“Lovely lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Olympia, Washington
“Lovely lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a cruise ship day in Phillipsburg and having enjoyed more of that marketing center than we needed on a previous visit, we took a shuttle to Marigot to look around and have lunch. A few of the artisan street vendors at the main harbor offered unique and interesting items, but by far the best part of our day was lunch. Having read the TA reviews, we walked right to it out toward the end of the shops along the north edge of Marina Royale.

We were early for lunch so we had our choice of tables and chose one closet to the water. Lovely setting; excellent service; most enjoyable experience. I had the fish special, and while it wasn't off the charts wonderful it was simple dish very well prepared, and at 10 euros including a salad represented terrific value. My wife said the same about her carbonara. And their wine special, a chilled bottle of just fine French rosé at 14 euros on a very warm day (maybe they are all warm on St. Martin) seemed a steal.

As a bonus the solo diner at the next table (20 inches away in good French style) turned out to be the long time theater critic from NY Post, on the Island for a week. Very pleasant conversationalist and apparently a regular at this place when he's in St. Martin. It is easy to understand why a person would return often. Looking at prices elsewhere in town, I'm guessing one could spend a lot more in a less attractive setting for a meal that would not be more enjoyable.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Burlington
“Le Petite Auberge et magnifique (mostly)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Le Petite Auberge des Isles has been a staple in the in the Marigot Port Royale marina for many years and although they changed owners 4-5 years ago the quality has not diminished. Since our last visit about 3 years ago they have expanded from a capacity of about 20 to about 25 and have survived a steady decline in the level of business in Marigot.

Our latest visit was as part of a cruise from Simpson Bay to Marigot for dinner. About 22 of us descended on the restaurant at once but they were more than prepared and the 2 servers were able to fill everyone's drink order in a very short time frame.

The food was also prepared and served in a very efficient manner and we were all fed and on our way back to our original start point in less than 2 hours

My spouse and I both had the Petite Auberge salad as a starter and it was very fresh and tasty with a mixture of greens, vegetables and gouda cheese.

My spouse had the filet mignon steak as an entree and despite the fact she was not asked how she wanted it done it came out medium rare and was very tender, accompanied by rice and vegetables.

I chose the fish of the day which was Panga. I knew nothing about a Panga fish before I had but have subsequently Googled it and determined it is akin to a carp. Even though that is the case it was very tender and well prepared. I would try it again in a heart beat. We both had the chocolate lava cake for dessert which was quite good.

Overall our experience was very good.

As indicated the restaurant is located on the marina and there was continual traffic going by which is to be expected in the area. There was also a dog which took up residence by our table part way through the meal and while we are used to this in the Caribbean it may offend some people.

Overall we believe it's worth the trip to Marigot, particularly of you take the cruise through the Lagoon from Simpson Bay Resort marina

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milano
“The best in Marigot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The second evening in Marigot, we found this small restaurant very close to the Marina. We've chosen this restaurant because it was the only one still opened, even if it was not so late. The atmosphere is very good, everything is perfect and clean (you can see the kitchen). There are few tables and the menu is fantastic. We spent less than the average for Marigot and the food was excellent. We went there three times during our stay in Saint Martin, with our friends also, who enjoyed the food too. I'm Italian and, for sure, I had the best Tagliatelle alla Carbonara abroad: superb! Every dish is prepared with care and it's a masterpiece. I would recommend to everyone: good food and very good prices. The staff is also delicious!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salem MA
“Nothing Special About Pre-Fixe Menu Items”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We went to this restaurant as part of a lagoon cruise to Marigot. We had had lunch at the Tropicana earlier in the day and made choices from the regular menu. On this package, you had an option of either a chicken, fish (mahi-mahi) or filet mignon in a bearnaise type sauce (I forget the name of the sauce, but it was is in that vein.). None of the more ambitious menu items was offered. Clearly, this was a value menu, not one to show off what the chef can do. My wife ordered the fish and I ordered the filet mignon. Ordinarily I don't order a filet mignon when I order a steak as, while it's tender, it lacks fat and rich flavor that a cut like a rib-eye can offer.

The waitress did not ask me how I wanted it cooked, so I asked her a few minutes after I ordered how it would get cooked. She offered that it is ordinarily cooked medium rare. Fine. That's how I like it.

When the main courses arrived (I won't say entrees, because in French cuisine, the entrees are the appetizers), I noticed that the filet was grey, though covered with the sauce. It looked overcooked to me. I tried it and, indeed, it was. It was dry and chewy. I showed it to the waitress and she concurred, and took it back. A few minutes later, a new plate of it arrived. It still looked grey, but it was much juicier. The sauce was tasty, but I was still dismayed at the meat. I mentioned to the waitress that I normally expect a medium rare filet to be a bit red inside. She replied that it was pork, not beef. It did not say so in the description. There are those who do object to eating pork (I'm not one of them), and not describing it as pork could have offended. Moreover, being described as a filet mignon, I was certainly expecting beef. The waitress replied that it was a filet mignon of pork. We call it a pork tenderloin. In France, they call it a filet mignon of pork. Again, there was no mention that the meat was pork on the menu.

We had a decent, but nothing special salad, and a decent, but nothing great dessert.

All in all, I could give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt that their prix fixe menu was not their best foot forward, but really, why put out merely decent food when it's possible that it's a restaurant-goers first and only impression. So the food wasn't bad, but given that we had such better French food on the island, this was closer to so-so.

The location? I love the lagoon view. You are right next to the water, with boats docked all around. It's quiet there. Very relaxing. A nice place to eat. We did enjoy the Tropicana restaurant 50 feet or so away quite a bit more.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, New York
“A pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We took the Calypso Dinner Cruise, which brought us here for dinner. From appetizer to dessert, my fiance and I loved every bite!

• Visited April 2012