“Not my favorite...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Topper's By The Sea

Topper's By The Sea
6 Billy Folly Road | Flamingo Beach Resort, Simpson Bay 5995, St Maarten-St Martin
544.6002
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 85 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Not my favorite...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Well, Toppers by the Seas was at our resort and we ended up trying them out a few times (mostly for the convenience)...I call it a necessary evil. I could compare it to a tropical version of Denny's or IHOP.

I'll start with the good...the bar and wait staff were great. Friendly, helpful, attentive and everything in between. The location was right on the beach and having a bar close by was pretty sweet.

The bad....the food was not good. $9 got me two small mushrooms with "krab" stuffing. Not fresh, not good, not reasonable in quantity or quality. When we arrived I was so hungry from my travels and we split a mahi sandwich. It was just ok, nothing special. The other two time we ate there was for breakfast and it was fine. Not bad or good. American style breakfast plates and nightly specials with a random performance at night.

The next part is just something I kept observing, which further bothered me about spending my money there... On separate occasions the owner/managers acted distastefully. One day, a skinny blonde lady reamed out the staff in front of us for opening on time and not waiting until she arrived. They were scheduled to open at 8:30 and this was around 9:00. On a rainy day, the owner made a comment to my husband about doubling his money from bored tourists. Then, on a different night, the dark haired girl kept micromanaging the bartender in an insulting way...she was not allowed to converse with patrons...only serve drinks (did I mention there were four people at the bar?).

All in all, there are GREAT places close by and aways up the road. Try elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Fredonia, NY
“Great Filets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

We stopped in here on our first night for a drink at the bar. We had already eaten, but the filets coming out of the kitchen looked amazing. We returned for a late lunch/early dinner the next day. The filets were a special the night before, so I had the steak and shrimp with whiskey carrots and rice, my husband had the pork sandwich. Both were good. A few days later we noticed on the board out front "Filets" as a special. 14oz filets cooked to perfection with two sides for $28. I do not eat a lot of beef so I opted for the mango chicken salad and requested goat cheese on it, outstanding! We also had the crab stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer, yummy. The atmosphere and service are very good, and if Desi is cooking you are all set.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
westport ma
“Topper's - has it all - food, service, atmosphere!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, The Show......after a week in St Maartins, where there are many fine restaurants...my husband and I agreed "if we can't eat at Toppers, we never want to eat again!" We ate, and ate and ate again at the Topper's right on the beach next to Flamingo Beach Resort. Often after eating a few meals in one place, you hit upon a "not so hot" dish or two...not at Topper's! Menu items ordered a second time are as good as the first, new dishes, beg to be ordered again. Make sure though that you are on Island time...Topper's is not a fast food serve...sit back and enjoy the friendly service, the view of the beach, the yatchs and the sea....and of course The Food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good value, great food, fun crowd”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

What Topper's lack in location (right on the main drag and no view to speak of) it makes up with great food at reasonable prices and the portions are generous. Service can be a bit slow on a busy night but it is always cheerful and helpful. Toppers has a varied menu that everyone can find appealing. Bartender makes good drinks with plenty of "punch". The after-meal rum shots are a definite plus. We ate there on the last night of a week-long visit and we all wish we had gone sooner! Toppers replaced Bananas which was once a very popular establishment. With their current operation, Toppers will make people forget Bananas very soon.