“Best thing to do on the island” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Sailing
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can participate in a mini-America's Cup boat race in actual boats from the 1987 competition, including Dennis Conner's famous Stars & Stripes.
Anchorage, Alaska
“Best thing to do on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a brief introduction to The America's Cup history we were split into teams. If you are lady that DOESN'T want to be the team captain, don't look like it. Then off to the boats to learn your job, and off to race. Free water, sod, or beer on board the boats after the race. It was well worth it.

Visited August 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“Experience of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Our family of five (49, 44, 17, 16, 16) sailed on True North in St. Maarten, beating Stars and Stripes in our race. We had a great time. There are more people than jobs, but they switched us up so everyone got a turn. It was not as fast or exhillerating as we'd anticipated -- there were definitely times the boat went really slow ... Overall, though, it was very enjoyable and we all had a great time. Our hobbies and activities haven't ever provided a chance to learn about sailing and America's Cup, so this was an experience of a lifetime. I hope we have an opportunity to do this again. I would strongly recommend it to everyone -- especially if you have a large group. NOTE: There are drinks on the boat, and rum punch back at the dock. You will not need a swimsuit or towel -- but I can see how you could get a little wet. They'll put your bag, etc. in a spot to keep it dry. Bring some cash for tipping your crew. T-shirts and photos are available back at the dock.

Visited July 2012
Baltimore
18 attraction reviews
“So freakin cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

I just started doing a little sailing so I was pretty geeked out over this. We purchased a package that included tshirts and had the best time. We volunteered for jobs however they had more people than jobs so we had to share. No biggie though, that gave us more time to take pictures and drink beer. We'd love to come back and do it again with our son.

Sunrise Beach, Missouri
“"Stars & Stripes"!! Awesome 12 Metre Yacht!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

First off - Yes we WON!! Beating Canada II. The is a must and will do it every time we go to St Maarten. Having owned a sailboat (23ft day cruiser), getting to sail a piece of history was way cool! The Skippers are competitive even though they do this day-in and day-out. We had Captain Morgan (not the kind in a bottle) as our's and he was all business. When you have a bunch of inexperienced people sailing a multi-million dollar yacht you need to be. The excursion lasts approx 3 hours with 2 hours on the boat. Our race was about 1 hour with time at the end for others to skipper. No one else wanted to so I was able to take it for the entire time. She slices through 6ft seas like butter. What a thrill it was behind the wheel of a 12 Metre!

The price seems a little high at $99 for cruise ship people. We had 18 people on ours so I would like to sail it with fewer people (or add the third yacht). Overall, I highly recommend this to anyone.

Visited June 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
4 attraction reviews
“NOT FOR SAILORS!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

After seeing the two yachts moored from my dive op, I found out that bookings were handled by Sand Dollar Sports. Before booking I stressed to their rep that my sole interest was in sailing one of the yachts for some part of the excursion. He assured me several times that this would not be a problem. NEVER HAPPENED! This is perhaps an ok excursion if you arrive on a cruise ship, but if you are a lifelong sailor, skip this and charter a yacht. It was a waste of my money!
Jeff in San Antonio, Texas