Mania for water sports, Peli Deli for grocery items (reasonable prices for the convenience of not driving or leaving property), although shopping and restaurants were located close by. Our unit was located by the “D” pool which had limited use, almost like having a private pool about 30 yards from our front balcony! There were charcoal grills located there also for those wanting to use them. Towel exchange was a short walk from the pool and on the way to the beach. We never lacked dry towels in our unit or on the beach. If you need anything while at the beach, see Elvis, he is most helpful and friendly, and he too has a great smile and personality.
Many reviewers on this forum list negative aspects of timeshare properties, but, I am hard-pressed to find faults with Simpson Bay. Hills may be a problem for folks with limited mobility. There were minor annoyances like squeaky door hinges, a sink stopper that did not close and door knobs that were loose, but you have to see that I am really reaching for things to find fault with. There was a nesting bird that kept flying at our heads at times when we left our unit. I told security and the front desk and was told maintenance would take care of the situation. As we left for the airport, the dive bombing bird flew at our heads one last time, so this was one issue that was not resolved. However, none of these issues were important enough to be a deal breaker for my wanting to return to this resort.
All in all the staff was helpful, professional and friendly. Wilta our housekeeper did a fine job of cleaning our place for us, Thank you Wilta. The grounds and facility were well kept and clean. The resort was well situated and located in a nice area overlooking Simpson Bay.
I currently own 6 timeshare weeks in Sedona, Arizona, New Bern, North Carolina and Mazatlan, Mexico. I have stayed at timeshares in California, throughout the Baja Coast of Mexico and Sint Maarten and state the unit at Simpson Bay was one of the nicest, comfortable, well-appointed and functional I have vacationed at.
I am counting the days until I can return to this resort and lovely island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking Simpson Bay, one of the most popular spots on St. Maarten, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a peaceful Mediterranean-style holiday village offering comfortable suites and all the services guests could possibly need during their Caribbean vacation. With a sheltered private beach, five pools and colorful gardens full of bougainvillea, hibiscus and Allamanda, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a captivating island hideaway where you can enjoy the best family vacation ever. A varied activity program, tennis courts, a spa, water sports, dining and evening entertainment make it a favorite with visitors of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina St. Maarten-St. Martin