“Nice place....Change of Management and Hotel upgrading coming soon.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Simpson Bay Road | St Maarten, Simpson Bay 00000, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Overland Park, Kansas
“Nice place....Change of Management and Hotel upgrading coming soon.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Over the years we have stayed at Mary's Boon many times and for a true Caribbean style vacation its the best place on the Island. Wonderful uncrowed beach,great food and excellent staff, In the past 10 years the rooms and property have gone from so so to great and now back just ok. The problem now as we understand it is that the management will be changing soon so the old management is spending as little as possible on maintance and upgrading until the new management takes over sometime in November from what we hear. I would not let that keep you from staying here, its still a great place and will get even better soon.

Room Tip: Best beach front rooms are 106 or 107 , or for value 120 or 121.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The good: Directly on the beach, walk from most rooms right out to the beach, sit on porch and a enjoy the view, also a good place if you like to watch the planes fly by close overhead. Rooms have full kitchenettes w\ fridge. Free wifi.

The bad: (The beware part) If you book here and pre-pay they have a no refund policy. We attempted to cancel one of the days (3 days advance notice) & they would not allow this change, (so we paid $230+ for a night we were not there, low season & the hotel was empty) also after staying a few days if you want to cancel \change hotels they won’t refunded any pre-paid money. (Most hotels at least will allow a cancel\refund if you at least stay one night) Not here! I spoke directly with the manager & I she would not budge on this. So, make sure you really want to stay here if you book it as you will be stuck! For the price of this room you would think it would be nicer. Walls had holes, towel were ripped and falling apart, (see my pics) bathroom door would not shut & scrapped against the wall, the tv did not work the entire time (even with repeated efforts from the staff to resolve.) If you think you will want to watch any tv do not get rm 16. It’s the last room on the end of their satellite feed and it does not reach. Door has the slats that don’t stay closed & there is no curtain so people can look in and see directly into your room. Pool was dirty. If the price was lower this hotel would be an ‘acceptable’ place since its right on the beach, but not at this price tag! With all the hotel offerings around I would choose another hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to watch TV at all, don't get #16. Its the last one on the Sat. feed & it nvr re...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Amityville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I have been going to St Maarten for several years and I myself have been going since 1984. We stayed at Marys Boon last November for 1 week and had a great experience-. It is not the four seasons but is a comfortable place to stay with nice staff and an awesome beach. I had to laugh when reading the review that said that the neighborhood was in the ghetto and there were drug dealers and prostitutes- which is complete BS. This resort is located in a residential area and there are poor black people that live there, if you are afraid of that don't go to St Maarten go to some cheesy all inclusive instead!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at Marys Boon for 2 nights in August and found it to be a decent hotel. The airplane views are amazing and the beach access is awesome. You have to know going into it that it is in a pretty rough part of town. After you pass the "Bada Bing" strip club, you'll drive by a few abandoned houses, some broken glass buildings, a bunch of cars on blocks, and then a few sketchy side streets. When you get there, the resort is older, but cute.

The rooms are nice, but nothing fancy. The beach access is amazing, but there are several other hotels on Simpson Bay that dont require the less than desired neighborhood.

Next time we go to Sint Maarten, we will not be staying at Marys Boon. The hotel needs updating and the pool NEEDS to be cleaned out (we didnt swim once because it was just too dirty). I went into Marys Boon with realistic expectations, but, even though the manager and the staff were very nice, we were still disappointed.

At best, this is a 3 start hotel in a shady neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Upon entering my room at this 'resort' I discovered the blinds were broken and the interior of the room was visible from outside. Maintenance arrived to assist me about an hour and four calls later, but the blinds completely fell apart when he tried to fix it. I was transferred to a room in the basement of the main house where they keep their storage supplies for the kitchen. I almost had to climb over boxes to get to my room. Forbearingly, I decided to get a drink at the bar followed by a stroll on the beach, however, no one was available to serve me a drink. Luckily, someone passed and casually mentioned that it was ok to 'take a drink and record your usage on the stock sheet near the chiller'. Confused, I got my drink and headed to the beach with my camera in hand. To my horror, I was chased into the ocean by a dog (camera in hand) while a manager looked on unconcerned. I later found out that the dog was the resident pet. (I love dogs and don't mind them having one as a resident charm, but I was severely shocked that he was aggressive enough to attack their guests without receiving a word of apology from the management or staff). As if that was not enough, this hotel borders the airport and sleep is impossible with an active airport such as Princess Juliana Airport.

Oh..and on my way to the first room, I crossed over a dead roach...almost like an omen of all that was to follow.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Parma, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I spent a couple of night at Mary's and I was impressed by the great view of the Ocean on Simpson Bay.
The beach bar is really nice (live music and cold beer is all I needed). Wifi coverage almost everywere.
The bad surprise was the room. Not clean as I would expect for a 300$ room and the internal garden was very dirty. Early in the morning the planes from the 100-ft-far-runaway started to land and take off. That wasn't a problem for me since I was awake very early in the morning because the jet lag but I guess that if you want to fully enjoy the Carribbean with some rest that would be impossible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We only stayed for one night (May 30th) - wish we could have stayed longer. After sailing for a week we needed a place to stay close to the airport before catching a plane home in the morning. When we walked into the reception area I felt like I had been transported back in time to a quaint caribbean plantation. The decor is beautiful and the owner and his entire staff warm and friendly. Four of us in the group shared the Garden Studio (#117) and the other two stayed in a garden studio (#103) - both accomodations were tastefully decorated and comfortable. True we were across the street from the runway but the flights are not that frequent and stop at 9:30 pm. It was actually fun watching the planes land and take off. And the gorgeous beach on Simpson Bay is right there. We ate dinner that evening in their Tides Bar and Lounge. The fresh breeze and hearing the waves on the beach was very relaxing and the skyline view of Philipsburg in the distance was spectacular. And the food was incredible - I ordered the Garlic Shrimp with Mushroom Risotto and it was amazing. Another person in our party had the Rib Eye steak - cooked perfectly and so tender. Everyone else said their food was delicious too. Staying at Mary's Boon was a perfect way to end our vacation. I hope to return someday...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!