“Great Honeymoon Base Camp!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Bowie, Maryland
“Great Honeymoon Base Camp!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I just returned from St. Maarten and Anguilla for our honeymoon. In St. Maarten we stayed at the Azure in Simpson Bay and Mike was an absolutely wonderful host, I use the word base camp to describe the Azure because we really spent most of our time exploring the island with the rental car Mike arranged for us. While at the hotel we experienced personal, high quality service, a clean room, AMAZING view of the beach from our room, and the most detailed advice of how to best enjoy our stay on the island. Mike may be the owner but he gave the best concierge service of any hotel I have ever stayed at. My wife even got a little sick during the trip and Mike not only recommended and set us up to see a doctor (better experience than seeing a Dr. in the US using health insurance by the way) but he gave us some fresh herbs from his garden for my wife to use which relieved her symptoms in the meantime. Mike was extremely personable, the hotel staff was very helpful, the location on the beach was awesome, it was convenient to just about everything in Simpson Bay and was the most affordable part of our trip. I would definitely go back as I felt like I was being hosted as an honored guest at someone's home more than I felt like I was a guest of a stuffy hotel. For the Azure, that was a great feature. I didn't get one bad recommendation from Mike and this was an excellent choice for my wife and I. I also have a bad back and Mike and his staff switched out the bed for me less than 40 minutes after being made aware of the situation allowing me to have a more restful sleep during our stay. The level of service provided by the hotel staff was also great. They did a great job cleaning the room and even did our dishes! Mike greeted us with a lovely honeymoon gift and even sent us away with a lovely honeymoon gift. I cant say enough great things about the Azure. Thanks so much Mike for making our honeymoon on St. Maarten such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the Azure for 4 nights in April and loved it. We stayed in room #3 which was spacious and had a fully equipped kitchen, however we only used the refrigerator and coffee maker for the most part. The room itself is not on the water, but opens up to a nice courtyard and is then only a few steps to the beautiful beach, which suited us just fine.

The room was clean and well taken care of....often places this close to the beach we have found to be in second rate condition due to the corrosion and sand as a result from being so close to seawater, so we appreciated the extra effort put into this resort to keep the place looking so nice. The bed was comfy, linens were and towels were above average quality and the bathroom was typical of ones we find here in the US and had no "negative" surprises. On our next visit here, we'll bring a nightlight to plug in here to aid when using the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on the normal light, which always seems so bright at 3am.....we just forgot to pack one this trip.

The location became more and more appreciated the longer that we stayed there. At first, being literally just off the runway of the airport was disconcerting, but as we travelled the island in our rental car we began to embrace our location with such fondness that we would not hesitate to stay here again. The planes stop flying at night, so there is no noise while you are sleeping, and during the day, it is nice to hear these sounds, especially after spending a day at the Sunset Bar and grill watching this spectacle for hours.

There is construction across the dirt road, but they don't start too early (we were always up, finished our morning coffee and were out exploring the island before they even started work) and stop long before sunset, so noise wasn't even a consideration for us. There are also several fans in the room that generate a nice "white" noise that muffles outside sounds. Not sure if it would work out if you like to sleep until noon, but it might. My wife knows that if I am asleep at noon, it's time to call the morgue.

There is ample parking on the road outside, and if you prefer, you can park within the unlocked gate that leads you into the resort. We always just parked on the road and had no problems. I say some posts saying that it was a nice walk to the Sunset Bar.....I wouldn't want to walk it myself. We were glad to have our rental car. Empress Car Rental was a delight to use. If you rent a car here, I would strongly recommend these guys.

Michael is a super host and very accommodating. He pointed out several points of interest which we enjoyed visiting. He is such a down to earth sort of person, a delight to chat with. As I mentioned earlier, we would not hesitate staying here again.

Western Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just start by saying that Michael and Fawnette are the most gracious and friendly hosts anyone could ask for. It didn't take long for us to see them not just as hosts, but friends, as well.

The Azure Hotel is a wonderful little boutique accomodation, and the location could not be better....close to the airport, restaurants, grocery stores, and most importantly, one of the most gorgeous and best swimming beaches on the entire island. We were there during the low season, granted, but there were rarely more than a dozen people on the entire beach at any given time. It's a very relaxing place to be, away from the crazy-packed beaches found elsewhere on the island.

My husband and I stayed in the Tropical Suite, which was not directly on the beach, but it didn't matter much to us, as the beach was just a few steps away. In fact, we could hear the waves crashing on the shore at night from our room. Michael has put really nice chaise lounges, tables, and umbrellas on the beach in front of the hotel, and it's the perfect place to spend the day.

The room was always very clean, and had everything we needed, including a refrigerator, stove, sink, and dishes. The bed was a king and was extremely comfortable (this is a HUGE thing for us, as we are very, very picky about bed comfort when we travel). We really loved the three ceiling fans, which lulled us to sleep and allowed the tradewinds to cool our room without much need for the air conditioner.

The courtyard of the hotel is amazing and very well-kept. You can tell that Michael and Fawnette have poured their hearts and souls into this place.

Another positive was that Michael took the time to sit down with us and write on a map all of the sights to be seen and places to be visted while on the island. Not only that, but he also set up a rental car for us through the car rental company that he deals with, and they came and picked us up right at the Azure. (I highly recommend renting a car during your stay in Sint Maarten/St Martin, as there is so much to see, and because taxis can get very expensive.)

I'm almost leery to post this review, simply because I don't want everyone else to find out about this hidden gem! We will definitely be going back to Sint Maarten, and there's no place we'd rather stay than the Azure.

Thank you to Michael, Fawnette, and their adorable little girl, Sky, for welcoming us to their beautiful little slice of paradise! We will be back!

martinez
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We are very happy we choose this hotel for our time on the Dutch side. Everything is so close to get to within minutes. Michael is so helpful with anything you will need. He really seems to care. We ate dinner at Pineapple Pete's one night and had a great lobster Thermidor. Another time we really a great night out at Karater a few doors down the beach. One day we walk to Sunset Bar and it really wasn't that far and fun to walk along the beach most of the way. The beach at the hotel is really nice with great chairs as well. We will use this hotel anytime we are on the Dutch side.

Sag Harbor, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We recently planned a 10 day trip to St. Maarten. Seven nights were to be spent at a time share so we needed a few nights lodging. I found this hotel on Trip Advisor and booked based on others recommendations. It was everything we hoped for and more. We stayed in the Garden Suite which has access to the courtyard and the ocean. It is like having your own private beach. The owner Mike is warm and friendly. He stops by and talks to each guest (sometimes with his adorable baby). Because the hotel is small, you get to know the other quests which is something that you don't see in bigger hotels. It is located a little off the main road, but we walked to everything we needed - grocery store and restaurants. We would definitely return here....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Endwell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here in January. Mike, the owner, was very congenial and the room was clean, with great, comfy sheets! It was probably the most comfortable mattress I have slept on. Also, they use the "good" TP, not the see-through TP that falls apart in your hand. We complimented Mike on his attention to detail on this one :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our second stay at The Azure was as great as the first. Great beach, great hosts, great location. Our go-to place in St Maarten. Simpson Bay is a beautiful, quiet beach. The owner, Mike, as before, was a tremendous help with arranging activities and recommending restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!