What an amzing place to spend our honeymoon! I want this to be as helpful as possible to people so I will get down to the basics. The location is the best on the island. Simpson Bay is a quiet beach lined with small homes and small hotels/inns. No mega resorts or beach bars (there are a couple of beach bars at the very end of the beach, Mary Boone and Karakter. Both are super classy, friendly, and lovely!). It is an idyllic, Caribbean bay where locals and tourists quietly walk on the beach, boats moor off the shore, and the waves gently crash onto the sand. It is a 5 minute drive from the airport and all of the rental car spots are on the way. It is also a short walk/drive into the town of Simpson Bay where there is a great grocery store (with super cheap prices on just about everything but veggies), plenty of small French bakeries, some solid restaurants, and bars. We left Simpson Bay a few times to explore other parts of the island and were really only a 15 minute drive from Marigot and Phillipsburg.
Now, the one thing about the location that we loved, but others may not, was the proximity to the runway of the airport. This is a small, island airport. There are only a handful of big jets everyday. Most of the planes were small island hoppers, charters, or private planes and there were maybe 5 an hour. WE LOVED THIS! We could watch planes take off from the beach through the trees and houses. The beach isn't right on the runway and it doesn't feel dirty or gross or anything. It's actually awesome. You do hear a few planes but, 90% of the time, it is so quiet. And like I said, it's pretty awesome to watch the small planes overhead! But, if you think you hate planes, don't stay here an then write a bad review! If you don't stay here though, you are seriously missing out.
We stayed in two rooms becasue we extended our stay on the fly. The first room, Room #6, had a king sized bed, a dining table, a kitchenette, and a sizeable closet. It is right on a patio that is literally on the beach. It was 20 steps from our door to the sand and another 40 to the water. My husband wasn't a beach fan before the trip, but we spent almost every second we were here in the water and on the patio becasue of its proximity to our room. The second room, #7, was a bit smaller but, there was a window that overlooked the water and it was just as clean and cute as the first room. All in all, the rooms are cute, clean, and well appointed for a small inn. We had all of the kitchen stuff we needed and access to a sweet Webber grill and a small cooler to take around the island. The rooms are not fancy. This is not the Westin. It's better. It's like a home away from home. It's like renting a beach house. And we loved it. I gave it a 4 for sleep because the beds were a little harder than I'm used to, but others might love this. They were super comfy overall though and I love that we had enough pillows :) Oh, and there is free Wi-Fi which is awesome, and free International Calls (gasp!), which was helpful to make some calls when we extended our stay!
Mike and Fawnette and their adorable daughter live right on premises and had loads of great suggestions for what to do. They connected us wuth a sunset cruise on an old sailing vessel called the Passat owned by this great Dutch couple. They also gave us a great list of restaurants, snorkling holes, and even some good, cheap wine suggestions from the corner store.
All in all, The Azure Hotel experience was perfect. They were great, the beach is fantastic, and we've already decided to do this again and again. Even with a family, it would be perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azure is family owned/ operated boutique hotel on the most spectacular/ uncrowded beach on Saint Martin. Completely renovated. Watersports, marinas, restaurants, casinos, bars, shops all within walking distance. White sand beach, crystal clear water, the world's biggest mega yachts within a stone's throw. Kitchens, US satellite TV, AC. FREE WIFI, FREE INTERNATIONAL CALLS (most countries), FREE CELL PHONE USE,concierge. Lounges with umbrellas on the beach. Let us plan your activities. Our friendly staff will make sure you have everything you need! Azure for sure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your The Azure Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azure Beach Studios Hotel Simpson Bay
- The Azure Hotel St Maarten-St Martin/Simpson Bay