This place really didn't make a solid impression positively or negatively. The area is beautiful. The resort is in a fairly good location (close to airport, near several good off site restaurants and bars as well as a grocery store). The beach accessible from within the resort was okay, but rather small with a somewhat steep drop close in to shore. Probably the thing I like best at this resort were the beach attendants. Thanks to them everyone seemed to find a satisfying spot even with people reserving lounges and shade early (the towel droppers that hold spots all day and show up around 2 in the afternoon). What I didn't like at all were the hills. Staying in the lower B building I encountered a hill any time I left the building. There was also a pretty steep hill returning to the resort if you walked to any of the nearby restaurants. Another thing I didn't like was that the resort seemed full of cars. Many people opted to rent cars and between those cars, the resort vans and buses and delivery or construction trucks it didn't feel much like paradise. Not so relaxing dodging drivers. I noticed the license plates said St Maartin was the "friendly island". I'm glad they told me because none of the staff at the resort (other than the maid cleaning our unit when we arrived around 4:30 in the afternoon) was even remotely friendly. Some of the guards and cleaning staff actually seemed to snarl instead of acknowledging a hello. We stayed in one of the unrenovated units and it really wasn't that bad. By the time we left I had actually grown to like the space and the super large patio. I did see some of the renovated untis and was not impressed. In an attempt to modernize and appear luxurious the resort made the units dark and unwelcoming. Since I slept on the sleeper sofa I was doubly glad we didn't get a renovated unit since they replaced the sleeper sofa with two twin size murphy beds! Ridiculous!!! I want to give this resort a rating between average and poor. It is definitely below my average expectations, but not as bad a poor. While it is definitely not a place I'd return many people I spoke with there told me they LOVED it there.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina St Maarten-St Martin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is ideally positioned on the beach, midway between the island's most popular night spots and shopping. Fine Restaurants abound to tempt your pallet, jewelry stores to browse through plus a car rental conveniently located in the lobby and an activity center makes it easy to plan excursions to dive/snorkel spots along with a variety of water sports. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelClick, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.