We stayed only one night in November, prior to heading out to our cruise. Since we only planned for a single night, we took the lowest end (basement) room available. We were pleasantly surprised by an upgrade to a better level room (semi-basement). The room was certainly spacious enough and much more than adequate for our needs - king size bed, kitchenette, plenty of drawer and hanger space.
The beach on Simpson Bay is good....not the best I've seen in the Caribbean, but it's certainly long enough and clean enough and there's a really nice view of the main town and port facilities. You won't find too many beach bars or other establishments there.
If you've read some of the other reviews, you already know the location is right next to the airport runway. That's not a problem for sleeping, as no flights leave after early evening. We actually enjoyed going to the roof top of the hotel and watching the planes arrive and depart.
The biggest drawback is the road into the hotel. It's more like a narrow driveway, which can make for a difficult entrance or departure.
By all means try the restaurant and bar here. The drinks and food are both excellent; decent selection and well prepared.
Like many of the other reviewers here, we found the service to be top-notch, both for promptness and attitude. When we were leaving, we asked the desk manager to get a taxi for us; instead, he had one of the staff (John, from Grenada, where we've vacationed often) drive us to the cruise terminal. Audrey, who as our server for both drinks and dinner, was delightful and talked about her own travel experiences in the islands.
For a couple of nights before moving on to something else on St. Maarten, this is a perfect place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME TO MARY'S BOON BEACH HOTEL & SPA - recently under new management since November 2012 and now busy updating the entire property and rooms. Please note that many of the room photo's you see online have not yet been updated to show the new rooms. The owners and staff of Mary's Boon Beach Hotel & Spa invite you to experience the magic of our historic hotel on the beautiful island of St. Maarten. A true Caribbean style hotel with all the compforts you expect and in operation since the early 70's. This intimately run St. Maarten Small Hotel is tucked away from the crowds, earning Mary's Boon the soubriquet, "St Maarten's Little Secret". Located on a beautiful three-mile beach Mary's Boon is conveniently near to the action. Great shopping, dining, night life and outdoor activities can be found close by, while affording guests a private haven to return to at the end of each day.If all you want to do is to while away hours in the sun, then Mary's Boon has all the elements to ensure a relaxing break away from the bustle of everyday life. The Hotel offers several types of accommodations, from the very budget minded economy rooms to 1 bedroom beachfront suites and amenities include The Tides Restaurant, bar service is from morning to late evening, and a swimming pool is just step away from your room. The winner of many awards and just voted "BEST HOTEL" in 2013 by the readers of the St Maarten Daily Herald Paper! Lovely tropical gardens and all situated on one of the islands' best beaches. Mary's Boon, a classic Caribbean destination, provides a unique Island experience that has something for everyone! It's the NEW Mary's Boon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mary`s Boon Beach Hotel Simpson Bay
- Marys Boon Beach Plantation Hotel
- Mary's Boon Beach Resort And Spa St Maarten-St Martin/Simpson Bay