“Already looking forward to next time...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Caribbean, Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Sparta, New Jersey
“Already looking forward to next time...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at Simpson Bay Resort and Marina where The Stone is located, and after checking out some reviews here we decided to give it a try. Since it's right on the water the views and atmosphere were lovely. We found the hot stone concept interesting (food is served sizzling and basically still cooking) and it definitely contributed to making it a memorable meal, but the real star was the first-rate quality and preparation of the food itself. We had scallops and salmon and both were very simply but elegantly presented and very flavorful. We ended up going there twice during our stay, once for dinner and once more just for their caramelized banana dessert (and also to enjoy the excellent musical stylings of local guitarist Gianfranco Segatto). While we agree with some of the reviewers here that the servers could certainly have been more attentive, we walked away loving both our evenings there and will definitely be back when we are next on the island. Thank you, Johann!

• Visited June 2013

St louis
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Never had a bad meal! Love sitting outside...usually eat there twice a week stay each year we love it so much! Had both desserts and both were great! Better for small groups, tables are small.

Guilford,CT
“Nice waterfront location in Simpson Bay Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I just came from dinner. Waiter was attentive. My husbands beef tenderloin was very good as was my shrimp and scallop combo. Slim pickings for dessert- only 2 choices, but would recommend. They also had live entertainment, a guitarist, who was very good.

The Villages, Florida
“Good Food and Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very good meals. The first night that we dined, we had just arrived on St. Maarten and were looking for a good meal and convenience. Located in the same building as our room, it could not be more convenient. The Stone has a small indoor dining area and a patio dining area overlooking Simpson Bay. We opted to dine inside. My girlfriend ordered the 10oz Ribeye Steak with Seared Foie Gras and Red Wine Sauce that came with mixed vegetables and a salad on the same plate. I had the Farmer Combination: two Beef Fillets (3 oz each), Duck Breast and Flank Steak with Seared Foie Gras. Normally this dish comes with red wine sauce and mushroom sauce. However, because I am on a low carb diet, the owner had the chef prepare sautéed mushrooms in place of the sauces which was excellent. I also had grilled asparagus. My girlfriend and I shared a large bottle of water.
The waiter advised us to order the meat 1 step less cooked that what we desire. We both preferred our meat medium rare so we ordered the meats rare. This is because the meats are brought to the table on a hot stone and continue to cook in front of you as you eat. The food was delicious and it was fun eating the meat off of the hot stone. I especially enjoyed the beef fillet.
While we were there the owner told us of the Monday night lobster special. This consisted of a 1.75 Lb lobster with 2 sides for $39.00 U.S. We also enjoyed the lobster dinner. The food service was good, but it got busy while we were eating and it took about 10 to 15 minutes to get our check. Overall, we enjoyed the Stone and recommend it. Before the tip the first meal was $80.00 and second meal was $83.00. The Stone does not include a service charge (tip) in their bill. We visited on May 13th and 14th 2013.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burlington, Vermont
“Very Slow Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went on a Friday night with my wife, Daughter and family and my grandaughter. We had a reservation and, when we arrived, we were brought to a picnic table. There were no place settings and no table cloth (which all of the other tables had). We finally asked the waiter if we were going to get one and he obliged but his associate, the waitress, rolled her eyes when it arrived. The food was good. I had the lobster, we also had the filet, chicken, talapia and a burger and the fundue as appitizer. The food was all done nicely. The sides were not so good. I had the truffle pureed pototoes and they were very dry. My wife had the sweet potatoes, which were not much better. The others had salads which looked good. The price was high (and we all ordered from the "light" menu) and the food was good but the restaurant was very short handed and that theme seems to run all through these reviews. The atmosphere was ok - just some tables on the beach.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere