“Ballerina Jewelers..Zee Best on SXM” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 46 Shopping in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: “Ballerina Jewelers” celebrates their 25th anniversary this year! This 25 year Journey began when young and ambitious, Sam Mirpuri left his native India and arrived in the Free Zone of Tangier in the early fifties. At just 17 he had already decided that his future lay in the Duty Free Sector. After his marriage he moved to Casablanca, a cosmopolitan city strongly influenced by Franco-European culture where he raised his three sons, Peter, James and Mike with the advantage of a multicultural education.Fluent in several languages, they were immersed in the world of business at a very young age and, without knowing it, predestined to follow in their father's footsteps. Realizing in the early 80s that the future was starting to look bleak, James Pioneered to St Thomas in the Caribbean where he started working for his uncles and eventually moved on and established the first Ballerina Jewelers. He was soon teamed by his brothers who were equally talented with good business skills. However they were untrained in the field of jewelry. Over the time and through a serious apprenticeship they learned the jewelry trade. St Thomas proved to be a perfect stepping Stone for these young men. At the same time the island of Sint Maarten–Saint Martin, was economically evolving. Mike and Peter decided to explore the idea of opening a new boutique there. They could see the potential offered by Philipsburg. Front Street at that time was a narrow, bustling lane, lined with lively bars, restaurants and pubs with very few Jewelry Stores than there are today. Recognizing the early opportunity they searched for the ideal site and did find one, but it was too small and needed some structural changes. Undaunted, Mike and Peter set off to toil. It was 1987 and the adventure had begun as they celebrated the opening of the very first Ballerina Jewelers in Sint Maarten. The initial years were quite a challenge. They knew no one, and could rely only on their brotherly support and the newly gained experience in the Jewelry industry. They devoted themselves wholeheartedly to their work. A unique inventory was built with the help of supportive Vendors who believed in the Mirpuris who were Honest and Hard working and constantly seeking something different and exciting by visiting prestigious American and European jewelry houses and training programs around the world.In the early 90’s Ballerina expanded their business and opened additional boutiques, spacious, comfortable and hospitable. With more locations, Ballerina has built a very strong buying power straight from the sources and pass on all those savings directly to the customers. The Mirpuri brothers reflect the essential principles of their father Sam, "The client comes first and we are there to serve him. Our role is to ensure that he is satisfied at any cost". They will always be true to this precept whatever it takes. Indeed, a dedication to quality and to impeccable after sales service is the key to their success. Always striving to satisfy an increasingly demanding clientele, in 2003 they opened a new boutique at Harbour Point Village. Situated right beside the cruise ships, the store caters to the passengers who don't much venture into town the opportunity to buy from Ballerina's exclusive collection. The new millennium has marked a decisive turning point throughout the profession emerging with new tendencies in jewelry as well as in luxury watch making.With six locations characterized by sleek lines and optimal lighting, Ballerina Jewelers ‘showrooms serve as the perfect environment to house prestigious and avant-garde timepieces. Showcasing over forty brands, Ballerina offers watches by Roger Dubuis, Franck Muller, Cvstos, Pierre Kunz, Perrelet, Bell & Ross, Graham, Frederique Constant and many more. Serving as a perfect complement to the exquisite timepieces, Ballerina jewelers also houses exquisite jewelry collections by a host of renowned designers, like Stefan Hafner, Tacori, Simon G, Leo Pizzo, Rodney Rayner, Shambala and much more... Like every achievement has many hands behind it, Mirpuri brothers nurtured this beautiful empire along with the sales team at Ballerina Jewelers which is comprised of forty highly trained watch and jewelry enthusiasts, who maintain their level of expertise through vendor-sponsored trainings, weekly in-store educational sessions and through a host of trade and publications.This team of dedicated employees has grown along the years and today is not just a team of employees but part of the Family…If you are visiting a Ballerina boutique for the first time you will no doubt be surprised by the warm, family atmosphere of the store. One thing that has not changed since the first jewelry store opened a quarter century ago is its relaxed atmosphere. It has the same flavor it’s always had. Now, more than ever, a friendly welcome and attentive service are the first priorities of the Ballerina family. Thanks to this policy of customer satisfaction and service, Ballerina is proud to have built up over 75 percent of repeat customer base. Faithful clients know full well that, the Ballerina team will do all it can to satisfy their wishes. It is a leap of faith to buy a piece of fine jewelry or a luxury watch in a vacation spot, but close to 25 000 people place their confidence in Ballerina and return time after time. It is clear that Ballerina is the most trusted Jewelry store in the Caribbean. Behind the typically Caribbean façade of their store you will find a dedicated soul because as quoted by Mike Mirpuri who once read these words that stuck in his heart “the friendship of those we serve is the foundation of our progress”.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
6 attraction reviews
“Ballerina Jewelers..Zee Best on SXM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I own timeshare on SXM and have been going to Ballerina Jewelers for years. I have never been anything but happy with any of my purchases. They are reliable & reputable & have been doing business on this Island for years. I have had a lost tanzanite stone replaced in my ring free of charge. I have referred many friends & familiy members here through the years & they have been pleased as well. I will continue to refer my friends here. I would find it hard to believe that anyone would be disappointed with any purchases made here or with any quality of any stone. Ballerina Jewelers will go above & beyond every time. I can't wait to visit again this November!

Visited November 2012

Stouffville
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent and Trustworthy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am very shocked and saddened at the individual who states he felt that Ballerina's were fraudulent. All I can say is that for some reason he must have a vendetta against Ballerinas because I can assure you that they are VERY TRUSTHWORTHY! I have been dealing with Ballerina Jewelers for over 8 years now. I have only ever received the best treatment from them. All of my jewellery has been re-appraised by the appriasers in Canada as being much higher then or equal to what I paid for it in St. Martin. The staff at Ballerina's are very careful to explain what you are getting, especially when you are choosing loose diamonds to place in a setting. They have always explained the differences in quality and in cost. Once Ballerina has received the appraisal for a peice that I have bought, they have always forwarded it on to us in a timely fashion. You must remember, that they do not have the appraisals on site, and therefore it does take time. Anyone who has ever dealt in the Carribean, knows that the mail takes forever to get there and back. We have recommended friends and family, both of whom have also shopped at Ballerina's and they have raved about the pieces they bought as well as the customer service. Unfortunately, you get a person on here once in a while that for some reason wants to damage the reputation of a very trustworthy and successful company. I hope that people will not listen to this one individual, but to the hundreds of others, that are and continue to be very satisfied customers of Ballerina's. I travel to St. Martin from Canada every year (sometimes twice if my husband lets me), specifically to buy my jewellery and will continue to do so. I hope you do as well!

Visited May 2013
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Best Jeweler in St. Maarten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I have been dealing with Mike, Ravi and the gang at Ballerina for more then 20 years and can't say enough about the quality of their products and the service we have received over the years. They are of the highest integrity and honest to a fault. I have recommended them to many friends and no one has ever had a problem with what they bought when appraised. If there ever was a problem they respond quickly and it gets resolved without any hassle. We will be back in October and we will be stopping by to see them. Ed Campbell, Charleston, SC

Visited May 2013
Long Island, NY
“Balerina Jewelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

If you're shopping for jewelry in St. Maarten, the place to stop is Balerina Jewelers. Their main location is on Front Street with another fine location at the cruise dock. We've shopped for our jewelry their for over 25 years. The service is excellent and always friendly. We have always been pleased with our purchases and have received many complements on the numerous items we acquired from their stores. We have been so pleased with the integrity of the owners that we always highly recommend that our friends who visit the island stop there also.

Visited January 2013
Ft. Myers, Fl.
“Ballerina Jewelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

All visitors to the Island, just wanted to say have been doing business with this store for more than 23 years. The entire staff is the most gracious and honest people I have ever done business with. Over the years I have bought several pieces of jewelry including several diamond rings, excellent prices. When they have been appraised in the US for insurance purposes they appraise for more than I paid. We have sent several relatives and friends into the store and have always been told what great prices and jewelry they found. I have even returned items that i had to have, and found when I got home they never came out of the safe. I was really surprised when I was offered a refund after a year. Of course I refused and shopped for other items. The Mirpuri Family has become not only our dearest friends but our extended family. I would not hesitate to recommend this fine store.

Visited November 2012