“"a true treasure to the island of st. maarten"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

You added Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Simpson Bay Road | St Maarten, Simpson Bay 00000, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
new jersey
“"a true treasure to the island of st. maarten"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just got back last week from paradise, we stayed the week of 8/10-8/17. If i knew than what i know now, I wouldn't be writing this review i would still be in the on beach at the boon.
My wife and i picked up that week of a friend of ours who has a few time share weeks there. She told me she has been vacationing at the island for 20 plus years.
So, we took her week and we stayed at her beautiful 1-bedroom on the beach. The unit was #10 and I believe unit #9 has the same layout, though a bit different decor. the unit was very spacious with a full kitchen and fridge. the living-room was equally impressive size with a nice leather sofa that had two recliners on each side. It has cable tv in the living room and satellite tv with a flat screen in the bedroom. the bedroom had a king size bed and was very comfortable.
the location in our opinion bar none is the best on the island. its literally in back of the airport and in the middle of simpson bay. We live close to an airport in nj and never get tired of seeing the planes take off and land. its hard to believe the planes really don't bother you, for i believe the first flight out is like 8ish and the last flight in is probably 9ish. so dont let thought of plane let you pass by paradise. they also have an observation deck where you can watch planes take off or land....real cool.
the beach in front of the resort was spectacular.....calm, clear, blue water just what the doc prescribed. the funny thing was we rented a car searching for the best beaches on the island and the reality was we just had to open our french doors to get to it. I would suggest bring your snorkel gear, for you can see little fish swimming around. The beach it self was empty and for what i understand that most of the time its like that. we have never been to a beach that nice were basically it was just my wife and myself. there are plenty of chairs even if you wake up late for the beach.
the property is owned by mark and carla, which we had the pleasure of meeting on our trip. they are great down to earth people that not only care about improving the resort but making sure the guest is happy. i got so many tips and ideas from them. we were there just for a week but i see them hard at work improving the property. i loved the architecture of the property, for most inside of the buildings have the exposed wood beams. the exposure of wood beams and railings juxtaposition to the palms and simple garden walk way gives it a true Caribbean feel like no other.
the staff also help define mary boon is a place where not only a vaction begins, but where you come back to see family. it was such a pleasure to see melvin every morning. he would drop my papers by the door early on the morning. i would usally catch him a little later as he keeps with grounds. he would always ask me if we were having fun, and i would also get his thoughts if were going out for the day.....tell melvin we said hello, his friends from jersey. we also had the pleasure of meeting carol and tracy ann, who were taking care of our unit. they made our stay clean and comfortable.
we highly recommended this resort for family's, friends, couples, or even singles. marys boon is a treasure to explore for anyone looking for a resort with true Caribbean character.
again, thanks mark and carla and please don't make too many changes wee love the character of the resort.
we dont repeat vacations but i think we will have to repeat marys boon next year :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
It was our pleasure to meet you have you as guests at Mary's Boon and a sincere thank you very much for the kind words. Even though their is just not enough time in the day for everything, after almost 17 years Mary's Boon is still my passion. We all work very hard everyday to make sure every guests vacation is just as good as the one you experienced. We have a GREAT staff and yes Melvin is one of the best of the best, he forgets nothing or no one and remembers everything....even from the early MB days over 40 years ago. But he is really pretty typical of most Island people and why they call St Maarten friendly island. So when it gets cold up in New Jersey or even when its not cold keep Mary's Boon in mind when you want another great vacation. I'm Mark Cleveland (not Tom Bodett- motel 6) and we'll leave a light on for you.....oh, and a chair on the beach! Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staying at Mary's Boon was a happy accident for me. My destination on St. Maarten was ultimately Maho Beach to see the planes land. The resorts near Maho ended up being prohibitively expensive, so I started looking for resorts that were walking distance to the famous beach. That's how I found Mary's Boon.

Let me start with the headline: The best thing about Mary's Boon is that it's off the beaten path. The worst thing about Mary's Boon is that it's off the beaten path. This resort is tucked away on Simpson Bay, and it's a quiet little resort away from the fuss and fanfare of St. Maarten's tourism. Conversely, you're tucked away from the fuss and fanfare of St. Maarten's tourism. If you want to see and do stuff, you either need to rent a car, take a taxi, or walk at least 15 minutes. If you want a quiet little resort where you can sit by the beach, sit by the pool, and have a few good meals, Mary's Boon is your destination.

What makes Mary's Boon an absolute gem is it's people. Everyone who works at this resort wants to make their guests have a good time. This includes everyone from the office staff, to the housekeeping staff, to the owners, to the kitchen staff, to the wait staff. Everyone is friendly.

No matter what myneed, the staff was there to help. What impressed me was that Mark and Carla would sit down and talk to their guests about anything related to their stay or anything in general. The owners truly lead by example. During my visit, the entire island was having a problem with mosquitos, and saw I Carla coming around at breakfast with both bug repellent and aloe to sooth bug bites. Mark and Carla exemplify St. Maarten's reputation as "the Friendly Island." During my entire stay, I was treated like a guest in someone's home and not someone who had just spent a lot of money for a night in some big hotel. That's what makes Mary's Boon so special.

My stay wasn't perfect, but I can sincerely state that the pros clearly outweighed the cons. Wifi in my part of the resort was spotty at times, but Mark tells me that they have some mobile hotspots to work around that issue and that they're workig with a contractor to build a better service for their guests. Maintenance in my room was pretty good, but not every room has seen this level of care. The owners are trying to catch up on some issues that the previous owners ignored.

I had a lovely stay at Mary's Boon. Was it perfect? No. Will I go back? You'd better believe it.

Room Tip: Go for anything beachfront. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Mike, I want to thank you for your visit to Mary's Boon this past summer. It was nice to talk with you during your stay as its always good to get the thoughts of a well traveled person. Yes, even though we are very close to most tourist types of things and right on Simpson Bay Beach MB is a little off the beaten path....which as you say is good news for those who find us and bad news for those who don't. I guess I will have to break down and put up some direction road signs! Unfortunately nothing is just perfect in life but more importantly we do try to fix what's not perfect so when your ready for a nice little get-away from Boston please remember us. Thanks again!
ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My favorite place in the caribbean. Would not think of staying anywhere else. We try to go to Mary's twice a year. This year we went in March for 9 days. Couldn't get enough so we came back in June and stayed 2 weeks. That was more like it! Through the years we have come to know many of the wonderful people who make this place so special. It's like coming home when you are greeted with such warmth and you just know your stay will be perfect. Even Stripe & Molly were happy to see us! I must say when I read some of the negative comments, I almost take it personally, but people have the right to their own opinion. I watch as guests leave to venture out to other beaches on the island and wonder why - Mary's beach is just so perfect - never crowded, attentive staff, your room steps away. Breakfast and lunch are always wonderful. Dinners can be inconsistent, but the location and atmosphere far outway this. When we do venture away from Mary's - even for the day, we find ourselves anxious to return. It is apparent the work that Mark is doing to improve, there's always a project going on, but I hope they stay mostly cosmetic because Mary's Boon is the real caribbean experience and not too much needs changing! I do miss being able to have a massage though, maybe soon? Don't change it too much Mark! Love it just the way it is....We can't wait to return and maybe we'll squeeze in visit #3 this year - keeping fingers crossed.....my best to Melvin, John, Lisa (keep in touch), Neilia,& Carol, all very special people.

Room Tip: I'm keeping my room favorite a secret
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Very happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon.....again! Like I always say to my staff, most people just don't get enough vacation time and that's way we work hard everyday to try to make sure your vacation at Mary's Boon is as good as it can be. Yes, lots of upgrading projects going on and I am working on having the Spa fully open again and better than ever by late fall. Thanks for the kind words and we all look forward to seeing you back at Mary's Boon very soon!
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We flew from Australia and initially booked for one week, after the first few days we changed our mind and stayed for 3 weeks, Mark the previous owner has now taken over the hotel again. The staff are wonderful Jo in the office, Melvin in the yard and Lisa in the bar just to name a few, Mark and the staff make you feel very comfortable and special. the location of the hotel is superb, you can walk to sunset beach and watch the planes, or walk to the bars and restaurants in Simpson bay or just enjoy one of the best beaches on St Marteens. After 3 weeks we left and moved around the island for 2 weeks but returned for 3 more days before we left. I would highly recommend this hotel for couples or families you will not leave disappointed.

Room Tip: choose a unit on the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Warren, thank you! What a real delight it was to have you and your wife stay at Mary's Boon and so happy you enjoyed your visit. I know it's not a easy trip coming from Australia to St Maarten but I hope you will return again and again. Safe travels wherever in the world you might be!
Thornton, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We flew into St. Maarten a day earlier than we had expected and were searching the internet when we were in between flights while in San Juan. We saw reviews, here, on TA, and decided to give it a try. Reviewers are right about proximity to the sxm runway, so if you a plane enthusiast this is the place for you! They even have top of the roof observation decks on which you can sun or watch the boats over one side or the planes on the other! The landscaping is just plainly described as beautiful. Tropical trees and flowers are everywhere. Though the concrete and stone-mixed sidewalks are a perfect complement to the landscape, they are difficult for thse who are using mobility devices! We ended up booking an extra week in one of the beachside units!

• Stayed June 2013
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Mary's Boon and for your kind words and so happy you enjoyed your stay. We recently became the owners again this past Thanksgiving Day and have been busy since then working on upgrading the property and rooms. Yes....the close by airport is just part of what has made Mary's Boon unique Caribbean style hotel for the past 43 years. Many of the islands largest Hotels are in our area and normally more fun to most that watch the planes come and go, than a negative issue as the airport does close at night. I agree that the cobblestone main hotel walkway could be easier to walk on to some but I do have in future plans to improve that without affecting what's been part of the Hotel since the beginning . We know that vacations are to far and few between and the staff works hard everyday to make sure your vacation at Mary's Boon is the very best possible. Please do keep us in mind for your next visit. Thanks again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is one of many little boutique hotels on St. Marten that I have wanted to try. My husband and I had 1 night at the end of our stay on the island that we needed to find a hotel for so I looked up Marys Boon. There was a summer special so we thought we would give it a try.
First with the positives. We were allowed to check in early because the hotel was not busy. There is a lovely uncrowded beach. You can walk for a mile in each direction. Beach chairs were plentiful. There is a restaurant right on the beach. The food was very good for lunch. Not overly priced. Drink prices were a little high. The service was horrible but since they add an automatic 15% to the bill for service why should they care.
The grounds are well kept and clean but nothing special. The room that they gave us was right off the pool. We booked a garden view room but since the hotel was not crowded there seemed to be many. This must have been the room they give as their discount special. The garden era shed was on the little patio. Extra pool chairs were on the little patio. So it wasn't usable space. We must have been next to the laundry because the dryers were running all evening. The airplane noise was loud but stopped at 2145. The room itself was ok. It took about 5 minutes to get tepid water to take a shower. The room was quite hot and even with the ceiling fan on high and air conditioning on high it took 2 hours to cool the room enough to be able to sit in there. There were a few roaches that we found during the evening.
So I guess I'd say the site is beautiful and the hotel charming. I just would make sure I didn't get the room by the pool.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit to Mary's Boon and your review. We recently did become the owners again of the Hotel and busy working on updating the rooms and property which we hope to be completed by the end of the year. Even though the room you booked into was our most budget room I do totally understand how you felt as I had a similar experience while on a trip to Chicago at a Four Star hotel. You kind of get the feeling of being the stepchild as you walk past much nicer rooms but get put in the little room in the corner. Most of our guests book these rooms for short one or two night visits but it can be aggravating even if you know your paying less. We are working on correcting those issues you spoke of and making sure the guests that do book into that room understand that it is a small budget room but we will try to make it as nice as possible. By far, most of the negative reviews come from these few budget rooms at the Hotel and not the other nicer and larger rooms that are mostly beachfront that is typical of 80% of our hotel rooms. FYI....The restaurant is not managed by the Hotel ownership but is leased out but I will pass your thoughts along to that manager. Sometimes Island time goes a bit to far and no reason for slow service. If you want to review it its under Tides Restaurant on TripAdvisor. If you will give us another on your next visit I will make sure you have a nicer room and better Mary's Boon experience. Thanks!
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We loved our stay at Mary's Boon. The beach is pristine and rock free. If you cannot find a beach chair or an umbrella, one of the staff will quickly find one for you. The bar has steps that go right on to the beach and the restaurant overlooking the beach has great food and is never crowded. The rooms are eclectically furnished which gives you a feel of being in Europe, The bed was really comfortable. We had a small kitchenette but it had a microwave and refrigerator as well as a small stove. The people there ar great. They give you all the privacy or attention you need. DO NOT worry about the planes; they are thrilling and it's fun to see the differnt types that take off and land from the island. We loved it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
So happy to hear you "loved" Mary's Boon and had a great time. We know how important vacations are and my staff and I work hard to make sure you have the very best one possible. We are doing a lot of updating of the property and rooms now and hope you keep us in mind for your next visit to St Maarten. Its the NEW Mary's Boon! Thanks.

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!