“They could make this place nice” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort

Save Saved
You added Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort to your Saves list
Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route des Terres Basses, Baie Nettle 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Baie Nettle
Washington DC
“They could make this place nice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I've stayed at Le Flamboyant before. And I was looking forward to staying there with my son and our extended family. Le Flamboyant has a wonderful beach with gorgeous views, Free water activities, great pools and grounds. Sadly, our rooms and the restaurant were dirty -- filthy -- and run down. The food on the breakfast buffet was infested with ants, The housekeeping staff tried to do a good job (I tipped) but our rooms probably hadn't been painted in 10 years, trim was coming off, and the rooms just generally felt dirty.

We spent our whole time there discussing how we would "fix" Le Flamboyant. It really wouldn't be hard. They have a lot to work with.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Do not waste your time and money to come here. You're better off sleeping in your car!!! I'm at this hotel as I type thus review now. For starters once my friends and I got here we had 2 twin beds pushed together. Then try told us we bad to pay more because there were more than just 2 people and it's for the breakfast package. I told them we'd opt out of eating breakfast and they told us no we still had to pay more money. We paid the money, then they gave us this wrist bands and told us that we had to keep them on for our entire stay so they could recognize who's guest and which plans you have. I have never in all the hotels we've stayed in had to put on a wrist band. But anyway we decide to try and make the best of it and go to the beach they have in the back and it's nothing but a bunch of boats out there. Walking onto the beach only to sink into the sand. It's like a clay or mud, it is NOT sand!!!!! The water is not blue and green the way the show in the pictures. You can not see 3 inches threw the water because of the "sand". It feels like quick sand every time you walk. So we decided well just stay in the pool. Later on that night as I attempted to lie in my twin bed and watch tv, web learned that everything is in french and Spanish. We had 1 channel in English which was HBO with Spanish subtitles. The remote has 4 buttons so you cannot remove the subtitle or change the language. I woke up in the middle of the night with aching back pains and couldn't breathe. I called the front desk and he moved us to a larger room that had 2 double size beds and 1 twin bed, which we asked for at first. We finally made it to sleep at 5 and had to be up in a few hours for this breakfast buffet which was the worse! The food is horrible!!! I do recommend the pizza parlor up the street! Great pizza! Keep in mind this is only day one. If you want to enjoy St. Maarten do NOT come to Le Flamboyant because there isn't anything flamboyant about this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

The Bad:
Beautiful property and island, horrible customer service. Never greeted with a smile, every question you ask anyone is never kindly answered. When we asked for towels at 9pm at night we were rudely told they had none, and that our room was supplied with enough (4 towels were enough for a 6 person room). This happened two days in a row and according to the front desk agent extra towels were available from 10:00am - 10:30am... really? Bartender was very rude and was actually angry she had to make us our first beverage at the property (welcome to our hotel), which ended up costing us $45USD total for one drink for 5 people. While we did enjoy one (very expensive) dinner on property, the portion size was an absolute joke and we ended up driving to a Dominos pizza afterwards for more food! Don't even get me started about their cocktail singer who was obviously tone deaf. This place is not very close to the airport, so be prepared for a $20 cab far to SXM!

The Good:
All of the things listed above are a bummer, because in reality this hotel is absolutely beautiful. Smaller then some of the resorts on the island, this property is unique because it faces a lagoon. Free water sport rentals and tours are offered daily. Two large pools all surrounded by beautiful landscape make you really feel like you are on vacation on a beautiful island. Our room was nice then expected, as we had a two-floor duplex that was more then adequate for 6 people. A large master bedroom with a king size bed and another large bedroom upstairs with three beds. Two large bathrooms, a living room, kitchen, washer and three air conditioning units made us very comfortable during our stay. The very large balcony was perfect for watching the sunset and hanging our clothes out to dry.

Did we have an awesome trip otherwise? YES! St Maarten is beautiful, rent a car (you can do this in the lobby) and just drive around the island. Going to Maho Beach is an absolute must-do to see some of the worlds largest aircraft take off and land less then 100 feet above you. An extremely amazing and liberating feeling. Enjoy meals on the less expensive Dutch side, rather then the stuffy and expensive French side.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Reservation Staff and front desk Staff allways very helpful grounds are well maintained and clean As a long time returning customer it is allways a pleasure to return We have noticed that we are not the only return couples as there are usually a few familiar faces whenever we are there
J & E New york

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

In March 2010, I spent seven days and six nights at the Le Flamboyant with my wife. All and all, I felt that staying at the hotel was a positive experience. Hence, this is the reason I gave a 3 out of 5 rating. However, there were a number of downsides/problems I had with the hotel which lowered my rating to a 3. With that said, let me first say that I do not have the highest expectations, but to give some perspective, a 5 star hotel to me was when I stayed at the Hotel Les Ondines in St Barts in August of 2009 (see my previous reviews).

First, during our check-in, the office staff seemed aloof. They couldn’t find the correct key. When they found it, they had to fix it because the number tag kept falling off. This took 10 minutes. Once I had my key, they didn’t offer to take our bags to the room despite the fact that we were on the second floor. Nor did they show us to our room despite the fact that the hotel complex is enormous and it took some time to find it. They also seemed clueless. I asked them where Alizes Car Rental was located so we could pick up our rental. No one, not even the manager, knew where it was located (despite the fact that it was literally two blocks (1 min. drive) down the road from the hotel with a huge yellow and blue sign with an arrow on the main road). Instead of calling for me, they just gave me a phone. But, I am being picky here, I did not raise a fuss – it just was not 4 or 5 star service. I am sure such service would bother many people who are looking for a 4 or 5 star caliber hotel. And, it was not if they hotel was super busy; in fact, it looked rather deserted. So, I am not sure why we received the service that we did.

The room was clean. I cannot stress that enough. If you are looking for a clean, safe hotel to explore the island, this is the place. The cleaning staff did a thorough job of sweeping and mopping the floor daily. But again, the room was rather plain. Instead of a king or queen bed, they had two separate single beds (in separate sheets even) pushed together. Instead of a couch, there was a third bed in the room (there was only two of us nor did we ask for a 3rd bed - who knows). The room had a view of the parking lot. The terrace just had plastic chairs and table – not even any lounge chairs. There was a small refrigerator and two burners which was very convenient. The bathroom was large, and again, it was always clean. But the décor looked straight out of the 80’s with orange floral drapes and orange sheets. Again, it just was not a 4 or 5 star hotel.
The hotel has two pools. I never saw anyone in them ever. But, they looked very nice (especially at night). It would have been a better view than the parking lot. We got the breakfast package. Breakfast was good. There was a large assortment of foods. You cant beat convenience of it.

The hotel did have a nice beach on Baie Nettle. It would be a great beach for kids as there are virtually no waves at all. It was nice to sit outside and enjoy the view of the bay. With that said, rent a car because there are over 30 other spectacular beaches to enjoy on the island.

The location of the hotel itself is in a good area. It was a safe and convenient location in the middle of the island. However, due to the fact of where the hotel was situated on a stretch of land between two bodies of water, in order to get to Marigot, Grand Case, Orient Beach and the rest of the French side (without driving through the Dutch side), you are forced to drive through the roughest, most densely locally populated area of the island. I never felt unsafe per se (as I have felt unsafe in my past travels to the Santiago, Dominican Republic, and Cape Town, South Africa), but if you are looking for the ultra-safe experience (i.e. St. Bart’s level of safety), I would stay on the North or east of the French side. The area is not unsafe, there are just many, many locales hanging out, going about their daily lives. At night, it is very dark and poorly lit. To some, this may feel uneasy.

In the end, I was satisfied with Le Flamboyant. It was clean and safe. It was an excellent launching point for exploring the entire island. It just did not reach that level of 4 or 5 star excellence. With that said, it was very economical. In recessionary times such as these, the Le Flamboyant is certainly a satisfactory hotel to enjoy an excellent island.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Stratford, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

The staff were friendly and more than helpful. The grounds are pretty and clean. The room was large and well maintained. There were 2 pools, and we were sometimes the only people using the less central one. Lounge chairs were plentiful both on the beach and at the pool. The restaurant meals were fabulous and generously portioned. And the price was moderate....what more could you want?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed in a clean 2 story 2 bedroom suite .with a lagoon view. 3rd story - no elevators. The balcony was private and huge. There were no complaints about the maid service.

They allow pets, and have no pooper scooper rules, so you must watch your step on the beach.

We definitely prefer the water and sand on the ocean, and never went in the lagoon other than on a jetski. The one pool we used was nice, and the other also looked nice.

The food: Nothing to write home about. Although 2 restaurants are advertised; only 1 is open at a time, and the food selection was limited. Breakfast was only available 7-10am at 1 restaurant. The breakfast buffet hot food was lukewarm; we never had lunch there; the dinners were bland, although some of the salad type food was interesting. We more enjoyed going to the local store and bringing wine, cheese, french bread and desserts back to our suite. Some of the restaurant staff was friendly - others aloof.

Entertainment: none to speak of other than 1-2 singers during dinner.

Activities: Can rent jet skis, and there are free paddle boats, kayaks, snorkel equipment. They offer assistance in planning excursions. There are no real resort planned activities. There WAS a ping pong table and a volleyball net on the beach.

Although US cable was advertised, there was only 1 English news channel - everything else was in French.

The only internet available was in the open air lobby, and you had to wait in line at the front desk for them to manually enter the password. This was a 2-3 block walk from our room.

Service was slow at the front desk and staff was a bit reserved.

The closest town was Sandy Ground, and it is depressing and run down looking, so we didn't bother to try to shop or eat there.

We ARE going back to St Martin next year, but not to the Flamboyant.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!