“June 2014 Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Birmingham, Alabama
“June 2014 Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We arrived in St. Maarten on Saturday June 7th around 9:30. We took a cab ride to the hotel that took around 10 minutes where were greeted by one of the hotel staff. She was very friendly and helpful in getting us settled in.

Both Michael and Fawnette were very gracious hosts all during our stay. We stayed in unit 2. It was very comfortable and clean. Michael told us about many points of interest from favored restaurants to shopping to recommended excursions.

We both took advantage of the free calling to the U.S. several times and this made our stay that much more enjoyable and convenient. The room was so close, you can hear the waves from inside. We were very pleased with the houskeeping staff and the job they did. The beach was absolutely amazing!

All in all, I would highly recommend Azure Hotel to anyone who is looking to vacation on St. Maarten.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Granbury, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband myself our daughter and son in law stayed at the azure for 3 nights preceding the chek in of our timeshare. When we arrived we were greeted by Michael who was so sweet and very knowledgeable of the island. We had room 6 and 7. Our rooms were clean But nothing fancy but that ocean view was incredible. We were just steps from the beach. Everything was just as seen on the Internet. The only real issue with room 7 is that it is a bit small and the bathroom area is TINY! Our kids were in from 6 and the second day we were there their AC unit went out around noon and was still out the day we left ( which was Saturday) basically our kids had no AC for two of the three days.Michael did try to get it fixed but as you know nothing happens quickly in the islands. He did give our daughter some money (a nights stay almost)and apologized for the inconvience but I don't think our kids were able to rest comfortably and really didn't have access to their room the second day because people were working in the room the entire day. The Mosquitos were really bad as well and it seemed as though nothing really helped, we had OFF and citronella candles but my daughter was still covered with bites. Parking is a bit of a problem.

Room Tip: Beach room and suite one have ocean noise so if you don't like the sound don't rent those ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
yakko, Owner at The Azure Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear guest,
first, we wanted to thank you for staying with us at the Azure!
We would like to again apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay.
As you know we experienced a severe power surge after a black out from the power company.
When the lights came back on the surge damaged our fuse box, air conditioners and mosquito misting pump. Everything has since been fixed and the mosquitos are in check with our organic citronella and chrysanthemum spray. The property has returned to its pleasant comfort level and all of our burnt out appliances have been replaced or repaired. I wish it could have happened faster, but we are on a small island with limited resources. Thanks again for your patience, should you return to the Azure, we will take extra care to ensure you have a perfect stay!
Pontiac, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

It was everything that we needed for the whole week. My wife and I visited St. Maarten for the first time last week and The Azure, it's mgr Michael, and the very helpful and pleasant staff, made our time superb.
The cost was super affordable, the accommodations were totally sufficient, clean, and comfy, and Michael was the best host ever. It was 32 steps from our door to a turquoise colored surprise with a white sandy beach. There was an incredible sound of crashing waves and joyful birds every morning. The location was approx 5 min taxi ride from the airport. We rented a car for 5 of the 6 days and we completely enjoyed driving all over the Island and getting lost on purpose. It felt good each night coming back to The Azure because it was like returning to my own home. Restaurants were nearby and plentiful. Without a doubt, this is the only place that we will lodge on our return to SXM.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Llano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed at the Azure for 7 days. This is the best kept secret in St. Martin. The rooms were great, clean and most importantly , they were owned by an independent couple. Ramona and Francis took care of everything. We went straight to the beach everyday. We sat, read, drank, talked and walked in the sand.its safe and has a great location. Parking is not a problem, just don't rent a big car. If you're a pilot like me, the airplane noise is music. I had planes, boats, sand and blue water. What else do you need? I'll be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are within 10 steps of the best sand in st Martin
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Michael doesn't need any more good reviews (he said he is booked solid except for September!) but I'll write one anyway. My wife and I stayed 2 weeks April 29-May 13 in the Beach Suite, room #7. This room has a queen bed, a small kitchenette and a small bathroom w/small shower stall but it sits sort of as your own little cabin off the main building. Open the curtains by the bed and VOILA! - there is the beach and breaking waves! We fell asleep every night and woke up every morning to the waves. If this bothers you, don't take this room. Bed is firm but perfect for us. The first plane is a little turbo-prop island hopper that takes off every morning (except Sunday, I think) at 7:05 am. There is another at 7:20 and then a break. The big boys don't start until late morning. You will wake up to the plane (except my wife- she didn't hear it!) and if you are a late sleeper, will fall back asleep like I did. The building next door is done so no more construction noises. We loved this little room and have already booked it for 2 more weeks in late October early November. We are seasoned SXM travelers so we didn't need Michael's presentation but he faithfully sat with each of the new SXM inductees with the road map and his recommendations for activities and dining. Everyone we met, including a sweet student from the Saba Medical School who was taking a few days rest before semester 3 started, seemed extremely happy and relaxed. I hope we can get a room next April! Thank you again for a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quieter. Garden Suite has a beach entrance and a courtyard entrance. 2 beach sid...
Willow Springs, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Rest, relaxation and healing was our goal at the Azure and we achieved this! We stayed in room six on beachside and we loved it! Just steps away from the water and the comfy beach recliners and umbrellas! Our room was perfect! New king size bed, great water pressure in the shower and a nice little kitchen. Michael was awesome and just a touch of speed dial away! There was not one recommendation that wasn't good! We ate at some really good restaurants, used the delivery service and had THE BEST massage, thank you Michael for setting up our appointments as well as taking the time to make our stay so great! We also loved cooking out on the gas grill while we listened to the surf and visited with our old friends that we travel with each year as well as our new friends from NY, Canada and Holland! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Bradenton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Our stay at the Azure was nice. The beach is great and what little I did see of Michael, he struck me as a really nice guy.

Felt a little shortchanged because we saw VERY little of him and really received no recommendations on dining other than sheet of paper he handed to us and it referenced a map, which we did not have. But my wife and I have traveled for years and can usually get by with little direction.

Our room desperately needed help. Hot water was hard to come by (you had to time your shower when everyone else was out) and the roof leaked quite a bit on our last night when all hell broke loose.

An extra attraction: The dog in the house behind our unit (#2) barked all night. But, hey, the owners of the Azure had no control over that. If I had had my pistol, I would have been able to control it.

Will we return? Believe so. I like the location and I think I would like the elusive Michael. Parking was a hassle with the construction next door, but as I stated earlier, we've been to many countries on environmental missions and can cope with just about anything.

yakko, Owner at The Azure Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Hello Tom,
thank you for staying with us at the Azure Hotel and taking the time to write this fair review!
I was not aware of the leak until now and we have mobilized our effort to address the issue.
We have had a very unusual amount of rain for this time of year and as a result our cistern
(the water collection pool beneath the hotel) was full and backed water up to the gutters. It is an easy fix, we just pumped out the cistern to a normal level and will check the roof to make sure.

The neighbor has created too much mess on the street with the construction project, but they have assured me that after this week, there will be no more mess at all!

The water comes from the power company and it is not always full blast, when they are maxed out everyone gets a drop in water pressure which leads to the water heater not getting filled up equalling less hot water. We have 2 large water heaters and most days there is plenty for everyone, but sometimes being on a little island has its draw backs...

My apologies for my "elusiveness". I did offer to give you our popular map tour, but it seems we kept missing each other. I had a very busy week handling administrative work for the hotel in government buildings all week on top of having to go to Anguilla for medical reasons. We did have a manager here in my absence that could have handled your questions and we were available by calling my cell phone anytime from the free phone service in your room. I try to walk the fine line between being helpful and being intrusive so I wait for people to ask for my assistance after I have asked them if they need help a few times. You have my word that during your next visit I will take extra care to address your needs. Thank you very much for staying with us and for your kind understanding and patience!

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!