Its been 8 months since our visit to the Azure Hotel, but we still talk about it and probably would have been back already if it wasn't for sky high flight prices from the UK !
The owners of the Azure, Mike and Fawnette (and Sky) were laid back and attentive to any request, very knowledgeable about the island and its environs.
Its a 5 minute transfer from the airport. On arrival I dumped by cases, stripped off to my swim shorts and plunged into the azure Caribbean - total time from touch down to toes in the water was half an hour - I'll never forget that.
We stayed in the beachside suite which had a small kitchenette, this served us perfectly well over our 10 night stay. Wake up to the sound of the sea then stick the coffee pot on when you rise, take 4 paces from your room and go for a half an hour stroll along the white sandy beach with warm waves lapping up at your ankles, return back via the nearest shop for fresh bread to have with your fresh coffee - a perfect breakfast, right on the beach front.
We are not really folks who like lying about all day on the beach, but here it felt normal we loved it. Jumping into the waves every now and again to cool down.
Watch out in the sand though, some dogs are left loose running and forget to take their doo-doos home.
On other days we took local mini bus trips around the island no problems and super cheap.
We also dived over 5 days with Dive Adventures in Simpson Bay.
On some afternoons we had great fun at Sunset Beach Bar located at the end of the runway watching the planes land and crazy folks hanging onto the fence in the jet wash from departing 747's!!
Easy walk to main road where you can flag down a minibus and pay about $3 to $4 to get to the runway end, same to get to Simpson Bay main strip of bars and restaurants. These options are both walkable.
There's Free WiFi available across the site - great addition and very handy in this day and age. Dont expect brand new fiitted out bedrooms, they are built and fitted out in the Island style, laid back, rustic and functional.
We would definitely stay here again - I'm sure we will be back at some point in the future.
If you're going - I'm jealous!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azure is family owned/ operated boutique hotel on the most spectacular/ uncrowded beach on Saint Martin. Completely renovated. Watersports, marinas, restaurants, casinos, bars, shops all within walking distance. White sand beach, crystal clear water, the world's biggest mega yachts within a stone's throw. Kitchens, US satellite TV, AC. FREE WIFI, FREE INTERNATIONAL CALLS (most countries), FREE CELL PHONE USE,concierge. Lounges with umbrellas on the beach. Let us plan your activities. Our friendly staff will make sure you have everything you need! Azure for sure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your The Azure Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azure Beach Studios Hotel Simpson Bay
- The Azure Hotel St Maarten-St Martin/Simpson Bay