“A great value and Friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort

You added Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort to your Saves list
Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route des Terres Basses, Baie Nettle 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Baie Nettle
New York
“A great value and Friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Reservation Staff and front desk Staff allways very helpful grounds are well maintained and clean As a long time returning customer it is allways a pleasure to return We have noticed that we are not the only return couples as there are usually a few familiar faces whenever we are there
J & E New york

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

In March 2010, I spent seven days and six nights at the Le Flamboyant with my wife. All and all, I felt that staying at the hotel was a positive experience. Hence, this is the reason I gave a 3 out of 5 rating. However, there were a number of downsides/problems I had with the hotel which lowered my rating to a 3. With that said, let me first say that I do not have the highest expectations, but to give some perspective, a 5 star hotel to me was when I stayed at the Hotel Les Ondines in St Barts in August of 2009 (see my previous reviews).

First, during our check-in, the office staff seemed aloof. They couldn’t find the correct key. When they found it, they had to fix it because the number tag kept falling off. This took 10 minutes. Once I had my key, they didn’t offer to take our bags to the room despite the fact that we were on the second floor. Nor did they show us to our room despite the fact that the hotel complex is enormous and it took some time to find it. They also seemed clueless. I asked them where Alizes Car Rental was located so we could pick up our rental. No one, not even the manager, knew where it was located (despite the fact that it was literally two blocks (1 min. drive) down the road from the hotel with a huge yellow and blue sign with an arrow on the main road). Instead of calling for me, they just gave me a phone. But, I am being picky here, I did not raise a fuss – it just was not 4 or 5 star service. I am sure such service would bother many people who are looking for a 4 or 5 star caliber hotel. And, it was not if they hotel was super busy; in fact, it looked rather deserted. So, I am not sure why we received the service that we did.

The room was clean. I cannot stress that enough. If you are looking for a clean, safe hotel to explore the island, this is the place. The cleaning staff did a thorough job of sweeping and mopping the floor daily. But again, the room was rather plain. Instead of a king or queen bed, they had two separate single beds (in separate sheets even) pushed together. Instead of a couch, there was a third bed in the room (there was only two of us nor did we ask for a 3rd bed - who knows). The room had a view of the parking lot. The terrace just had plastic chairs and table – not even any lounge chairs. There was a small refrigerator and two burners which was very convenient. The bathroom was large, and again, it was always clean. But the décor looked straight out of the 80’s with orange floral drapes and orange sheets. Again, it just was not a 4 or 5 star hotel.
The hotel has two pools. I never saw anyone in them ever. But, they looked very nice (especially at night). It would have been a better view than the parking lot. We got the breakfast package. Breakfast was good. There was a large assortment of foods. You cant beat convenience of it.

The hotel did have a nice beach on Baie Nettle. It would be a great beach for kids as there are virtually no waves at all. It was nice to sit outside and enjoy the view of the bay. With that said, rent a car because there are over 30 other spectacular beaches to enjoy on the island.

The location of the hotel itself is in a good area. It was a safe and convenient location in the middle of the island. However, due to the fact of where the hotel was situated on a stretch of land between two bodies of water, in order to get to Marigot, Grand Case, Orient Beach and the rest of the French side (without driving through the Dutch side), you are forced to drive through the roughest, most densely locally populated area of the island. I never felt unsafe per se (as I have felt unsafe in my past travels to the Santiago, Dominican Republic, and Cape Town, South Africa), but if you are looking for the ultra-safe experience (i.e. St. Bart’s level of safety), I would stay on the North or east of the French side. The area is not unsafe, there are just many, many locales hanging out, going about their daily lives. At night, it is very dark and poorly lit. To some, this may feel uneasy.

In the end, I was satisfied with Le Flamboyant. It was clean and safe. It was an excellent launching point for exploring the entire island. It just did not reach that level of 4 or 5 star excellence. With that said, it was very economical. In recessionary times such as these, the Le Flamboyant is certainly a satisfactory hotel to enjoy an excellent island.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Stratford, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

The staff were friendly and more than helpful. The grounds are pretty and clean. The room was large and well maintained. There were 2 pools, and we were sometimes the only people using the less central one. Lounge chairs were plentiful both on the beach and at the pool. The restaurant meals were fabulous and generously portioned. And the price was moderate....what more could you want?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed in a clean 2 story 2 bedroom suite .with a lagoon view. 3rd story - no elevators. The balcony was private and huge. There were no complaints about the maid service.

They allow pets, and have no pooper scooper rules, so you must watch your step on the beach.

We definitely prefer the water and sand on the ocean, and never went in the lagoon other than on a jetski. The one pool we used was nice, and the other also looked nice.

The food: Nothing to write home about. Although 2 restaurants are advertised; only 1 is open at a time, and the food selection was limited. Breakfast was only available 7-10am at 1 restaurant. The breakfast buffet hot food was lukewarm; we never had lunch there; the dinners were bland, although some of the salad type food was interesting. We more enjoyed going to the local store and bringing wine, cheese, french bread and desserts back to our suite. Some of the restaurant staff was friendly - others aloof.

Entertainment: none to speak of other than 1-2 singers during dinner.

Activities: Can rent jet skis, and there are free paddle boats, kayaks, snorkel equipment. They offer assistance in planning excursions. There are no real resort planned activities. There WAS a ping pong table and a volleyball net on the beach.

Although US cable was advertised, there was only 1 English news channel - everything else was in French.

The only internet available was in the open air lobby, and you had to wait in line at the front desk for them to manually enter the password. This was a 2-3 block walk from our room.

Service was slow at the front desk and staff was a bit reserved.

The closest town was Sandy Ground, and it is depressing and run down looking, so we didn't bother to try to shop or eat there.

We ARE going back to St Martin next year, but not to the Flamboyant.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

As many do, let me start by saying my standards are not that high, and having stayed at the Mercure next door previously I was not looking for 4 or 5 star amenities. The hotel is clean, basic, and a great location for exploring the beaches of St. Martin. The service, it can only be described as bad, just plain bad. The front desk staff need to be in another business, they are rude, rude, rude. It is though they got the short end of the job stick and let you know it EVERY time you approach the front desk. The manager does lie about room availability, as other posters have commented. The room we were assigned was clean but as far as one could get from the main areas and over looking the garbage dumpsters. We asked to look at another room that didn't have these drawbacks, the resort was full was the answer, but we could look at an upgraded room for 250 euros, they never have open rooms but can ALWAYS upgrade you for a hefty fee. We took the upgrade at a slightly negocited rate and the room and location was great. Cleaning staff very friendly and did a great job every day.

Bar staff - The guys did a great job, busy and friendly. The 2 woman they often had working, one from the dining area and the large, tall woman were among the worst service industry people I have ever seen, they really did put a damper on an otherwise excellent vacation. You can stand at the bar during happy hour or meal service for 20-30 minutes and they ignore you, often cutting up fruit to look busy. They are the slowest bar staff I have ever seen, and only after asking a Manager for help (which he had to get the drinks himself as she was a handful to him as well). Again, the guys at the bar were friendly and knew how to move drinks when things got busy.

Breakfast - OK. Same each day but fresh and lots to eat. Often tables were not cleaned until 10 when service was done, so you had to clean your own table for one with a water view or sit near the food tables.

Did not eat lunch or dinner here. The local places in Marigot or Maho were good, maybe a little pricy. Seems the hayday for 'great' food might have passed in St. Martin.

Shopping - Seems the vendors do not want your business as much as even last year. Very much an "I don't care" attitude. Used a few cameras and watches as a benchmark and NA pricing was much much cheaper. My guess is with so many cruise passengers they can wait for a higher margin sale to someone who does't know it's $100 cheaper in the US.

Beaches - Fanatastic.

Best Option - try for the Mercure next door. Can't see how there is a 1 star difference between the 2 properties and the staff there was great last year, although a little rushed all the time. Food was excellent as well and for the price, it would be a no brainer.

Would not stay at Le Flamboyant again unless it was a selloff and would not take the all inclusive option. For what they charge you can eat very well almost any where in Marigot and the qulaity is superior.

St. Martin is a great place, Le Flamboyant, due largely to ignorant staff, is not.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Bayfield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We spent five nights at Le Flamboyant. They upgraded us to a poolside room, which was clean and spacious. The breakfast was good and it was served in a nice area with a view of the beach. We enjoyed the bar in the evenings, especially the live music two nights. Nearby we ate lunch at two great beach bars: Layla's and Ma Ti - beautiful ambiance and wonderful food.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
fourlegsspencer
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We have stayed at Le Flamboyant four times now for many different reasons.I have read a lot of the reviews and a lot of them are true,it depends what you want from your vacation.We like the location,it's nice early in the morning and at night looking over the lagoon.The rooms are clean and basic.We go out every day to a different beach and at night we like to try a new resturant.I think Le Flamboyant is a resort and not a hotel.If you are looking for a hotel to look after your every need this is not the place for you.But if you are out and about the island every day and want a clean safe place to sleep maybe have a drink at the pool bar this place works.The room rate is very good compared to other hotels on the island.
The resort could do with a coat of paint and fix some of the lounge chairs at pool side ect ect The staff can at time seem a little cold,but remember your in a different country and a different culture,so this would not put us off at all.
So to finish up this is not a bad place by any standards you get what you pay for,but if you want the best service and world class food my advise is book some where else, but you will pay a lot more money.I do agree that if you have not been to St Maarten before the star rating may make you think you are going to arrive at a more up class of hotel.But after been on the island you see the rating is right for the area.We have stayed on the Dutch side the French side is so much better.Rent a car at the airport it's worth it and they are cheap.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!