“Didn't meet Expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Villas on Great Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
Villas on Great Bay
You added Villas on Great Bay to your Saves list
211 Front Street, Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Eyota
“Didn't meet Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife, I and two other couples stayed in villa 2 for two weeks in February 2011. This was a trip planned 10 months in advance of our arrival. Actually we had tried to get into villa 3 but the owner {Victoria} was going to be using it. Josh put us in contact with Doug who owns villa 2 and we set our reservation for the six adults for the two weeks. It was always going to be six adults. Josh, Victoria, Doug, and presumably Frank and Sandy knew the number. When we arrived we were greeted by Frank and Sandy and brought to the unit. We were presented with two sets of keys and told we would soon have a third set of keys. To be clear to get in or out of this complex you have to go through three sets of door locks and gates. It was six days later that I finally got my set of keys. We had planned to use the grill that was supposed to be with this villa but there was some issue with gas being available, Frank did find some the next day. we were told that we had gotten to good of a deal and we were asked to pay an additional $700.00. Fortunately we had a copy of the contract and the price was in our paperwork. Another couple we knew from Minnesota happened to be on the island and visited us a few times during the week they were on the island, for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. At the end of our stay Frank and Sandy collected $120.00 for the four days our friends visited us. On about Wednesday the 16th, a plastic folding patio chair I sat on exploded under me. I crashed to the ground. I had back surgery a year ago and have a serious condition of my lower back. Luckily I was not injured just shooken up. Frank and Sandy wanted to charge me $35.00 for the chair. They dropped that from the final bill. While the unit was clean, well supplied and recently updated there are issues. The TV's worked on occasion, there aren't any exhaust fans in the upstairs bathrooms, if you wanted a hot shower don't be the last one in line, the water heater is solar powered. I can see that this might be a decent place to visit, my overall impression was not good. With all the lodging options on this island, {I have stayed in timeshares and hotels on this island} I would not go back to the 'villas'. Jim Baier, Eyota Minnesota USA

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

While we are reluctant to share our secret with the world, the secret is out. The location, the quiet, safe, friendly villas offer the best of location, convenience, friendly company and quiet just steps away from restaurants, shopping and the beach. This year was our first time meeting Frank and Sandy. They welcomed us and made our entry into vacation so easy. Cold drinks in the refrigerator and a small snack to get us by until we could get to a restaurant welcomed us into unit #7. We enjoyed the quiet safe space with access to a small but inviting pool. Frank and Sandy were always nearby in case we needed directions or suggestions and to take feedback regarding the unit. Our single complaints were the poor quality of some of the linens, lack of adequate plastic cups for beverages at the pool and the obvious absence of a blender - it's a beach destintation! Frank and Sandy are prompt to act on any comment or need. Overall, this is our dream vacation - St. Maarten and the Villas are a perfect, size, perfect location and great space for a week in paradise. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Brewster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Stayed at the Villas on Great Bay in February. What a great vacation - villas are well equipped, location is wonderful and close to everything you need. Property managers, Frank & Sandy, are extremely friendly, very accomodating, and welcomed our children with open arms. Anything you need from a taxi connection to a restaurant tip, they will help you with anything. A wonderful stay at the Villas on Great Bay and we will definitely be back (even to listen to the nightly roosters).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband & I along with another couple recently returned from our vacation at the Villas at Great Bay. Villa #2 totally exceeded our expectations. The managers, Frank & Sandy were super friendly and very helpful. We met 3 other couples who were also staying at the villas and had a great time with them. Some of the villas need some TLC, but they are a great deal especially for 2 couples. Nice pool, beach and close to shops and bars/restaurants. We love the area & are planning to return next year and stay again in Villa #2.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

During my 35th stay at "The Villas," formerly '"The Townhouses," I was delighted to meet the new managers, Frank and Sandy Ferencz. Their enthusiasm and care reminded me so much of friendliness and cooperation shown by former managers of years gone by, "Bob and Sam." Over 35 years, I have witnessed the very worse of the place. Now, with Frank and Sandy there, I definitely see a revival afloat! I was also delighted to see how many more units were being used, an indication of the growing popularity of the place. "The Villas" have always been a delight for me; a trip I look forward to so eagerly. I am especially grateful to Dr. and Mrs. Honick whose kindness permits us to be 'guests' in their Unit 4. Only 47 weeks and 6 days to visit #36 - but who's counting!
[Fr.] Mike Boccaccio

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Everything was great at the Villas. The unit was extremely well equipped and the managers were wonderful. It really was one of the best places we have ever rented online and I hope we can get back soon. I would highly recommend a stay there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Stayner, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Better then staying the typical all inclusive resort holiday, location was great, Frank and Sandy welcomed us with open arms and looked after us well furring our stay. The infinity pool looking out at the ocean was amazing . Must check out ouh la la restaurant for crepe breakfast as well as local barbecue across the street .
I would recommend this place to stay to others.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas on Great Bay? Share your experiences!