“Memorable trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Simpson Bay
Mitchellville, Maryland, United States
“Memorable trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This review is a few months late, but I stayed here for the first part of my honeymoon. We couldn't have asked for a better location. The beach was just outside our door and was absolutely gorgeous. It was so wonderful to hear the waves while we slept at night. It was the perfect tropical location. Our room had everything we needed and we were close to markets, so we were able to buy food and do some light cooking in our room. It really felt like home for the 6 nights we were there.

The owner, Michael was super nice. He gave us all kinds of recommendations and he never steered us wrong! He helped us with choosing restaurants, places to visit, things to do and even a doctor when we needed one! I would definitely stay at the Azure hotel when I travel back to St. Maarten.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My trip with to St Maarten was Amazing! I found The Azure on Trip Advisor and am so happy that my fellow advisors led me here. I loved that so many commented on how friendly and accommodating Michael at The Azure is. And they are correct!! When we were booking our room, he was helpful and it was easy. Leading up to the vacation, he responded to my emails filled with questions within the same day - which was great. The hotel itself is in a great location! The hotel is literally right on the beach! I loved being able to walk outside to the beach (I hate schleping all of my stuff around a huge resort). The beach chairs and little tables are in great condition. It is walking distance to restaurants and bars which makes it a great home-base. We loved being on the Dutch side because it was so much cheaper than the French side. When we arrived, Michael sat down with my boyfriend and I and pointed out great locations for daily activities, snorkeling and secluded beaches etc. He gave us a list of him and his wife's favorite restaurants - which I LOVED because I'm a foodie! He set up our rental car (only $20 a day - and totally a great way to zip around the entire island). Whenever we saw him, he always asked how we were doing and if we needed anything - which we didn't because we were already content. The fellow guests were all very friendly too. We stayed in the BEACH SUITE which opened right up to the beach - the room is a studio with a queen sized bed, 2 stove top burners, a refrigerator and toaster. We loved having a kitchen in the room. The first day, we bought soda, beers, eggs, cheese, fruit and bread and made breakfast each morning and sat outside and absorbed the beautiful sights - we enjoyed saving money on breakfast because of these amenities. The room and bathroom were a little small, but once we unpacked and put our luggage on top of the armoire, it was fine. We DID NOT HEAR CONSTRUCTION. Now that we're back (and completely sad to not be in paradise anymore), while describing the trip - I immediately say 'amazing!' and 'effortless'. Everything went according to plan - mostly due to Michael and his friendly staff. I plan to go back to St Maarten and stay at The Azure at my earliest opportunity. I wish there was a higher rating than '5' because The Azure deserves it! :)

Portage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

After years of traveling from resort to resort on many islands my husband and I opted for something out of our comfort zone and are so glad we did. The Azure is obviously no secret to many and rightfully so. It is this 8 unit boutique hotel situated right on Simpson Bay beach which is totally ours in July. There are literally about 6 other people on the entire beach other than us all week. The Azure is at the very best point of the beach where you can literally walk until the water meets the sunset and find nothing but sand and turquoise water. The unit sizes are similar to your typical efficiency units. But we have the Deluxe Garden suite which has 4 separate rooms, 2 bedrooms, foyer, and a kitchen/dining/tv room combo which is as big as any unit we have had in a resort if you are looking for space. But we are not here for the rooms, we are here for the beach, privacy, and quiet and this may be the best place we've stayed in for most of the above. Oh and did I mention the service? The maids clean your place as soon as you leave. Not just once but, they sweep the sand out again, change towels, do dishes...it's like you have your own service!
Then there's the owner, Michael, who has this gift of always taking time with you to make you feel welcome, give you GREAT restaurant advice and directions, hook you up with a car for a good deal, or suggest great activities.
We're about a nine minute walk down the beach from Karakters so we took advantage of that and walked down for a drink and Tappas and listened to some live soul on Thursday and jazz on Friday. Each morning we get up and walk a block to a little market after 8 to get fresh baked bread and croissants delivered from the French side.
In other words, if you're looking for action it's not far away but if you want to truly "vacate" your life and stay where there is nothing but peace and privacy, this is the place. My husband said it best when he said that each day has felt like a long lazy day.
I will add that there is construction going on M-F that begins at 7 and you do hear it. It's next door and will continue until November 2013. We live in a very remote area so we were concerned about the noise but it just became white noise after the first day, especially on the beach where the breaking waves consume our days.

Room Tip: If you like to sit out on the deck and drink some wine as the sun sets make sure you get one of the...
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

If you are looking for the best view, and a great beach to walk and swim that is in walking distance to restaurants at a great price, than look no further. It does not get nicer than this. You can take the bus to see the other beaches, but you will realize that everything is right here in Simpson Bay for you to enjoy. Michael is a wonderful host and will help you with any plans. Make sure that you walk down to Karacters for lunch and dinner right on the beach. The food and atmosphere can't be beat!

Room Tip: We loved suite 1
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a place where the little touches are part of what make it so special and somewhere you'll be thinking about long after you go home. Azure was wonderful from beginning to end. It was five minutes from the airport and we were welcomed and shown to our room by Michael, the owner. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Deluxe Garden Suite which was not on the beach but had a full, separate sitting area/kitchen and two bedrooms (which means I have somewhere to move if snoring starts). We felt like we were in a beach apartment. The king bed was really comfortable as was the second bed. The half fridge worked great to hold beer/wine and a few other items.
The hotel provided a unique and "homey" experience including a tortoise habitat in the middle of the small courtyard. We stopped each day on our way out and in to check on the resident tortoises and take a look at the lizards, birds and plants. But there was more! The chairs, umbrellas and small tables set up against the palm trees on a beautiful (mostly deserted) beach, the chairs and tables on the patio, the attentive housekeeping staff that brought us more towels than we could use (that is a lot!), the hospitality of Michael who booked a jet ski reservation for us and always wanted to know how we were doing. Perfect combination of making sure we had what we needed and letting us enjoy the experience.
Michael and his family live on the property and never made us feel like we were intruding if we had a question. We enjoyed exploring the capitals and the entertainment on the island and our experience there was doubled knowing we were going "home" to such a wonderful place. Thanks Michael!
A few notes:
- It is near the airport and you do hear planes, but after a day or so, we really didn't notice. Granted, we usually left around 8:30 to go explore and returned around 2.
- Azure is close to everything. A great coffee place, grocery store, bars, restaurants and more.
- There is a coffee maker in the room, but no coffee packs, so put that on your grocery list.
-There is soap but no shampoo/conditioner in the shower (I had plenty and was fine, but just an FYI)
-There was construction going on during our trip and they started at 7 a.m. but it wasn't constant and we were fine.
- Non hotel note. Use the public transportation system. It was cheap ($1.50 per person per one way trip), easy (just flag a bus down and say "Stop Please" when you get where you are going). We used it the entire time and probably saw and did more because it was easy. Taxi's are cheap as well, but the bus is the way to go!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Reception and hospitality with a Big SMILE;) after our caribean sailing odyssee, the Azure Hotel smiled at us. It is a very nice family owned place, located at beautiful beach site, with splendid large rooms and excellent beds.
Service is great and even the 6 turtles at the inner court smile.

• Stayed June 2013
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I just returned from a 10 day stay at the Azure. The room was clean, big enough for two and our large suitcases, and very comfortable. The bed was actually more comfortable than my bed at home! The towels and beach towels were great, and we were able to get new beach towels each day. Although we didn't cook anything extravagant, the small kitchenette contained everything that we needed. Michael and all of the staff were very friendly the entire visit.

After spending time around Saint Maarten it became very clear that the location of The Azure is one of the best on the Dutch side of the island. It is an easy walk to several bars, restaurants, an ATM (when it's working), and even a small grocery store. However, it should be noted that you are right next to the runway for the airport and it can be very noisy when planes are taking off (which stops early evening).

I think that my only complaint is that I am a fairly light sleeper and I was glad to have ear plugs.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, even with the noise of the airplanes.

Room Tip: The Garden Suite opens to both the beach and the garden.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!