“Wonderful 2 week stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Huntington, New York
“Wonderful 2 week stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed 2 weeks October 24th to November 7th at the Azure. It was everything other reviewers said it was. Mike and family left on a 2 week vacation as we arrived but they left the hotel in the capable hands of their lovely manager Ramona who can answer all of your questions. We stayed in #4, the 2 bedroom Deluxe Garden Suite for the first 4 nights. Lots of living space with a sitting area with TV, full kitchen with cooktop, fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. Utensils and cookware included. Only one bathroom but separate shower room and toilet room. Fine for the 2 of us. Moved to room #5, the Garden Suite for rest of vacation. 2 entrances to room from courtyard or beach. Both rooms impeccably clean and comfortable. You can tell the owners have guest comfort at the top of their list from the just installed non-insecticide anti-mosquito spray system around the entire perimeter of the property down to the worlds softest 2 ply toilet paper! Ramona is a sweetheart and an asset to their property. The beach was literally deserted during the week from end to end. Most days we had the beach to ourselves. I also hand fed their turtles bananas almost every day! They got to know when we were coming! For the money, this was a great find for us and we are already planning our return. Get ready, Mike. We'll be contacting you soon!

Room Tip: Both rooms were fine. The Garden Suite, #5, is small and the only table for eating is outside the be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel T

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Fawnette and Michael and Sky are excellent hosts. They own, live at and manage the property themselves so you could not ask for better service. The terrace comes complete with real live turtles. Very private including beach loungers and umbrellas. Literally on the beach. Because of its location, the Azure is within walking distance of all amenities. Judy and I rented a car for only two of the days we were there and toured the island (both Dutch and French sides) easily within that time frame. We also took a ferry to Anguilla (British) for a morning adventure. Otherwise, we either walked, took the local transit system and/or taxis. Bottom line is that we were in Holland, France and Britain all in the same day! We will certainly be back and will be recommending this "jewel" to all of our friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RJRL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just prior to jumping on a yacht and heading off into the sunset for 10-days, we stayed at Azure Hotel for three nights. I stayed there with two other girlfriends to relax and unwind prior to meeting up with a large group of family and friends. We stayed in unit #7 with two bedrooms, one bath, a living room and small kitchenette. The linens and towels were perfectly clean as were the accommodations. The owners, Michael and Fonette, ensured that kitchen was stocked with all the necessary cookware, utensils, dishes and towels. There was also plenty of bath towels that were refreshed for us daily. Just outside of our front door was a quaint little tortoise habitat with four friendly turtles meandering about. After several days we discovered that the tortoises really enjoyed dark green leafy lettuce as well as bits of kiwi, mango and, surprisingly, sun-dried tomatoes. The beach was literally 15 feet out of the front door and was just pristine. There were beach lounge chairs and tables for guests and in the evenings, when the owners were home, they would play soft eclectic music that could be heard at the beach and in the courtyard.

We had such a relaxing start to our vacation adventure and cannot speak highly enough of the accommodations provided.

There is construction on-going next to this small boutique hotel that is not obnoxious but work does start at about 8am. However, we really didn't find it to be a distraction to our relaxation. The airport is also very near the hotel, but again, it is not a big distraction.

For those feeling adventurous, a 10 minute walk down the beach will bring you to a unique dining experience at Karacters where your food and drink is served from an old school bus. Great food and great atmosphere.

Absolutely enjoyed our experience with Micheal and his lovely wife and daughter. Would love to return again someday however I only hope that this little gem remains hidden from the masses.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon--eNVy
Paradera, aruba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

A lovely studio right on THE Beach. Outside THE room a breakfast table with four comfortable chairs, where I found two daily papers every day. One step to the Beach and a few more into THE lovely water of a warm turqoise sea. A friendly caring host who Will try to fulfill all your wishes.
Thank you for a lovely weekend. Inez molenaar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Inez M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon and couldn't have asked for a better beach and hotel! Michael is a great host and cares about his guest. You are literally steps away from the ocean, we went swimming everyday! Great place to stay and relax.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria W
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Mike and Fawnette are gracious host. Azure is close to everything fun about the Dutch side of SXM. And just minutes away from the French side. Located right on the beach just seconds from great restaurant, bars, casinos, beaches, and more. I stay there every time I visit SXM. It's like staying with family. The cool half of the family, if you know what I mean.
Love it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Aponawave
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend and loved it so much I'm already working on my family to take a break together in the spring. Michael was fantastic as far as answering questions and communicating via email ahead of time, and so friendly when I got there. There are turtles and lizards in the garden - so cute! - and another traveler had fed them some grapes at one point.

The Deluxe Garden suite was huge and so comfortable - would have been perfect for a group of friends, since there were two private bedrooms and a fold-out futon. EASY walking distance to the public bus routes (buses come frequently). The cab driver had a little trouble figuring out where to bring me from the airport (next time I would just take the bus, now that I know where I'm going - and I do hope there's a next time) so I was glad that I printed out the very clear map provided on the website.

Getting around the island was easy: either I called my taxi driver from the airport, who had given me his card, or I just took the buses. The buses were great because they're so cheap ($1.50-$2) compared to $10-$30 for taxies ($30 was from Simpson Bay to Oyster Bay for a snorkeling trip I'd planned ahead.)

The beach on Simpson Bay is gorgeous and not busy at all. There are lounge chairs and umbrellas (a lifesaver on my last morning, when the sunburn had really set in) and even an aloe plant in the garden. All the staff members I met were friendly and kind, and I got to say hello to Michael once I'd arrived.

As much as I'd love to keep the Azure Hotel a secret so I could be sure of getting a place there on my next visit, Michael and Faunette deserve all the customers they can get at this absolute gem of a hotel. Go, enjoy, and have a blast!

Room Tip: Email the hotel - let Michael know the size of your party and your dates, and trust his recommendati...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 7 in Oyster Pond
4.5 of 5 stars 599 reviews
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!