“Excellent location and staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

You added Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Simpson Bay Road | St Maarten, Simpson Bay 00000, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Simpson Bay
New Jersey
“Excellent location and staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed only one night in November, prior to heading out to our cruise. Since we only planned for a single night, we took the lowest end (basement) room available. We were pleasantly surprised by an upgrade to a better level room (semi-basement). The room was certainly spacious enough and much more than adequate for our needs - king size bed, kitchenette, plenty of drawer and hanger space.

The beach on Simpson Bay is good....not the best I've seen in the Caribbean, but it's certainly long enough and clean enough and there's a really nice view of the main town and port facilities. You won't find too many beach bars or other establishments there.

If you've read some of the other reviews, you already know the location is right next to the airport runway. That's not a problem for sleeping, as no flights leave after early evening. We actually enjoyed going to the roof top of the hotel and watching the planes arrive and depart.

The biggest drawback is the road into the hotel. It's more like a narrow driveway, which can make for a difficult entrance or departure.

By all means try the restaurant and bar here. The drinks and food are both excellent; decent selection and well prepared.

Like many of the other reviewers here, we found the service to be top-notch, both for promptness and attitude. When we were leaving, we asked the desk manager to get a taxi for us; instead, he had one of the staff (John, from Grenada, where we've vacationed often) drive us to the cruise terminal. Audrey, who as our server for both drinks and dinner, was delightful and talked about her own travel experiences in the islands.

For a couple of nights before moving on to something else on St. Maarten, this is a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While some of the prior reviews gave me pause (runway, water pressure, internet) I was very satisfied with my 4-night stay. They allowed me an early check-in (which they will do if the room is empty) The hotel staff are incredibly helpful, especially the following;
Raoul for advice on where to eat and nightlife.
Elena on helping me map out an itinerary around the island
BUT THE AWARD FOR MOST HELPFUL GOES TO: the security guard that helped me re-attach the bumper to my rental car. This guy saved me a potential hassle with the rental car company and should be singled out by management as going above and beyond....I wish I had his name to send him a personal thank you note. (Mark feel free to PM me or otherwise convey my sincere appreciation).
The property itself is on the beach and the rooms were more than adequate (fridge/stove). They had a late night party on Thanksgiving night...other than that it was quiet after 10 pm.
Sunday afternoon was a beach party. It's a little bit tucked away but one you get the hang of the 3 turns off the main road...its cake! There is also a little grocery store about a 5 minute walk. If you want the beach and Simpson Bay, this is probably the spot.

Room Tip: I was in 210 which is ocean and beachfront but next to kitchen and above the outdoor party area so i...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It is my first time staying here despite I have been to St Maarten many times. Stayed only one night on beach condo.. Perfect spot and nice view.
Loved the location and comfort. I already booked my next trip to stat longer... Check out the beach view

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Really enjoyed our 5 night stay. The staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Any issues were quickly resolved (replaced a broken blender and got ESPN on for college football). I would definetly recommend this place to anyone looking for a cool place in St Maarten. I was worried about being so close to the airport but actually found it enjoyable as you are a baseball toss from the jets as they roar down the runway for takeoff. The only complaint i have about our entire stay was the bed was not very comfortable and sagged badly to one side. The oceanfront studio was loaded with a kitchenette, coffee maker, fridge, blender, glasses, pans, hotplate, & microwave. There is a small asian run grocery store nearby that can easly be walked. A case of Heineken was 18 usd.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The staff was so attentive and helpful. The location was beautiful. the beach was the best!
Very nice and reasonable restaurant and bar. we did not use the pool or spa but both looked nice. Lots of room to unpack- we hate living out of a suitcase!

Room Tip: we had a beachfront- walk out the door and 3 miles of beach and beautiful water
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

Stayed here during my visit to St. Maartens. Staff was really friendly and helpful. It's pretty close to the airport runway so provides for amazing entertainment.

Also, it's not far from where everything else is so moving around is pretty easy. :-)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

This was my fifth time back to Mary's Boon, and so long as you go in prepared, I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed.

Here's what I mean by "be prepared." There are a couple of quirks.

First, the airport. Google the hotel. Then zoom out a little. Yes, that's a runway. Okay, now that that's out of the way, Google St. Martin's airport. This ain't JFK. The take-offs that will interrupt your day come few and far between. I guess if you have no clue that the property is this close to an airport, it could come as a shock. But I suspect you'll barely notice after a little while. (And truthfully there's something ridiculously awesome about seeing a jet gently careen overhead, as well as knowing that while those suckers are leaving the island, you get to stay behind!)

Second, the location. The drive off of the main road to the property would make my mom skittish, regardless of what would greet her at the end. Be prepared for a not very picturesque drive there and you'll most likely barely notice it after the first couple of times down the road.

And honestly, that's where the quirks end.

The good stuff:

I've never found another place in the world where for less than $200 you can have a room that allows you to stumble from your bed to the sandy edge of the Caribbean in less than 30 feet. It's staggering how reasonable this place is in relation to the beach frontyness of it.

The beach is a stunner. They have lots of chairs, live music on weekends (that isn't too loud if you end up taking a nap), and a calmness to the whole set-up that makes it seem otherworldly.

Staff is about as nice as can be.

The room was perfectly serviceable. Bed was comfortable with lots of extra pillows. Water pressure was meh, but who cares. A/C worked perfectly. Kitchenette was a nice perk. Internet worked okay, not super-zippy, but you're on vacation, chill out. The grounds are cute and overgrown, the house dogs (who patrol during the day) and house cats (who keep guard at night) were great to see and made me miss my pets a little less.

As mentioned, I've stayed here before, the last time being probably 8 years ago or longer. While not much has changed, there was one new thing cementing this place as the hotel I'll stay at whenever visiting St. Maarten. In the time since I last visited, the island has added a bridge connecting Airport Road in Simpson Bay to Marigot. Previously to get to either of the big towns on the island you'd have to drive 30-45 min. But this bridge gets you into Marigot in 7 minutes. That's pretty brilliant and makes this place as convenient as can be.

And... there was one thing missing, super tiny, but I thought I'd mention it. I missed the buckets of water left outside the door for washing the sand off my feet after coming from the beach. They had always been there on prior stays and they didn't have them this time. Not a huge deal by any stretch, but... perhaps the room service staff would have less sand to clean up if there was a quick way to rinse my feet before going into the room.

All in all a great place. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I've always done the beachfront rooms. Can't go wrong with them.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!