“Great place for watching the planes take off” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 78 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Great place for watching the planes take off”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just went there to have some drinks after a day at Mullet Beach. Friendly Dutch staff and excellent Bitterballen. Also a very nice place to watch the planes take off. Good lounge music. Great place to hang out; also the beach looks nice. Will be back for sure!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food, great atmosphere, phenomenal views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I went to Karakter's based on a recommendation of family friends that spend 3 months on Simpson Bay every winter. We were on a cruise for our honeymoon that stopped for a day in St Maarten. We took a 10-15 minute cab to Karakter's and had lunch and spent the day on the beach. Our meal was great! The beach was beautiful and clean and the beach chairs were complimentary which was a plus! The beach was quiet and not crowded. Definitely a place mostly frequented by locals or people that live in St Maarten in the winters so it wasn't full of tourists. We can't wait to go back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg, Canada
“A must if you come to SXM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This restaurant is located right on the beach near the airport. Along with this great beach location we had a wonderful sax player and singer entertaining us. The food is presented as tapas. We orders the meat tray which comes with in 4 groups of 4 pieces. We also ordered the special, there was not one selection that was lacking in taste. For dessert we shared the apple pie, terrific.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
“tried it again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

After last year having a terrible experience here, my wife talked me into going again this year. Much better visit this time. Food was good and the service way way better than last year. Happy to see they are back to what you would hope for when visiting Karakter. I have been going to this beach bar when it was nothing more than a bus. I was even emailed by the owner last year after my awful visit. He assurred me that if I tried it again this year I would be happy. He was right. Thank you for listening to your customers. If your looking for a fun beach bar/outside restuarunt than I suggest checking out the place. Will be back again next year and hope things are as good.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“This place is amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I try to make sure I visit Karakter every time I am in St Maarten, which is a few times a year. It is the most awesome environment to have a meal. It is literally right on the beach, steps away from the water. Everything I have ever ordered here has been delicious, so much so that I am tempted to order and 2nd plate. The owners/staff/servers are extremely nice. And they have wifi!!!!! If you plan it right, having dinner on the beach at sunset will be an amazing experience.

Visited January 2014