“Nothing exceptional” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
New York, NY
“Nothing exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

One of our friends who has a time share in St. Maarten labeled Cugini as "the place to go" while we were in town. I was a bit dubious given that he was suggesting that we eat Italian food while we were surrounded by excellent Caribbean options but I figured given his culinary prowess he knew what he was talking about.

We had the antipasti platter and bufala mozzarella special to start and between the four of us, we had osso buco, seafood pasta and what the waiter called amatriciana.

In summary - if I were ranking this only on service, I would definitely go back. They are incredibly gracious and friendly. However I thought that the food was mediocre - probably harsh but it was b/c our friend had upsold us the restaurant so significantly. For the price, we should have had fresh (or at least well-cooked) pasta and the food should have been less "clunky" in appearance. I thought the preparation of the osso buco was good, though my husband found it bland.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012 via mobile

Ate here almost by accident but were we lucky! Excellent food and a great waiter! We ate what he recommended and it was fantastic. One of the best lunches we had in st. Maartin. It was a little expensive $100 for 2 but go with it, its a vacation

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Cugini's Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012 via mobile

Was at Cugini's last week. Had great dinner. Our waiters Pascal and Stephane were welcoming and most attentive. Service was timely. Food was fresh and well prepared and presented. Would definitely return.

Claude

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Attentive service, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

After purusing the menus of all the restaurants up and down the Marina Royale, we decided to dine at Cugini's, and we're very happy that we did so. The service was fabulous - the waiter attentive, humorous and helpful - and the owner stopped by to make sure everything was fine. The food was extremely good and a nice break from the onion soup/escargot offerings at all the French bistros in town. The location, overlooking the boats in the marina, was lovely. A bit pricey, but worth every dime.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beloeil, Canada
“A disappointing service and attacking while going through arrogance.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Friday night, last supper with our friends, we like eating Italian. We arrived around 20h. Pascal, our server we find a table. We waited 10 minutes before a menu for 2 people. We asked for an explanation of the different specialties and got.

A lady in our group to place an order and Pascal told her she was too thin to take it. It started badly. After that, many questions of the server to see what types of pasta we would, it was quick to comment on our decisions arrogant to say that we should not eat this sauce with penne and blah blah blah ...

Moreover, he did not stop me trippoter every time he passed behind me and I felt assaulted throughout the evening. I was with my wife and I found these actions very, very moved and non-professionals. In terms of orders, we had to wait at least 1:00 before receiving our plates. Yes, we were served the anti-pastos to wait but this does not excuse the slow service. Do not take people for bags. On 8 plates, 2 were incorrect (bad pasta). Another comment in the style of the server, you'll eat them anyway was also pronounced. What arrogance. We replaced the two have dinner plates but only me and the other lady with pasta incorrect. The empty plates were being picked up when we received ours. Temin dinner (I did not finish my plate because the focus was on the déservage plates and I asked for water 2 times the server), we were offered a tract to again s' excuse but again, lack of professionals in our super server, a lady asked what the limoncello, he returned and told him a lemon tee meaning''dumb to not know''ca.

No tip, restaurant not recommended unless you can find Pascal on your taste and you are comfortable with trippotages.

Cugini, never again!