“Sounds like fiction, but very true experience...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Simpson Bay Road | St Maarten, Simpson Bay 00000, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Sounds like fiction, but very true experience...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Upon entering my room at this 'resort' I discovered the blinds were broken and the interior of the room was visible from outside. Maintenance arrived to assist me about an hour and four calls later, but the blinds completely fell apart when he tried to fix it. I was transferred to a room in the basement of the main house where they keep their storage supplies for the kitchen. I almost had to climb over boxes to get to my room. Forbearingly, I decided to get a drink at the bar followed by a stroll on the beach, however, no one was available to serve me a drink. Luckily, someone passed and casually mentioned that it was ok to 'take a drink and record your usage on the stock sheet near the chiller'. Confused, I got my drink and headed to the beach with my camera in hand. To my horror, I was chased into the ocean by a dog (camera in hand) while a manager looked on unconcerned. I later found out that the dog was the resident pet. (I love dogs and don't mind them having one as a resident charm, but I was severely shocked that he was aggressive enough to attack their guests without receiving a word of apology from the management or staff). As if that was not enough, this hotel borders the airport and sleep is impossible with an active airport such as Princess Juliana Airport.

Oh..and on my way to the first room, I crossed over a dead roach...almost like an omen of all that was to follow.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Parma, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I spent a couple of night at Mary's and I was impressed by the great view of the Ocean on Simpson Bay.
The beach bar is really nice (live music and cold beer is all I needed). Wifi coverage almost everywere.
The bad surprise was the room. Not clean as I would expect for a 300$ room and the internal garden was very dirty. Early in the morning the planes from the 100-ft-far-runaway started to land and take off. That wasn't a problem for me since I was awake very early in the morning because the jet lag but I guess that if you want to fully enjoy the Carribbean with some rest that would be impossible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We only stayed for one night (May 30th) - wish we could have stayed longer. After sailing for a week we needed a place to stay close to the airport before catching a plane home in the morning. When we walked into the reception area I felt like I had been transported back in time to a quaint caribbean plantation. The decor is beautiful and the owner and his entire staff warm and friendly. Four of us in the group shared the Garden Studio (#117) and the other two stayed in a garden studio (#103) - both accomodations were tastefully decorated and comfortable. True we were across the street from the runway but the flights are not that frequent and stop at 9:30 pm. It was actually fun watching the planes land and take off. And the gorgeous beach on Simpson Bay is right there. We ate dinner that evening in their Tides Bar and Lounge. The fresh breeze and hearing the waves on the beach was very relaxing and the skyline view of Philipsburg in the distance was spectacular. And the food was incredible - I ordered the Garlic Shrimp with Mushroom Risotto and it was amazing. Another person in our party had the Rib Eye steak - cooked perfectly and so tender. Everyone else said their food was delicious too. Staying at Mary's Boon was a perfect way to end our vacation. I hope to return someday...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Doswell, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We were scheduled to stay at Mary's Boon for 5 nights. The drive to the resort is enough to frighten anyone. People living in their cars, drug deals, prostitutes. Didn't even feel safe leaving the rental car, which coincidentally, they would not even give us one with hubcaps! The pool was dirty, the sidewalks uneven and broken, and the fountain wasn't functional. We asked to see our room. The smell of mold was overwhelming. The kitchenette was dirty. Called travel agent and demanded to be moved ASAP. I would NEVER stay here. The view is breathtaking but it is ever where on the island. Personal safety is foremost.

Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

The hotel is located on a wonderful beach (nb: not next to a beach, ON the beach) that is nice for swimming and relaxation. It's a public beach, but hardly anyone comes by here, so the athmosphere is very private. Massages or dining on the beach are possible.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly. They don't just treat you like a guest, but like a friend. I travel a lot, but no other hotel managed to make me feel so at home as the Mary's Boon does.

If you are into aviation, the rooftop offers some unique views on the runway, that is right next to the hotel. Unless you are extremely sensitive to noise, this is not a problem, though, as there are no night movements at St. Maarten.

I've stayed at the Boon for the second time this year, and I am guaranteed to come back.

Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Went with my wife and friends. This is my fifth stay at Mary's Boon. The friendliest staff one could ever hope for. The beach is incredible. The view and the view from the roof top bar can't be beat.

Room Tip: Room number 6 has the best view on the property, true beachfront.
Charles County, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

This place is fantastic.
Been there several times, most recently in April 2012.
I generally stay in time shares on the other end of Simpson Bay and I'll WALK the bay with Mary's Boon as my destination.
It's a great place for brunch/lunch.
The breakfast food is excellent - the warm croissant is to die for. The inn itself is very charming with a small pool out front in a garden area, and rooms strewn about in a non-linear fashion. Much like a little guest cottage or villa.
Those looking for 5 star facilities should keep looking -
But if you want to be ALONE with someone,
have a delightful meal in the cafe overlooking the sea,
spend the day lounging, swimming, drinking, walking on the beach with cold drinks, hammocks, chairs, friendly faces never far away, this place is a winner.

It IS near the airport so planes do take off and land all day...
But if you're a St Maarten enthusiast you realize that this is a POSITIVE because watching those planes come in and out here is almost ritual. And it does stop in the evening. In my book not a factor....if you're an uptight person, you ain't gonna enjoy this place anyway. I've read other reviews in TOTAL amazement as people complain about slow service in the restaurant, mismatched furnishings, etc. This is NOT the four seasons, it's a charming small business where everything is beautiful and everyone is friendly. You watch...most of the people reviewing with complaints were coming in to stay here for like TWO DAYS or something. Man, you're really missing the point of this whole St. Maarten thing, I must say.

Service has been GREAT (if not really fast) every time I've been there. There's no rush, I'm always GRATEFUL to sit there and linger longer anyway, it's a most beautiful spot. My 6 year old son finishes his meal and begs to go outside and we say YES and then have another cocktail in our seat by the window, perhaps even order DESERT after lunch....this is our vacation and we're enjoying the heck out of it.
You pushy always in a rush types? Go elsewhere...please! :)

I had a meal there with friends last week before my family arrived and said "I love how everything here is DONE PERFECTLY. The arrangements, the way the food is prepared, the way the window treatments are, the way the furniture in the lobby is clean and inviting yet comfortable. The whole place encourages you to........linger.

Plus they have a KICK BUTT wi-fi. One of the best I've seen on the island.

Room Tip: The beachside rooms seem pricey to me. If you stayed garden side you're getting a heck of a val...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!