“Good food, slow service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 78 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Good food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

My husband and I came here for lunch. We both ordered fish dishes and they were kind enough to substitute rice for a salad. The food was fresh and had a lot of flavor. There was only one waitress and we had to wait awhile for food and drink refills. It's a nice place with a good view.

Dallas, Texas
“Wal-Mart Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Their $11.95 Crab Dip is perfect for two. It was quite tasty, fresh, and authentic. Their $13.95 Fish and chips was a terrible dish, it was clearly an item that had been taken out of a frozen bag then fried. The rice served with their $19.95 Red Snaper was the "great value" type you find in the frozen food section at Wal-Mart. Not only was their food completely not island like, their customer service was horrendous. I would have placed an additional order of their Crab Dip had they been polite, but their attitude, their out of a frozen bag fried fish, and tasteless great value rice earned them 2 out of 5 stars.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I might give up on whole lobsters.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

For my first meal of vacation I was torn between a fondly remembered re-visit to Lee’s or trying somewhere I’d never been. I opted for SkipJack’s Grill, Bar and Fish Market where the music was American but I soon learned that’s the norm: American music with island tunes tossed in. I was seated by a friendly waiter who turned out to be pretty attentive to a lone diner and I got a fist-bump, when I couldn’t get over how phenomenal my appetizer was. (Tuna Carpaccio, sliced thin enough to read through, with olive oil, capers and a hint of onion. It was exquisite in its delicacy.) He assured me when I also went for the grilled lobster that I’d chosen two of his favorites. This says a lot because my waiter clearly loved their menu as it was loaded with tempting fresh seafood. I didn’t even read the land-lubber’s menu of beef, chicken and pasta.

I have a fond memory of Sunshine’s on Nevis many years ago when it was still just a shack on the beach. A man came out of the sea carrying buckets of live lobsters. He told me I could pick my own, then he boiled the buggers in salt water, gave them a dip in a vat of butter and served them up hot with peas and rice, all for $10. SkipJack’s grill smelled delicious and I guess I was once again trying to recreate that long-ago memory so I peered into the lobster tank and at $26 per pound I chose the smallest 2 pounder I could. It was whisked away and was returned to me shortly. Presentation was beautiful, a split spiny lobster with a lettuce and carrot salad and a molded side of rice. Sadly, the lobster was more charred than grilled-a bit over done and a bit of melted butter couldn’t help that. The salad was adequate with a nondescript dressing and as I’d been so carried away by the carpaccio, I was disappointed that even the rice was bland. I really enjoy island side dishes but ‘meh” is the word that comes to mind. I skipped dessert and had a second beer instead.

As I consider the over-all experience: the great location and view, good music, friendly service, killer good appetizer, I’m tempted to conclude that I simply chose the wrong entree. With a 15% service charge tacked on this was my most expensive vacation meal at $84 and when I add in the merely adequate side dishes (the other choices were everyday baked potato or fries) I think I’ll explore other options before I try SkipJack’s again.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Metuchen, New Jersey
“Great dining with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We ate at Skipjack's our first night in St. Maarten. We were seated at a table right along the water - beautiful view of the bridge lit up at night and the boats coming by. We started with an order of fried calamari (fresh & tasty!). For dinner my husband enjoyed the shrimp & scallop pot pie and I enjoyed the grilled shrimp kabob. Both of our meals were very good and fresh. Would definitely return to Skipjack's on our next visit!

Quincy, Massachusetts
“We love this place but ..........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have been eating at Skipjacks for years during our annual trip to St. Maarten. Once again, the tuna grilled in sesame seeds was out of this world. We ate at the bar because we wanted to see the final round of the PGA Championship. The young woman who waited on us was very nice. Our only complaint was we tried to pay our bill with American Express Travelers Cheques and Skipjacks wouldn't accept them. We have had no issues anywhere else on the island. The part that was ludicrous was there was a large sign on the wall coming into Skipjacks that read: "We welcome American Express Travelers Cheques." Ummm. Apparently not so much. We won't be back any time soon. Too bad.

• Visited August 2014