“Great Location - Great Beach - Not so Great Construction” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Simpson Bay
Santa Barbara, California
“Great Location - Great Beach - Not so Great Construction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I researched this property well here on Tripadvisor as well as other sites. All the reviews were good, and rightfully so. I stayed in the Deluxe Garden Suite which was exactly as advertised. I didn't like that there is only 1 bathroom for 2 bedrooms, but I knew that before I booked it. Otherwise, the room is fine. The bed in the master wasn't that comfortable, but the bed in the smaller bedroom was very nice. The futon is just ok. All the appliances worked well, as did the AC in every room. The location is excellent. Simpson Bay is really uncrowded and the beach is great. The water was clean and calm, and we spent days on the beach and in the water. The beach is soft sand (no rocks or shells). There is quite a bit of topless sunbathing that takes place on the beach and even in front of the hotel so be advised if that bothers you. There is a small store one block away that has basics, and a larger grocery store about 7 minutes walking. There is also a small pharmacy on the way to the big store. Between the three, they had everything we wanted and needed. Walking further down the main road, you will find a number of restaurants within a reasonable walk. Walking even further down across the bridge there are more restaurants and a casino or two. There are numerous bars and nightclubs along the main road before and after the bridge. There are also two adult entertainment establishments within walking distance if you are interested. When the sun is out it is HOT, and walking becomes a problem. We ended up renting a car for 3 days to explore the island and move around locally more easily and comfortably. The French side of the island is interesting, especially the beaches and the town of Grand Case. I didn't like Philipsburg at all on the Dutch side. Also, the hotel is right next to the end of the runway, and the plan noise can be extremely loud when the jets and expecially the jumbo jets fly by. I like planes, but others didn't seem as thrilled as I was when the big planes went by. They start at around 800AM and stop around sundown. All in all we had a wonderful time and enjoyed the hotel very much. The one big, huge detraction is the major construction project going on right next door. They are building a hotel or condos and the sawing and hammering starts at 730AM every day. It woke us up. The construction noise also bothered me while I was on the beach. Also, there were cement trucks and construction trucks in the street a number of times which delayed us a little. I would suggest that if you are sensitive to noise or like to sleep in, you should pass on this property until the construction is done.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach enjoy the sound of the ocean all night. Rooms close to the road will suffer from...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
yakko, Owner at The Azure Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear reader,
we have been getting a lot of questions about the neighbor's construction project, so I will take this opportunity to share what we know and offer some feed back from other guests.
The project has one more floor to be added, the forms and cement pouring are the loud parts and it seems that it will be over soon (they said in October). The phase that follows is mainly interior finishing so it will be much more quiet. The work comes in phases, so it will be noisy for a spell and pretty quiet for a a few days. The majority of guests aren't bothered by it. It really depends on how early you wake up and what days you are here. I will say that the Caribbean Suite and Bay Suite are the closest, if you have booked one of those rooms for a visit before November and are concerned, give us a call. Our US number is (727) 388-9822. Thank you for your interest and we hope to see you at the Azure soon! :)

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at the Azure in late May and enjoyed our trip. We actually picked this hotel due to the trip advisor reviews. This is a small intimate hotel with a wonderful owner, Michael. We did run into a few small issues and even though he was off property due to a family wedding he quickly responded and addressed the issues and even had the staff give us a nice bottle of wine. Very nice touch! I echo the other reviewer’s comments about a little bit of noise with the construction site and the airport but that didn’t start up till around 7am. Also the last plane lands around 9pm so as long as you get to bed before midnight, the noise isn’t a problem. We had a room that opened out to a patio and then directly onto the beach which was great. We didn’t use the kitchen much but it was well equipped and it was nice to make a cup of coffee in the room and then head off to walk the beach first thing in the am. The beach was always empty and the chairs and umbrellas were very nice. The Wi-Fi even worked from the beach. It’s about a 25 minute walk to Sunset bar via the beach and there is a really nice little beach bar named Karakter that is only about a 10 min walk if that. You are within a 5 to 10 minute walk of the Grande Marche, ATM, bakery and several restaurants and bars which made the location superb. Make sure to rent a car and go explore all the wonderful beaches that St Maarten/Sint Martin has to offer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

In 1 word an excellent place to stay for your holiday on beautiful St. Maarten.
They are located on a great place for a perfect value.
It's located right at the beach and for activities/restaurants right in the middle of everything.
The hospitality has been amazing, clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, thumbs up!!
An absolute GO!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and are staying here now and I wanted to write a review while everything is fresh in my mind. The hotel is a great location for everything, you are minutes away from the airport, getting here might be a little confusing because the side roads are not marked well but it's not that hard. You are a 10 minute drive from Maho beach, watch the planes land soooo exciting, and restaurants and a big grocery store are only 5 minutes away and you can even walk. DEFIANTLY try out Barnicles behind the big grocery store it's the best place we've eaten so far. The beach in front of the hotel is nice the sand is smooth and the beach chairs and umbrella's are nice. We are staying in room 3 which is a garden view room, HUGE ! Full refrigerator, microwave, toaster, a small coffee pot and even a stove. Nice shower and BIG bed what else can you ask for, if you want an ocean view you have to get one of the room on the other side but for the price we are very happy with this. Book a " Friday Fun Sail" with the Celine, listed under " activities", it's only a couple minutes down the road and the trip is WONDERFUL, ONLY on Friday's.

Room Tip: Come and Enjoy !!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I just returned from St. Maarten and Anguilla for our honeymoon. In St. Maarten we stayed at the Azure in Simpson Bay and Mike was an absolutely wonderful host, I use the word base camp to describe the Azure because we really spent most of our time exploring the island with the rental car Mike arranged for us. While at the hotel we experienced personal, high quality service, a clean room, AMAZING view of the beach from our room, and the most detailed advice of how to best enjoy our stay on the island. Mike may be the owner but he gave the best concierge service of any hotel I have ever stayed at. My wife even got a little sick during the trip and Mike not only recommended and set us up to see a doctor (better experience than seeing a Dr. in the US using health insurance by the way) but he gave us some fresh herbs from his garden for my wife to use which relieved her symptoms in the meantime. Mike was extremely personable, the hotel staff was very helpful, the location on the beach was awesome, it was convenient to just about everything in Simpson Bay and was the most affordable part of our trip. I would definitely go back as I felt like I was being hosted as an honored guest at someone's home more than I felt like I was a guest of a stuffy hotel. For the Azure, that was a great feature. I didn't get one bad recommendation from Mike and this was an excellent choice for my wife and I. I also have a bad back and Mike and his staff switched out the bed for me less than 40 minutes after being made aware of the situation allowing me to have a more restful sleep during our stay. The level of service provided by the hotel staff was also great. They did a great job cleaning the room and even did our dishes! Mike greeted us with a lovely honeymoon gift and even sent us away with a lovely honeymoon gift. I cant say enough great things about the Azure. Thanks so much Mike for making our honeymoon on St. Maarten such a wonderful experience!

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the Azure for 4 nights in April and loved it. We stayed in room #3 which was spacious and had a fully equipped kitchen, however we only used the refrigerator and coffee maker for the most part. The room itself is not on the water, but opens up to a nice courtyard and is then only a few steps to the beautiful beach, which suited us just fine.

The room was clean and well taken care of....often places this close to the beach we have found to be in second rate condition due to the corrosion and sand as a result from being so close to seawater, so we appreciated the extra effort put into this resort to keep the place looking so nice. The bed was comfy, linens were and towels were above average quality and the bathroom was typical of ones we find here in the US and had no "negative" surprises. On our next visit here, we'll bring a nightlight to plug in here to aid when using the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on the normal light, which always seems so bright at 3am.....we just forgot to pack one this trip.

The location became more and more appreciated the longer that we stayed there. At first, being literally just off the runway of the airport was disconcerting, but as we travelled the island in our rental car we began to embrace our location with such fondness that we would not hesitate to stay here again. The planes stop flying at night, so there is no noise while you are sleeping, and during the day, it is nice to hear these sounds, especially after spending a day at the Sunset Bar and grill watching this spectacle for hours.

There is construction across the dirt road, but they don't start too early (we were always up, finished our morning coffee and were out exploring the island before they even started work) and stop long before sunset, so noise wasn't even a consideration for us. There are also several fans in the room that generate a nice "white" noise that muffles outside sounds. Not sure if it would work out if you like to sleep until noon, but it might. My wife knows that if I am asleep at noon, it's time to call the morgue.

There is ample parking on the road outside, and if you prefer, you can park within the unlocked gate that leads you into the resort. We always just parked on the road and had no problems. I say some posts saying that it was a nice walk to the Sunset Bar.....I wouldn't want to walk it myself. We were glad to have our rental car. Empress Car Rental was a delight to use. If you rent a car here, I would strongly recommend these guys.

Michael is a super host and very accommodating. He pointed out several points of interest which we enjoyed visiting. He is such a down to earth sort of person, a delight to chat with. As I mentioned earlier, we would not hesitate staying here again.

Western Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just start by saying that Michael and Fawnette are the most gracious and friendly hosts anyone could ask for. It didn't take long for us to see them not just as hosts, but friends, as well.

The Azure Hotel is a wonderful little boutique accomodation, and the location could not be better....close to the airport, restaurants, grocery stores, and most importantly, one of the most gorgeous and best swimming beaches on the entire island. We were there during the low season, granted, but there were rarely more than a dozen people on the entire beach at any given time. It's a very relaxing place to be, away from the crazy-packed beaches found elsewhere on the island.

My husband and I stayed in the Tropical Suite, which was not directly on the beach, but it didn't matter much to us, as the beach was just a few steps away. In fact, we could hear the waves crashing on the shore at night from our room. Michael has put really nice chaise lounges, tables, and umbrellas on the beach in front of the hotel, and it's the perfect place to spend the day.

The room was always very clean, and had everything we needed, including a refrigerator, stove, sink, and dishes. The bed was a king and was extremely comfortable (this is a HUGE thing for us, as we are very, very picky about bed comfort when we travel). We really loved the three ceiling fans, which lulled us to sleep and allowed the tradewinds to cool our room without much need for the air conditioner.

The courtyard of the hotel is amazing and very well-kept. You can tell that Michael and Fawnette have poured their hearts and souls into this place.

Another positive was that Michael took the time to sit down with us and write on a map all of the sights to be seen and places to be visted while on the island. Not only that, but he also set up a rental car for us through the car rental company that he deals with, and they came and picked us up right at the Azure. (I highly recommend renting a car during your stay in Sint Maarten/St Martin, as there is so much to see, and because taxis can get very expensive.)

I'm almost leery to post this review, simply because I don't want everyone else to find out about this hidden gem! We will definitely be going back to Sint Maarten, and there's no place we'd rather stay than the Azure.

Thank you to Michael, Fawnette, and their adorable little girl, Sky, for welcoming us to their beautiful little slice of paradise! We will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!